Latex mattress hunt

Hi all, we are on the hunt for a full natural latex mattress. We went to a local store and they tried to sell us a mattress called (not kidding) Posh & Lavish for about $4000 including the mattress topper. After some research I’ve found a company called Sleep on Latex where I can get the same components for about $1500 less. Am I missing something or is this price variance normal?
Also any experiences with this Sleep On Latex company/mattress? Our main issues are transfer of movement and wanting no chemicals. Also concerned about heat with the latex topper etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I’m reeling from all options and don’t know what companies are trustworthy. And $4000 on a mattress will be a hard pill to swallow though it was very cushy and comfortable

Retail markups are huge (especially in the mattress industry) why do you think lots of stores run 40% off specials?

Hi Jennamatty,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

They are a “newer” brand that was introduced about a year ago (see here) offering latex mattresses using Talalay and continuous pour Dunlop latex. They’ve also started offering latex and memory foam mattresses and latex mattresses with springs as well. One of the partners (Kurt Ling) used to be one of the founders of Pure Latex Bliss which makes a range of latex mattresses. Both of the partners also worked with OMI which also makes a wide range of latex mattresses. The Posh + Lavish latex mattresses use high quality materials, but I would be cautious when considering them as part of your personal value equation, as there are other products available using similar materials at more reasonable prices.

There certainly can be large price variations when shopping for a mattress, which is why I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components from mattress to mattress. There are many factors that are unique for each individual that go where you choose to purchase a mattress, and post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Sleep On Latex is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them.

Latex, depending upon the type used (Talalay or Dunlop) and the combination of layers, can be helpful in minimizing motion transfer. Memory foam would be your best choice, followed by latex, and then followed by polyfoam. Also, consider your foundation and bed frame, making sure that they are solid and do not “amplify” your movement when in bed.

All foams, including latex, will contain come amount of chemicals, either in the final product or used up in the production process and rendered inert. The only reliable way to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs (regardless of whether they are organic or natural or synthetic) so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification. If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label. All the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will also have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, Greenguard Gold or C2C and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex (regardless of whether it is synthetic, natural, or blended) to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s (offgassing). You can read more about these safety certifications in post #2 here.

All foams are insulators to some extent, with memory foam being the most insulating, followed by polyfoam and latex. Talalay latex will generally be more breathable than Dunlop latex. Additionally, a softer mattress (one in which you sink in more deeply), will leave less of your surface area exposed for heat exchange, which can also have an effect on your sleeping temperature.

Overall, it’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

If you’re considering online latex options which may be more affordable for your particular application, I wouldn’t hesitate to use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

I’m looking forward to learning about your progress and if there are other questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Hi Awesome,

Retail markups aren’t necessarily as huge as many blogs and articles would have you believe (usually to try and sway you toward a purchase of their own product). While some businesses certainly do run at very high margins on particular products, what is more common is the manipulation of “regular prices”, “discounts” and “sale prices.” This video provides a good explanation of this.

Phoenix

Thanks so much! Do you find the pure Dunlop mattress too hard? Trying to figure out if we want a talalay blended with Dunlop or one or the other :blink:

Hi Jennamatty,

Dunlop latex can be made in different ILD (softness ranges), the same that can be done with Talalay latex. There is a difference in “feel” between the two styles of latex, and this is described in a bit more detail in post #7 here.

I’m thinking that you meant to say that you’re considering a mattress that uses Dunlop and Talalay latex layers combined? When you say “blended” in the same sentence with latex, it usually refers to the amount of natural and synthetic latex used in the production process of a piece of latex foam, so I wanted to be sure!

If you’re considering mixing Dunlop and Talalay latex pieces, this is quite common and more of a matter of personal preference versus a right/wrong choice. Here’s a bit more detail about the difference between these two versions of latex in post #6 here.

It is common that people have a preference for one style of latex versus another. Dunlop is commonly used in the deeper “primary support” layers of a latex mattress, and Talalay is commonly used in the upper “surface support” layers. Dunlop can be a bit more cost-effective than Talalay (depending upon the blend), so this may also enter into your personal PPP.

If you are still considering the latex route, I would use the expertise of the members listed in my previous reply. You can also look at the latex section of this component supplier list for a few more choices, as many of those companies also create finished latex mattresses.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (Dunlop or Talalay latex, resilience, firmness etc.) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked (like the Posh + Lavish) or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. You can also learn about any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase. Many of these manufacturers have been successfully doing this for decades.

Hopefully this will help you bypass most of the misleading information, confusion, and frustration of mattress shopping, connect with people who put your long term interests above their own, and of course … you are always free to post on the forum if you have any questions along the way.

Phoenix

Check out Brooklyn Bedding.com they have latex mattresses, their highly rated on Amazon, if you decide to buy one buy it on BB website instead of Amazon for the full 120 night trial period. Their full size bed in $650.00

Hi majorghn,

While I’m sure you were intending to be helpful, simply posting that someone look at a certain mattress isn’t particularly helpful, nor does it provide meaningful information or specifically address the concerns raised by the original poster. It also uncommon for a member here to make their first post in such a manner, which comes off as promotional and is against the rules of the forum.

The goal of this forum has always been to help educate and inform and to help people identify the criteria that are most important to them and to help with “how” to choose not “what” to choose. I hope that any of your future posts conform to that criteria.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your help…we got weary of the decision and just went for the expensive one. Since we were able to test it out in showroom we felt better about it than online. It arrived today and I can’t seem to tear myself away from it…like laying on a cloud. Maybe it’s foolish to spend so much on a mattress but I realized after laying on it for 15 minutes that the latex supports my low back when my old seally was providing no support. We probably could have gotten similar from another natural latex brand but pulled the trigger on the posh & lavish

Hi Jennamaty,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer:

I’ll be interested to learn about your comments on your mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

I’m glad you’re already sleeping better. Staying local and being able to actually test out a product in person certainly has a value for many people. And I don’t know that you can put a price on good sleep and adequate restoration. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I was able to test out Posh & Lavish beds today, which was really helpful! I really enjoyed the crazy stretchy cover. Honestly, I probably wouldn’t buy a P&L, but I am trying to use the materials to inform my decision making.

However, I can’t find ilds or spec’s anywhere. The sales guy says the spring model I tried uses Quantum Elite zoned coils with the less-firm coils in the middle. (For me this felt backwards from what I’m used to—reverse zoning in the Zenhaven—and I only liked it when I lay directly on the spring model with no topper. With the topper I felt too unsupported even though I asked him to take a picture and looked pretty aligned.)

I was able to try The Premier Latex Hybrid and the Relax, both with and without 2" and 3" toppers. I am curious if there is more to the toppers (I think they are just a chunk of 19 ild talalay) and if the Relax is just a single 6" dunlop core or two layers of 3". I used to think it was crazy anyone could sleep on just one core while DIYing and now I totally get it—it’s actually kinda nice!

Overall the beds reminded me of what I think Luma would be like…seemed like similar arrangements (innersprings with just a touch of latex and then a topper, or all latex beds with a topper configuration).

Wondering if anyone has specs/ILDs for this or if it’s kept very tightly wrapped up? It would really help me bring my research to real life.

Hi sweetandsourkiwi,

Oh yes, Posh and Lavish, that’s great you were able to find some to see in the retail showroom. Here is a post about Posh+…but does not have the exact specifications - Phoenix post#2

P+L has definitely made a concerted effort to “Not” publish specifications, as I am sure they believe it is best for the P&L retail partners. In 2016, most information I saw showed the toppers and top layers were Talalay latex and the cores in the “all-latex” mattresses had a 6" Dunlop process core. When Kurt Ling and Talalay Global created the Pure LatexBliss it was all Talalay (cores and toppers), then Kurt started his own brand …P+L. The line was always 6" core, not two 3" pieces, Luma believes in this base construction for all latex also.

Talalay 19ILD is probably a good guess on the toppers, the original toppers for PLB were 14 and 19 ILD. Regarding your comment about Luma Sleep hybrid mattress, one of our trusted members, seems to be very similar…of course please discuss with Luma as every mattress is different…but you have enough knowledge in latex to be able to to make educated choices. If I see the specs somewhere else, I will update the forum.

Thanks
Sensei