Latex mattress feels too cool in winter. Any remedies?

We have a Flobeds latex mattress and while we love it, it just feels too cool during winter months.
What can I do to make it feel a little less cool? My wife is pregnant so would like to keep her warm.
Would a wool mattress topper help?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Jaehoppa.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

We so frequently get questions about how to cool off a mattress that it’s exciting to pick up a question about how to warm one up!

There are a lot of factors that contribute to one’s sleeping temperature on a mattress. In very general terms … the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Wool is among the best temperature regulating materials, but keep in mind that it regulates temperature in both directions (it’s used in the desert and also in cold climates because of this) so while it may not feel “cool” … it generally doesn’t feel “hot” either, but in thicker layers and higher concentrations it can have a more insulative impact. It also helps to regulate moisture and reduce the perception of temperature that comes from higher humidity levels (similar to how temperatures feel cooler on less humid days than they do on more humid days).There is more information about wool toppers and how they compare to various foam toppers (at least in very general terms) in post #8 here and in posts #3 and #6 here and there are some additional comments about wool toppers and a list of some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

I hope this helps you get started!
NikkiTMU