Latex Mattress in Austin

Hey Phoenix,

Thank you for the great site.

I have decided to go with a Latex mattress based on feel, durability and temperature. However, full latex is out of my price range. around $1000- $1200.

I am debating a Polyfoam core with latex on top, Instead of innerspring with latex comfort layer. I am 6’3 250lb mostly side sleeper. I tend to like a softer top with a supportive layer underneath.

I visited Austin Mattress Beds n Brass, based on this site’s recommendation. They said they use Latex International for latex, but not sure about the Core Mfg. Link to their site: austinmattress.net/#!latex-mattresses/c6a8 (ADMIN NOTE: Removed link from non-existing page / kept intital footprint)

They have these two options, I have some concern about the Polyfoam core, wanted to get your opinion.

1 - Dupre Natural Latex

4" 100% All Natural 26lb latex (Talalay)
6" Soy based HD 35lb Core
1" Quilt
Bamboo/Organic Cotton Cover

2 - Cyprus Natural Latex

5" 100% All Natural 26lb latex (Talalay)
6" Soy based HD 32lb Core
1" Quilt
Bamboo/Organic Cotton Cover

Also, they mentioned they have this:

Royal Touch Natural latex
100% All Natural latex (Talalay)
3" x 2" =(6") of 26lb Comfort + 6" of 36lb Core
Bamboo Organic Cotton Cover

In their warehouse, which was a return or something. Is it worth looking at? is it a complete ‘No’ on any returned items to a store, or are there things you can look for when inspecting?

Lastly, I was debating getting a low ILD latex topper (19 ) but wasn’t sure how long it would last, any ideas?

Thank you for your help.

Hi Sidesleeper7,

There are more details about the information you need to evaluate a mattress in post #4 here.

The specs they provided are the ILD/IFD of the foam layers which are “comfort specs” and not the quality specs you need.

The information you need to assess the quality of the materials and to identify any potential weak links are the thickness of each layer, the density of any polyfoam in the mattress, and the type and blend of any latex. The only exception I would make is “around an inch or so” or less of any foam used in the quilting layers which won’t have a significant effect on the durability of the mattress.

When you are in a higher weight range it’s especially important to make sure that the top 5" or 6" or so of the mattress are high-quality durable materials because you will compress the upper layers more with your higher weight and there will be more wear and tear on the mattress. There is more about a latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here but as long as the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP and the upper layers are good quality/density and durable materials then a latex hybrid can make a good lower budget choice that has many of the benefits of sleeping on latex.

[quote]Also, they mentioned they have this:

Royal Touch Natural latex
100% All Natural latex (Talalay)
3" x 2" =(6") of 26lb Comfort + 6" of 36lb Core
Bamboo Organic Cotton Cover

In their warehouse, which was a return or something. Is it worth looking at? is it a complete ‘No’ on any returned items to a store, or are there things you can look for when inspecting?[/quote]

This would depend on why it was returned, the price, its condition, the age of the mattress, whether they provided a warranty, and perhaps most importantly how you feel about sleeping on a used mattress. There is more about buying a “used mattress” in post #2 here but if there are no warning signs, it’s in good condition, and it’s a good match in terms of PPP, and the price is right, then it could be worth considering and I would use your “best judgment” along with how it compares with other new mattresses you have available to you and how you feel about sleeping on a used mattress as the basis of your choice.

Phoenix