Latex mattress for 3 years old girl - questions

We plan to buy new twin bed for our girl. She is 3 and weight about 40lbs now.
Not sure about firmness - mostly cause I read firm is required. But I dont want too firm for her due to her weight.
And thickness - best configuration would be 6" medium base with 3" super soft topper?
I also consider 1 layer 6" or 8" (soft or medium)?

It will be 100% natural dunlop (aprico latex)

Hi pix530,

[quote]We plan to buy new twin bed for our girl. She is 3 and weight about 40lbs now.
Not sure about firmness - mostly cause I read firm is required. But I dont want too firm for her due to her weight.[/quote]

Everything will tend to feel “firm” for younger children, as they don’t have as much mass. There’s some good information about choosing a mattress for a child in this post, and there’s more information about firmness guidelines for children in this post. Outside of the toddler range, a “medium to medium-firm” surface comfort is generally advisable. Of course, there are not “exact” recommendations, as there is of course no single firmness that is best for all children or all people, and different manufacturers will have different definitions of different firmnesses.

[quote]And thickness - best configuration would be 6" medium base with 3" super soft topper?
I also consider 1 layer 6" or 8" (soft or medium)? It will be 100% natural dunlop (aprico latex)[/quote]

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Having a core with a separate topper piece would give you more flexibility to create a slightly softer surface comfort (and the ability to customize down the road), but generally accepted guidelines would tend to lean more toward a more “medium” surface comfort for a growing child versus a “super soft”. As you’re considering latex, you would be using a good quality and durable material.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, I already made a great purchase in the past, using this forum and ur advice.
Before asking questions I read carefully all the information provided.
Agreed regarding medium, in general this is what recommended the most.

regarding thickness and layers I still in doubt. Will figure it somehow.

However, I have one question in general. Why dont people select/buy/use any cheap mattress firm as a base and just add latex on top.

Now I have 9" (6+3) of latex, while I could buy theoretically any cheap 6" base and use great quality latex 3" on top…

Hi pix530,

All of the components of a mattress/sleep system work together to provide support and comfort. If a high quality material (such as a latex topper) is placed upon a “cheap” base (perhaps using low density foam, poor quality construction or a low quality innerspring unit), the topper will have no choice but to conform to the poor quality and less durable material upon which it is placed, and it will eventually sag and will not be as durable. Some people do decide to purchase a more basic innerspring mattress with less padding material and then place a latex topper on top of it, but they still make sure that the base mattress uses good quality and durable materials.

Phoenix

My case is kinda complex. I have bought Hemnes daybed, which is twin and can be king if desired.
So I need to find mattress same height as other side.

Basically, the idea around the bed is that when used as twin - one mattress in sitting on top of another. I have one mattress I can use. Ikea foam. Its about 4" only. So if I add 4 inches of latex it might work as combination of 4+4 when mostly used by baby girl.
However if I do 6+3 for example, then I need to buy 2nd 9" mattress, and this will make 18" which is kinda high for baby…

My retailer has 2, 3, and 6 inches height only. I can go with 3inches of medium, and use it on top of 4" Ikea when in twin…

Also, some doctors recommend 4" MAX mattress height for kids 3-6 , and 5" for kids 6-12. I am not sure what is the reason to significantly limit mattress height. Any ideas?

Currently I consider different options. One idea from local retailer sounded interesting.

1" soft + 4" core +1" medium

This way as she gets older and needs more support she can just flip the bed. So there would be a total of 6" of latex.

Hi pix530,

Yes, the Hemnes daybed is a unique concept. The only potential issue is having too much material when the products are stacked together, creating an unsupportive twin mattress combination. This type of product is most commonly used with thinner polyfoam or latex mattresses.

If you’re keeping the 4" polyfoam mattress, my main concern would be that it is substantial enough in firmness to provide a proper base for any material you might place on top of it. For a smaller child, a medium to medium-firm latex topper certainly could be a good choice. I do agree that 18" total would be a very tall product and I would worry about her getting in and out of the daybed.

Thickness is mostly a by-product of mattress design, so I couldn’t tell you the reasoning behind a doctor recommending a specific thickness, unless it was an overall height issue for a specific bed set. There is more about the effect of thickness in [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/memory-foam-toppers-do-any-good-ones-exist]post #14 here[/url.

Something like this could certainly work well for a growing child. Would you then purchase two of these to get the height matching for the Hemnes, as the 6" would be thicker than the 4" Ikea foam?

Phoenix