Latex mattress from habitat

Hi, I’ve been reading your posts on latex mattresses and wonder why you seem so down on Habitat. I want a simple all natural firm mattress, and after researching ones on-line liked a few that you recommend. The cozy pure, sleepez and habitat come closest, but comparing apples to apples for a 8" mattress, the Habit comes in the least expensive ( they are having a sale right now). I don’t want to have to change layers and don’ need dual layer options. If it come down to price, is Habitat really a bad choice? The y have good reviews in other sites. The matress is going to upstate NY and there are no local options other than Sleepy’s or Sears.

Hi Arielz,

I think the quality of the materials that Habitat uses in their mattresses (natural Dunlop and Talalay latex and wool quilted covers) is good but they don’t have the options for different comfort or support choices (regardless of any layer exchange) that other manufacturers offer. They also make a lot of marketing claims that are somewhat misleading (and designed to minimize their lack of options and present their mattress designs in a better light).

I’m not sure which of the manufacturers you have looked at on the list of the members here that sell similar latex mattresses online but even with their sale prices they are certainly not the lowest price for a 6" Dunlop and 2" Talalay construction.

If you combine their higher prices and fewer options … they are certainly good quality but not the best value.

So it’s not so much that I’m “down” on them in terms of the quality of their mattresses as much as I am helping members to make more meaningful “apples to apples” choices with other mattresses that are the same or similar in terms of their materials and components and that have better value and better options … at least by most people’s criteria (because each person may have a different personal value equation). This “better value” includes SleepEz (which is actually less expensive than Habitat’s sale prices not more and has better options even if they are not important to some) and several others on the list as well. Although their sale prices are certainly an improvement … they are still more costly than the regular prices for very similar mattresses offered by several of the other choices you have.

Phoenix