Latex Mattress Help in Washington DC

Hi Crandolph,

As far as I know … the Elegance is most similar to the Beautiful in the PLB line except it has the Celsion on top (Celsion is talalay latex with phase change materials added to make it cooler than talalay latex already is).

The Beautiful is …

3" 19 ILD
2" 24 ILD
6" 36 ILD
1" latex stabilization layer.

The Celsion would likely “replace” an inch of the 19 ILD and would likely be the “soft” which is 15 ILD. Celsion also comes in 21 and 27 ILD.

“Duplicating” a mattress is not an exact art because there are many variables but in general … if you can match the materials in terms of layer thickness and layer ILD and the ticking is similar then it would be very close. Part of the difficulty with this is that latex mattresses that are much lower cost usually have standardized layer thicknesses and may not have the exact same ILD layers so this would mean that you can make it “similar” but it wouldn’t be exact.

For most people this would be great but there are always exceptions where small changes can make a big difference in how they feel about a mattress.

I should also mention that there are different “pathways” to get to the same overall feel but this would take some testing and knowledge of how different layering interacts with your body weight, profile, and sleeping positions.

What this is telling me is that you prefer softer comfort layers (which is typical for side sleepers) and with layers that were this thick and soft I would definitely make sure that you had tested this for good alignment as well (no hint of back issues when you are fully relaxed on the mattress which usually means at least 15 minutes like you were going to sleep until you feel yourself “letting go”).

Neck issues that are connected to a sleeping system often have to do with pillows and the thickness/softness of the comfort layers of the mattress and a change in mattress will often do best with a change in pillow as well.

When I talked with them … Winn told me that they make an all latex mattress (Dunlop) called the Dynasty and also a latex/innerspring hybrid called the Berkeley II (which has 1.5" of poly in the quilting layer) but not all of their retailers carry them. They will give you the names of any retailers that carry them with a phone call and are very good that way in my experience.

From the DC area list (which you’ve probably seen) …

Some of the http://www.sleephappens.com/ outlets may carry the Spring Air talalay latex mattress but I would call first to make sure because there are many who don’t.

http://www.rhintek.com/ also carries the Savvy Rest are a “choose your own layer” latex mattress which are much closer in construction and layer thickness to most of the online manufacturers so a “duplicate” layering to a preference there would be closer. Most Savvy Rest outlets have have both Dunlop and Talalay layers in their choices.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix