Latex mattress for 4 year old

Hi:

I am in the market for a new mattress for our 4.5 years old son.
His bed size is Full.
I currently own Sleep EZ 10000 I purchased from www.sleepez.com

I have spent a bit of time looking at a few kid related mattress posts.
I am thinking 6 inch natural dunlop or talalay mattress.

Should I select firm setting with ILD between 28 to 32?
Should I got with bamboo, cotton cover?

One option we are considering is from arizona mattress which is a member here.

It comes with 6 Inch core and 2 inch topper. the topper is 22 ILD and we can choose a core with firmness of 32 medium or 36 firm.

Will this work for a 40 lbs child. We hope that this mattress lasts for 10 plus years.

Let us know if you have any suggestions for me. It will be awesome of someone has had good experience with a mattress purchased for kids.

Hi newkidontheblock,

Post #2 here includes links to most of the better forum threads about children and mattresses including links to some very good quality/value options.

Both SleepEz and Arizona Premium are members here which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and would certainly make a great choice. If you are looking at a latex mattress though for your child though … I would lean towards a 6" mattress in the medium/firm range (28 ILD is probably the lowest I would generally consider) with either one or two layers and leave off the softer comfort layer until they are older and their bodies begin to mature.

This type of mattress will easily last more more than 10 years (either by itself or with a topper).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Based on my reading and what you mentioned above I called up sleepez to place an order for 7000 series Latex mattress.
The price was $1095 minus 5% membership discount. I would have gone with 3 inch firm dunlop base and 3 inch medium/firm Talalay on top.

https://www.sleepez.com/latex-mattress-7000.htm

When I called they they told me about their current special.
https://www.sleepez.com/yearend-special.htm

It is 7 inch dunlop mattress. One side is 40 ILD and other side is medium plush 24 ILD.
Its cover is organic cotton but it uses rayon for barrier instead of wool used in the 7000 series,
This mattress does not come with zippered cover so the layers cannot be exchanged.
The warranty is 10 years instead of 20 years offered by 7000 series.
Price for full mattress size is $695.
Shawn told me that at my son’s body weight he will be fine for 24 ILD on one side and I will have the option to flip the mattress to a much firmer side.

I know that you mentioned that I shouldn’t go with ILD lower than 28 so I am having trouble deciding if I should pay $350 more for 7000 series or take the savings offered by ROMA special. If the mattress was for me I would have considered the ROMA but I am buying this mattress for my 4 year old son.

Let me know if you have any opinion on these two mattress.

Hi newkidontheblock,

Given your son’s lighter weight and that it’s Dunlop (which is denser and gets firmer faster than Talalay as you compress it) I would say you would be fine as well.

Phoenix

I ended up purchasing Sleep EZ 7000. It chose all natural Dunlop 3 inch base layer in Firm. ( about 36-40 ILD)
I also chose 3 Inch synthetic Talalay in medium for top. (32 ILD)

Even though the special was a great value($400 cheaper) I did not feel comfortable with 2 inch plush layer of the roma special. I got 5% membership discount, 2 free standard pillows, wool instead of synthetic barrier.

Received the mattress yesterday. Since the mattress shipped in pieces unlike the special it was easy to move it up to the bedroom. Mattress was of the same great quality I have come to expect from Sleep EZ.

Hi newkidontheblock,

I think you made a good choice (I probably would have made the same one) and your son will not only have a great mattress to sleep on for many years but you will also have good options available when he matures if his needs or preferences change.

Congratulations on your new mattress … and thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix