Latex mattress for wheelchair user BMI 13

No mfg on your list will recommend mattress for me. I am 75lbs, ill and wheelchair user, so sturdy sides a must & not higher than 10". Hubby is 170lbs, we are both thin and over 55. Had S&F Latex for 15 yrs so thought Latex was right choice. Am I missung something?

Hi Rehabgal,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about your illness. :frowning:

While of course I wouldn’t have been part of your conversations, I would find it curious that you’ve contacted every single site member and they’ve all refused to recommend a mattress to you, unless your specific requests have been unrealistic or you’ve asked for combinations of materials that are unavailable.

If you’re looking for all-latex mattresses that are under 10" in thickness, that is widely available, both from site members here and elsewhere online. Some even offer component-style systems where you can customize the comfort on one side versus the other. The one issue you might run into here would be the edge reinforcement system, as in an all-latex system there will generally not be a polyfoam “racetrack” edge encasement around the perimeter of the product. Thinner and firmer all-latex mattresses, commonly using Dunlop latex, will tend to feel a bit more substantial along the edge, but again generally will not contain a specific edge reinforcement system.

Most foam mattresses (including latex) don’t have or even really need side support if they have a support core that is firm enough and the comfort layers aren’t too thick and/or soft for the person sleeping on it, but your needs may be specific and different. There is more information about edge support with latex mattresses (or other foam mattresses) in post #3 here and in post #33 here but with a latex or latex hybrid mattress (one that uses a polyfoam core or a pocketed spring support unit with latex on top) that is a suitable firmness level relative to the person sleeping on it then it normally wouldn’t be a significant issue for most people unless you often sleep or sit with most of your weight concentrated on the very outside edge of the mattress although the outside edges of a foam mattress would generally be softer than an innerspring mattress that has a specific edge support system.

The only way to know for certain whether the edges of a specific latex or other foam mattresses will be suitable for your specific body type and sleeping style or your preferences will be based on testing the mattress in person (or a mattress that is fairly similar) before a purchase or by actually sleeping on it (if you can’t test it in person before a purchase) and if you are uncertain whether you are one of the few that may “need” firmer edge support then a good return/exchange policy may be a more important part of your personal value equation just in case you are one of the few (generally in higher weight ranges) that needs or prefers a firmer edge.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know of any latex mattresses off the top of my head that have added edge support although there maybe a few that I’m not aware of or that don’t immediately come to mind.

If you have more specific details you’re looking for, I’ll do my best to be assistive.

Phoenix

Correct, none with added edge support like the S& F we had. That edge support as you know, is hallmark to them.

Would a gluded mattress (Zen) be sturdier than individual loose layers?

Hi Rehabgal,

I don’t know about the edge reinforcement being “hallmark” to Stearns & Foster, but there was an injection-molded foam encasement that they used on select innerspring mattresses that was very sturdy, if that is what you’re referencing, but that innerspring unit and method of edge reinforcement was abandoned by them well over a decade ago. Maybe your old mattress had this system in place (I wouldn’t know for sure without knowing the old model name, which I know is a bit of a moot point)?

Regarding your other question (I’m not sure what you’re referencing by “Zen” – maybe ZenHaven?), there can be a bit more solidity with all of the latex layers of a mattress glued together, but this would depend equally, if not even more, on the type, thickness, layers and density of latex used in the mattress. Latex is quite “sticky” and has a high coefficient of friction, so even a latex mattress using a componentry style system, but using a more stiff mattress encasement, can still be a quite solid unit. But all other variables being equal, gluing all of the layers together may create a slightly more “solid” comfort.

Phoenix

One week in the Zenhaven Mattress, medium firm side, my husband went to shut off the alarm and rolled completely onto the floor! Absolutely no Edge Support! Notice the online reviews of these mattresses are on or close to the floor? Called Sleep-Ez, gave me Nature Rest, etc. No Luck. Can you recommend a bed with good edge support ?

Hi Rehabgal,

The ZenHaven does not come with a specific edge reinforcement system (this is common for most latex mattresses), and whether or not it is placed on the floor, and platform or a solid foundation would not change the characteristic of the “edge feel” of this product.

Most foam mattresses (including latex) don’t have or even really need side support if they have a support core that is firm enough and the comfort layers aren’t too thick and/or soft for the person sleeping on it (I know you have a specific need, so this isn’t necessarily the case for yourself).

There is more information about edge support with latex mattresses (or other foam mattresses) in post #3 here and in post #33 here but with a latex or latex hybrid mattress that is a suitable firmness level relative to the person sleeping on it then it normally wouldn’t be a significant issue for most people unless you often sleep or sit with most of your weight concentrated on the very outside edge of the mattress although the outside edges of a foam mattress would generally be softer than an innerspring mattress that has a specific edge support system, and I will admit if you are used to a very hard edge reinforcement system you do have to adjust your expectations when getting in and out of an all-latex mattress for the first few weeks.

The only way to know for certain whether the edges of a specific latex or other foam mattresses will be suitable for your specific needs or your preferences will be based on testing the mattress in person (or a mattress that is fairly similar) before a purchase or by actually sleeping on it (if you can’t test it in person before a purchase) and if you are uncertain whether you are one of the few that may “need” firmer edge support then a good return/exchange policy may be a more important part of your personal value equation just in case you are one of the few (generally in higher weight ranges) that needs or prefers a firmer edge.

I don’t know of any latex mattresses off the top of my head that have added edge support although there maybe a few that I’m not aware of or that don’t immediately come to mind.

There are quite a few spring/latex mattresses (hybrid) that feature innerspring units using firmer perimeter springs or foam edge reinforcement that may be of interest to you, and there are some of these listed in post #2 here. Additionally, most “traditional” innerspring mattresses will offer some sort of edge reinforcement, with firmer springs along the sides becoming more popular these days because of their ability to be compressed for shipping as well as their ease to be used on adjustable bed foundations.

Phoenix

My Husband rolled off, not me. Called Saatva they admitted Zenhaven has no edge support given all 100% soft Talalay.
No Dunlop for support. Need to find the right mix of Dunlop and Talalay for edge support.

Are the Hybrid beds made for 2 people with extremely low BMI? If so, do you know of one with the most latex top, since that is what we are used to? Thanks…

Hi Rehabgal,

Yes, I understand, but you’ve also specifically expressed the need for a firm edge system for yourself in the first post of this thread, hence my commentary and concern for the edge reinforcement for your needs as well.

ZenHaven does not have a specific edge reinforcement system in their mattress, but the lack of a firmer edge is not directly an issue of being 100% Talalay, as Dunlop in similar ILDs, thickness and arrangement will have a “similar” edge feel. It may be a little firmer, due to the higher compression modulus of Dunlop as compared to Talalay, but especially in the firmer ILDs there is less difference between the Dunlop and Talalay, and it’s really the point elasticity of latex (Dunlop or Talalay) that will cause the edge to feel softer and also the specific arrangement of the mattress you’re comparing (two sided with a more plush layer on the bottom) combined with the specific ILDs used that create the edge feel you’re experiencing. This all points to the fact that I don’t want to potentially have you think that simply choosing Dunlop will automatically result in an edge feel that is along the line of the old Stearns & Foster system that you’ve previously referenced.

You’d want to consult with any manufacturer you were considering for their specific advice, but there are hybrid systems that allow for fine-tuning of the upper comfort layers for a more plush ILD of latex that you might find more comfortable for a lower BMI. As a sample, the Luma hybrid system in the previous link I provided allows for the choice of your preference of ILD of latex on top of the pocketed spring unit in the base mattress, plus your choice of ILD of the topper for additional plushness, for a total option of 4.5" of Talalay on top of the pocketed spring unit, that is offered with a perimeter edge reinforcement in the spring unit.

Phoenix