Latex Mattress in Miami

Hi Vic,

Many of them offer their customers a choice of the type of latex they would prefer in their mattress so you aren’t restricted to only a single choice (Habitat for example uses 100% natural Dunlop in their base layers and blended Talalay in their top layers). You can read a little more about the different types of latex in this article along with post #6 here and post #6 here and some of the differences between natural and synthetic rubber in post #2 here. In general the types of latex you would normally choose between are organic Dunlop, 100% natural Dunlop, blended Dunlop, 100% natural Talalay and blended Talalay. Each of these has their own pros and cons.

Most of them also offer a choice of firmness for the base support layer as well as the comfort layers.

Many of them are also component mattresses where the mattress is made up of layers that can be rearranged or even exchanged for a softer or firmer choice without having to exchange the whole mattress so you can fine tune your choice after a purchase. Different manufacturers on the list have different degrees of ability to customize their mattress.

Two of them (FloBeds and Custom Sleep Design) also offer customized zoning options.

There is also a wide range of prices and designs.

What they all have in common is that each of them in their own way is among the best value in the country and beyond that I don’t differentiate between them in terms of “value”. They are all very experienced and knowledgeable and have good service.

All of them are also very open and transparent about their materials and mattresses and are happy to spend time on the phone with you explaining their options and how they may benefit you. I would encourage you to talk directly with the ones that interest you the most because they know more about their mattresses and the options they offer than anyone else (and in some cases all of their options aren’t on their websites because some of them offer customized choices as well).

A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click this) will bring up many comments about them and some comparisons with some of the other manufacturers on the list.

A forum search on Habitat (you can just click this as well) will also bring up many posts and some comparisons with them as well.

I’m happy to help the members here with “how” to choose but the specifics of what to choose and your own final choices will always depend on your personal value equation and which of the objective, subjective, and even intangible differences between them are most important to you.

Any of them would make a great choice but as you narrow them down based on your own criteria and conversations one of them will end up being the best choice for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Homework done. :slight_smile:
Now I have questions.

1. Natural Talalay is less durable in softer ILDs in a comfort layer than the blend. At which point there is diminishing durability becomes obvious? 19ILD? 21ILD? And do you work the blend % into this formula? I am asking because we like a bit firmer surface, so I want to see if we should go with a blend or NR (see, I am using abbreviations now :wink: )
  2. Is SBR chemical safe? Any smell? Toxic? What is it made from?
  3. ILD can be confusing from one web site to another. Some refer to individual layer ILDs, while others indicate the ILD for the “total feel”. Is there a way to compare? For example 6’ Dunlap 26ILD + 2’ Talalay 19ILD = ? “total feel” 28? 32?
  4. I am surprised you mentioned Habitat uses blend Talalay… their website says “2” layer of softer Talalay Natural Latex"… or they differentiate between Bontanically derived and Natural? How misleading if that’s the case. :unsure:
  5. Is there an updated list for smaller independent manufacturers of latex mattresses in Miami? Your post #2 here is over 1.5 years old, so I was not sure if you have any updates. After reading my homework I decided to make more effort to try and get my mattress locally.

I really appreciate your dedication to this website. Your attention to my question makes me feel special. I feel I have come a long way from the moment I first came across this site. And while my lower back is still killing me every morning, learning so much is making me more confident that I will make the right choice and enjoy restful sleep for many years to come. :cheer:

Hi Vic,

No … all the blended Talalay you will find is made by either Radium or Latex International and both of them use a 30% natural / 70% synthetic blend. I don’t think anyone knows the actual cut off point or at least I haven’t seen any comparative research but I would guess they would equal out somewhere in the mid 20’s. If you are in the range of mid to high 20’s as your preference for a comfort layer then the natural would be fine IMO.

Synthetic latex is made primarily from a combination of Styrene and Butadiene which have a very similar chemical structure to natural rubber (which is mainly Isoprene rubber) and become very stable when they are polymerized together. There are many sources for both Styrene and Butadiene but the most common source is from petrochemicals.

All Talalay latex in North America (natural and blended) is tested and certified by Oeko-Tex standard 100 class 1 (safe for babies) as being free from harmful compounds and VOCs. The smell of Talalay has often been described as being “sweet” or similar to sugar cookies or vanilla with perhaps a hint of cinnamon or butter (depending on the sample or the blend). The smell of dunlop is much more “rubbery” and in most cases stronger although most of the Dunlop latex has also been certified either by Oeko-Tex or other similar certifying agencies.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: oeko-tex.com/media/downloads/Factsheet_OETS_100_EN.pdf

ILD can be very misleading because there are many factors that combine together that determine how soft or firm a layer (or a mattress) feels such as compression modulus, layer thickness, and “point elasticity” and ILD is only one of them. There are also different ways that ILD is tested (see post #6 here) so the same ILD may not be comparable if you are comparing different materials or using different layer thicknesses. In all cases though … ILD applies only to a single layer that comes from a core that has been tested and there is no measurement that would apply to the ILD of a mattress as a unit … only the foam layers that are in it. It can be somewhat misleading to compare ILD between different materials because of differences in the response curve of different types of foam and differences in how ILD is tested with different materials or in different areas of the world. ILD is only a measurement of how much weight it takes to compress a layer by 25% of its thickness and in real life layers are compressed more or less than 25% and have other layers either above or below them that affect their compression.

The only time that ILD may be useful is if you test a local mattress that seems to be suitable for your needs and preferences and you are looking to match all the layers (in terms of type of material, the thickness of each layer, and the ILD of each layer) with an online purchase. it can sometimes be very difficult to get accurate ILD information about local mattresses and it’s much more common that you would be given more subjective firmness ratings like soft, medium, or firm.

Latex International calls their blended latex “natural” and their 100% natural talalay “all natural”. You can see an example of this with Pure Latex Bliss mattresses here (which they own) where their “all natural” line uses 100% natural Talalay and their “natural” line uses blended Talalay. The “all natural” doesn’t have specific ILD’s (it only comes in a range of ILD’s which are rated from N1 to N5) and 19 ILD is a firmness rating for their Talatech blended Talalay. You can see the different types of latex they make and their firmness ratings here.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: latexbliss.com/shop/mattresses/natural | Archived Footprint 2: latexfoam.com/latex-material/components

I agree that latex terminology can be very misleading which is why it’s a good idea to deal with retailers or manufacturers that are completely transparent about what is in their mattresses and will readily give you accurate information.

The Miami list is up to date (as far as manufacturers or retailers I’m aware of) and was last edited on May 13 of this year.

I’m glad the site could help and I’m looking forward to your feedback and any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the info! Here is my update in pursuit of a local mattress. :slight_smile:

I spoke to most of the providers on the list you provided on the phone.

I started with De Mattress Inc.
www.demattressinc.com/307169.html Miami
I spoke to a very nice lady Iliana and she informed me that they only carry 100% all natural Talalay in 6-inch layers. If a higher mattress is desired, they can cut the 6-inch layer into 1-inch increments. They get a shipment once every 3 months, but happen to have 30 ILD in stock right now. 6-inch layer for queen would sell for $900 with each additional inch at $150 per inch. They only have one type of natural fiber cotton cover with bamboo quilting. She invited us to test the mattresses with an option to deliver the same day.

Then I called Comfort Custom Bedding
www.comfortcustombedding.com/ Ft Lauderdale
I spoke to a very knowledgeable Don. They also only carry Talalay but in various ILDs (28,32,36,40). Their Talalay is a blend (70%/30%). He said that 98% of Latex customers use that blend. When I mentioned that De Mattress carries 100% natural Talalay, he was surprised and said that he knew that they purchase latex from the same source and it is all a blend. This statement made me feel a bit wary of De Mattresses’ claims… Don gave me a price of $1,495 for Queen size mattress consisting of 6-inch 36ILD + 2-inch 28-inch Talalay. The lead time is excellent as well: 1-2 days. They offer various options for the cover from 100% natural bamboo to stretch, thin velour that would make latex come out in its all beauty :slight_smile:

Next up was Zeno Mattresses
www.zenomattress.com/ Ft Lauderdale
Jim was very curt. He was polite, but did not seem too eager to answer all my questions. The company only offers Talalay blend in 40ILD. They quoted me a price of $1,494 for 6-inch Queen Talalay blend mattress with cotton polyester cover (the only cover they have). Lead time 1-3 weeks.

My final call was Biscayne Bedding
www.biscaynebedding.com/ Miami
They offer Dunlop and Talalay in various ILDs (19,24,32,40). Jan was a bit unsure about whether the materials were blend or 100% natural. He said he would have to check with their supplier in Europe (any idea?). He offered queen bed with 6-inch Dunlop and 2-inch Talalay for $1,342. The company uses knitted fabric that complements latex materials. The lead time is 4-5 days. They do not offer delivery, so we would have to make our own arrangements. (ADDED by Admin: They no longer sell factory direct to consumers).

So here is my thought process… I would love any input.
I am eliminating Zeno mattresses and De Mattresses for the lack of options and not favorable cover materials. I am left with Biscayne Bedding and Comfort Custom Bedding. I am going to visit both, but here are my concerns.

Biscayne Bedding
-concern about not knowing the materials (hopefully we will find out soon)
- no delivery service - more headache to find someone to deliver
- difficulties to test desirable configuration. They only have a few latex models on the floor for testing.

Comfort Custom Bedding
-Talalay blend not as durable as Dunlop core would be
-I was set on 100% pure material (at least for the core)… and they offer blend with synthetic only. I am still not sold on synthetic - I don’t like the idea of sleeping on petrochemicals. I am green like that. :sick: :slight_smile:

As a side note, after talking to several providers I totally see your comment about ILD being very misleading. They all measure them so differently and the same ILD can mean soft for one provider and firm for another. Overwhelming.

Thank you!!!

hi Vic,

Thanks for the great "South Florida "feedback :slight_smile:

Just to clarify a few things …

Latex international makes both blended Talalay (70% synthetic/30% natural) and 100% natural Talalay latex. The blend is more commonly seen and is less costly but all Talalay is certainly not blended. You can read more about the difference between blended and natural Talalay in post #2 here.

If their supplier is in Europe then it would be Radium (which along with Latex international is one of the two main worldwide manufacturers of Talalay latex) which also makes Talalay in a 70% / 30% blend and in 100% natural versions. I don’t know which of the two they are using but they should certainly be able to find out.

I understand about the cotton polyester cover if you are more interested in natural fibers but is there a reason you are eliminating the cotton/bamboo cover (which is a good quality material that is very comfortable and can perform very well)? If DeMattress is using 100% natural Talalay then this is also a more costly material than blended Talalay. I would go by how you feel on a mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) before eliminating it because the comfort specs of the material is not as important as how it feels and performs for you and even with less options they may make a mattress that works very well for you. Of course if their mattresses or the options they have available don’t provide you with good PPP then I would pass them by as well but only after testing them.

I’m not sure where you received this information but I certainly wouldn’t agree with it. You can read more about the different types of latex and their relative durability in post #2 here.

This is certainly a matter of preference and some people just prefer more natural materials based on principle alone but natural is not necessarily better than a blend in terms of feel, performance, or durability (depending again on the type of latex) and they are both tested for “safety” to the same standards.

The ILD of Talalay latex is fairly consistent between manufacturers so this would probably be an accurate comparison as far as it goes but ILD itself is only one of several factors (including the thickness of the layers) that determine how soft or firm a mattress feels. When you are comparing ILD between Talalay and Dunlop however then ILD comparisons can be more misleading because ILD is only measured at a specific compression (25%) and if you sink into a material more or less than this then any ILD comparison between them wouldn’t be accurate because Dunlop gets firmer faster than Talalay with deeper compression.

The key is to let your body tell you whether a mattress is suitable for you rather than going by the ILD numbers.

Of course the quality specs of each mattress (the type and blend of the latex) as well as the amount of latex in each mattress are also important for making meaningful quality and value comparisons between mattresses but ILD is not part of the information you really need.

Phoenix

We visited De Mattress and Biscayne Bedding this morning.

De Mattress had only one type of Latex on display (Talalay in 30ILD) and did not have the cover on it, only plastic. So it was a bit difficult to tell how it would really feel in the finished form. Iliana told me they will be getting a shipment next week and we may come back and test various ILDs then. In the meantime, she said she will confirm that their Talalay is 100% natural.

Biscayne Bedding had an actual showroom that looked like a mattress store. We tested two latex models they had. One was too soft (Dunlop 40ILD core + 2-inch Talalay 19ILD), the other was too firm. Jan offered to modify the soft configuration by removing 1-inch of 19ILD and inserting 1-inch 24ILD to make it a bit firmer. Since it is not a store and returns would not be possible, to eliminate the risk of us not liking it, he offered to wait until they actually produce that exact mattress for another order and test it before they ship it out. That was very nice of him!
He also mentioned that even all natural Talalay are not always 100%, “just like in a cake you add some additional ingredients, you have to do so here”. So it could be 95-99% natural. In any case, he said he will find out and get back to us on this.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Vic,

[quote]
He also mentioned that even all natural Talalay are not always 100%, “just like in a cake you add some additional ingredients, you have to do so here”. So it could be 95-99% natural. In any case, he said he will find out and get back to us on this.
[/quote].

All latex foam manufacturers use a compounding formula which is usually about 90% to 95% rubber or in some cases slightly higher (but not 99%) and the other ingredients include foaming agents, gelling agents, curing agents, mold release agents, antioxidants, and possibly fillers in some cases. Without these it wouldn’t be possible to turn the rubber into a foam that was suitable for a mattress. 100% natural generally refers to latex cores where the rubber used in the foamed core is 100% natural rubber … not that the only ingredient in the foam is rubber. Blended Talalay also has the same compounding ingredients but the difference is that the rubber that is used is about 70% synthetic (Styrene Butadiene or SBR for short) and 30% natural rubber (NR).

I would make sure that you test the mattresses you are considering very carefully for PPP (for at least 15 minutes after you are completely relaxed) because a latex mattress with a 40 ILD support layer and that only has 2" of softer latex on top would feel quite firm for many people (depending on your body type, sleeping positions, and personal preferences) because 2" of softer latex may not be enough to isolate you from the firmness of the 40 ILD support layer below it.

Phoenix

Aha, now it all makes sense. Thanks for explaining the other 5-10%.

Phoenix, we actually tested 36 ILD Dunlop, not 40. There are so many ILD’s to remember, I made a mistake! Sorry. Would 36 make more sense? And be more suitable with 2-inch softer Talalay as a comfort layer?

Jon confirmed his Talalay latex has all natural rubber, he now needs to double check about Dunlop. What kinds of Dunlop does Radium produce?

Since the Talalay is all natural, would 19ILD comfort layer be ok? Should I be concerned about the durability of such soft natural Talalay?

It is so difficult to figure out PPP during the test time. There are so many factors that may influence the perception when you are not at home… It’s almost like meditation - you have to isolate everything around you and pretend you are at home falling asleep… Not an easy task.

Hi Vic,

36 is still a firm layer and not much softer than 40 and many people (particularly side sleepers) may still find a mattress to be quite firm with only a 2" comfort layer of softer latex on top of it. Having said that though … there are also people who find that even sleeping directly on 40 ILD latex is too soft for them (as rare as this may be) so only your own experience or testing can know whether a mattress is suitable for you. It would also depend on the type of cover and quilting in the mattress which is also an important part of how a mattress feels and performs. The bottom line is always your own experience and what your body tells you … the ILD numbers are not important when you are testing a mattress in person.

Radium only produces Talalay not Dunlop. If they get their Dunlop from Latexco (which is also a supplier of Radium Talalay in the US) then their Dunlop is probably either from Latex Green which is 100% natural or their own Puralux Dunlop which is a blend.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: latexco.com/usa/our-products/

This would be up to you to decide. All latex is a high quality material relative to other types of foam but as you read in the previous posts that compared 100% natural Talalay to blended Talalay the 100% natural is likely to be a little less durable in the lower ILD’s than the blend but it is also more elastic and responsive and more “supportive” than the blended talalay. This is just part of the tradeoffs involved when you are choosing the materials in a mattress.

Accurate and specific testing is certainly more difficult than just “checking for comfort” and lying on a mattress for a few minutes to see how it feels (which is the reason that so many people make unsuitable mattress choices) but it’s also one of the most important parts of choosing a mattress.

I agree it’s not easy … but it’s well worth the time and effort involved since you will be sleeping on your mattress for many years and it will have a bigger effect on how you feel and your overall well being than almost anything else you buy in that time.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I just wanted to leave the final result of my mattress journey. :slight_smile:
Biscayne Bedding did not work out for us because of the lack of any guarantee after the purchase. Even though they offer excellent products for a great value, we did not want to take the risk of not being able to do anything in case we did not like our mattress after it is delivered.
We went to see Don at Comfort Custom Bedding today. We tested all Talalay blended Latex (6 inch+3 inch comfort layer at 32ILD, which they consider medium). Don also offered to test a model with high density foam base + 3 inch 32ILD comfort layer on top. We were sold on the combo because the motion transfer is almost nonexistent compared to the all latex bed, a big deal for my husband, who is a light sleeper. In addition, the price difference was a welcome benefit. The company offers free shipping and hassle free exchange policy, so we have a peace of mind and options in case something does not work out. The mattress should be delivered next week and I am happily anticipating giving my body the beautiful sleep experience it’s been craving.
Thank you for all your help!

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the update!

It sounds to me like you did some meaningful research and testing and in the end made a great choice that “fit” your own criteria in terms of both suitability, quality, budget, and options after the purchase.

In other words you did everything you needed to do to make the best choice for you which is the whole goal of the site.

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello everyone!
We’re very thankful for having found this site as we’re also looking for a latex mattress and did not want to buy one online before having a chance to test first.

So far we visited DeMatress, and I’m a little dumbfounded because the information we got from them is very different from what I see posted here.

What we are looking for:
-100% natural latex
-king size
-6" minimun height
-free of chemicals and adhesives
-organic cover a plus but not necessary

What they offered:
-100% natural dunlop
-king size (cal king and euro king same price)
-8" (6" 40 ILD and 2" 36 ILD)
-cotton cover (organic an option at no extra cost)
-$1500 for the mattress (plus taxes)
-$150 for a 2-men delivery with install and old mattress removal ($200 for 3 men)

They said they used to get their latex supply from Latex Int’l, but now buy direct from a plantation in India. They also said they glue their layers using heat not adhesives. They used to offer wool as a FR layer nut their customers in Florida started complaining that it made the mattress too hot.

Questions:
-pricing: we’ve been looking for some time now (online only, until I came across your site thank God!) and $1500 for a king sized 100% natural dunlop mattress seems pretty reasonable to me. What do you think?Cozypure was offering a 9" king sized for about $1700 (if memory serves, but I do know you could not choose the firmness and no returns either.
-wool barrier: I thought it was supposed to regulate temperature and whisk away moisture. Can wool be too hot for Florida weather? What will whisk our moisture away now? :slight_smile:
I believe fire retardants are not mandatory as of 1/1/2015, right?
-ILD: the mattress was pretty soft, so when she said it was 40/36 I was taken aback because by most store’s standards, that’ll make the mattress firm! We also tested a 32 ILD but I felt like I was sinking in. Input?

I can’t thank you enough for the site!!!, and any feedback on our questions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I did call Brikell but they offer only Savvy Rest which is very very expensive.
Star offers 100% natural talalay (as per Richard), but we haven’t had a chance to stop by.
The fabric in Medley offers no latex.
I’m working on contacting the others.

Hi Adianez,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

When they were purchasing their latex from LI (now called Talalay Global) it would have been some version of Talalay latex (blended or natural) but if they are now purchasing from India it’s probably from CoCo latex which makes 100% natural and organic certified Dunlop and is fairly common in North America.

If this is correct then latex doesn’t “melt” with heat so there would need to be something in between the layers that can melt and bond them together. It’s possible that they are using latex glue but of course I don’t know the specifics of what they are using to bond their latex layers together.

There is more about the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses. The “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to other mattresses you are comparing it to or that are available to you in your area or online (for those that are comfortable with an online purchase) but on the face of it and assuming that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it certainly seems to be in a very reasonable price range.

If they no longer use wool quilting then the only fabric in between you and the latex would be the cover and the fire barrier they are using and any quilting they may be using in place of the latex.

Wool is a great temperature and moisture/humidity regulator and most people do well with it even (and sometimes especially) in hot and humid climates because of its ability to regulate temperature in both directions to maintain a temperature and humidity range that for most people would be “neutral” Having said that … there are also other factors that can affect sleeping temperature as well and some people can be uncomfortable in temperature ranges that would be “temperature neutral” for others. It would also depend on the specifics of the wool quilting and it’s thickness or density.

Wool can be used to regulate temperature in the arctic and in the desert but it would be used in thinner layers in colder climates because it can insulate as well as remove heat and moisture/humidity away from the body. There are also many other variables that can affect temperature regulation as well including the type of fabric or tick that is used in the mattress and your mattress protector, sheets, bedding, and your bedclothes as well. It may be that they are using a lower cost quilting layer (or no quilting at all) to save on the cost of materials and then are using feedback from the “exceptions” to justify removing the wool. For most people a thinner cotton cover that doesn’t have any quilting and that allows you to sink directly into softer latex comfort layers would generally sleep a little warmer than a cover that was quilted with wool because even though latex is one of the most breathable foam material … wool has better airflow and wicks and stores moisture away from the body more effectively than latex or any foam material. Again though I don’t know the specific reasons or experiences that are behind what they told you. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress relative to different people in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the very quick feedback!!

One other query. Do you know if in fact fire retardants are no longer mandatory?

I’m rather disappointed that they might have lied about not using adhesives.

Latex does seem to be not an option for us at this point. Do you know of any fabrics or retailers that make coil mattresses with latex instead of foam? We co-sleep so we are looking for a mattress free of chemicals that won’t break the bank. To make matters worse, our current mattress is 14 years old and smells “earthy” so I have the distinct feeling we may have a mould issue :frowning:

Thanks again Phoenix!!!

Hi Adianez,

Fire retardant chemicals have never been mandatory. What is required is that a mattress pass the 16 CFR 1632 and 1633 fire regulations with or without the use of fire retardant chemicals (the method of passing the regulations isn’t specified in the regulations). The most common method used to pass the regulations is the use of inherent fire barrier fabrics that are either quilted into the cover or are wrapped around the inner materials of the mattress like a sock (see post #2 here)

With a prescription from a licensed health professional then a manufacturer can also sell a mattress that doesn’t pass the fire regulations.

I certainly wouldn’t assume that anyone is lying to you because they could be providing you with information that they believe is accurate. I would just ask them for specifics that you can verify. It’s also possible that they are using some method to bond the layers together that I don’t know about. For example you can use flame bonding with polyurethane foam although it’s mostly used to bond a fabric to the polyurethane and there is also a new process called Pulse Fusion being used by Latexco to bond latex to other types of foam but it’s very new and apparently won’t be available in North America until the end of the year (and it doesn’t use heat).

I’m not clear why you are ruling out latex as an option but of course the choice of materials is always a personal preference.

There are some sources of innerspring/late hybrids in post #2 here.

There are many options available when it comes to either natural, chemical free, or “safe” materials that can avoid the use of harmful chemicals in a mattress.

There is more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how natural is natural enough for me” or “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can make more “fact based” choices on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues can be complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I’m sure you’ve heard this thousands of times throughout the years, but I’ll say it too: I am so thankful for this site! Even after reading online here and there for hours, I now realize that a week ago I still knew absolutely nothing about mattresses and was cluelessly trying them out at a big national store. It wasn’t until I found your site (and again spent a significant amount of time reading up) that I felt I was properly educated and ready to go try out some mattresses with my new mini degree in hand =). I will stop this grateful prologue now, just know that what you do here is wonderful and valuable.

I just returned from visiting 3 of the local providers in the Miami-Broward area that Vic mentioned a few years ago. I tried out all-latex mattresses and wanted to share my experience and hear your thoughts before I make a decision.

• First stop: De Mattress Inc. I spoke to Ileana on the phone and she invited me to come in to try out what they have in store. This is a no-frills place, with a small staging room next to the factory, where I tried out two configurations of latex layers (without any quilting, so not quite a mattress yet). Both Ileana and the owner were extremely open and attentive, sharing with me their 40 years of experience in the trade, agreeing that I would probably not need another mattress in 30 years if I purchased all-latex, and ensuring they would work with me until I was satisfied with what I had (layer modification, quilting stretch, etc.) These are the specs and quotes I got from them:

• 100% natural talalay latex (with mention to the east India source)

• 6-inch higher ILD layer + 2-inch lower ILD layer

• 3/4" quilting, natural cotton with a simple design

• 2-sided mattress

• Queen size

• $100 delivery

• Warranty: will adjust mattress until satisfied, can go back to them any time.

• $1,300

• $166/extra inch

They have at least 3 ILD ratings available, and I tried both a configuration with 3 layers of varying ILDs, and a configuration as I describe above, but I don’t recall the exact numbers. They emphasized that I can place an order with them and go over to try it out for an extended period of time, no strings attached.

• Second stop: Zeno. Jim was welcoming and knowledgeable, and let me take my time to test out the two latex mattresses they had in the showroom adjacent to their factory. As you mentioned, this is a third generation family business, and it’s clear they know what they’re doing and take care of their reputation, but I felt like they’re probably more focused on big marine orders, and in innerspring comfort beds. I got less details about the latex from Jim than from the other 2 places, but here’s the summary

• 100% natural talalay latex? (he seemed a little unsure, mentioned Latex International)

• 8-inch medium-high ILD (32 I believe)

• 1/4" quilting, synthetic/cotton blend

• Queen size

• $85 delivery

• Pro-rated 10 yr warranty

• $1,494

Jim mentioned they could order latex in a softer ILD, but they normally just carry one type in the 30’s, which was a bit too firm for me. They also have an “Ultra Latex” mattress with a 2-inch comfort layer of convoluted high-density foam and cotton, which makes for a 12-inch mattress for $1,802. This might have been the best fit for me in terms of comfort, but I feel very strongly about durability, so I’m not sure about paying an extra for something that might shorten the lifespan of the mattress.

-Third stop: Comfort Custom Mattresses. Don and his daughter Donna were very professional and attentive. Their showroom, even though also adjacent to the factory, was pretty slick and spotless, and the detail in the quilting of the mattresses displayed was visibly more luxurious than the previous two places. Don didn’t have an all-latex mattress in the showroom, but asked what I was looking for and improvised a mattress on the factory floor, including what looked like new fresh sheets. It was great, and here’s what they quoted me for:

• 70/30 natural talalay latex (Latex International)
  • 6-inch 40 ILD + 2-inch 28 ILD
  • minimal quilting, cotton
  • Queen size
  • Free delivery
  • Warranty: will cover any imperfections, mentioned that in rare cases the latex may come with defects from manufacturer.
  • $2,395

In summary, each place offers a latex mattress that I like, even though I would have to special-order a lower ILD from Zeno if I don’t go for their “Ultra Latex” model. I’m leaning towards De Mattress and Comfort Custom Mattress because they seemed more thorough about their mattresses and explanations, offer better warranty, and it would be simpler to order from them. However, the clear question is, why the significant price tag difference between the two of them?

Like Vic, I’m left wondering whether De Mattress is truly offering 100% all-natural talalay. I asked them pointedly, and they assured me that it was, and mentioned who they got their last latex batch from, the size of it, how much it cost, and that it came from east India. They seemed very transparent about it, and also mentioned they make about 10% profit on it, which would make sense if they really are delivering that quality of product for such a great price. I wouldn’t be surprised if Comfort Custom Mattress, where they seem just as transparent, is simply making a bigger profit in what should be a cheaper mattress. What do you think?

I will ask De Mattress again about the origin of their latex. In case it ends up being dunlop or a blend, I’d be curious to know if you still consider it a good value for the price.

Again, thanks a ton for any feedback.

Hi Jess,
It takes special kind of people to put so much thought and thorough research into things. A special kind of brain wiring. We should become friends! lol.
Anyhow, I haven’t been on this site since the time we bought our mattress from Don. We have been happily sleeping on it through my second pregnancy and now our kids sometimes sleep with us. We also ordered more custom made mattresses from Don for our kids’ bunk bed just a few months ago, and they seem very satisfied. I have recommended Don to all of my friends ever since and they too are very happy about his professionalism and honesty… and their improved night sleep of course. The guy is great, I think I have developed a strong customer relationship with him and will be buying all my future mattresses from them. Very transparent, no pushy sales, and the factory is right there, so you see everything. I highly recommend Comfort Custom Mattresses. And thanks again to Phoenix for leading me on this journey to the best sleep. I haven’t looked back since, I never complain about my mattress anymore, I even forgot how uncomfortable it used to be. Good luck!

[quote=“Vic” post=69240]
It takes special kind of people to put so much thought and thorough research into things. A special kind of brain wiring. We should become friends! lol. [/quote]

Haha! I agree Vic, we are…“special”, let’s call it healthily obsessed =). I didn’t think you would still be following this thread, but I can now thank you as well, your exhaustive feedback was especially helpful.

Thanks for recommending Don again, he definitely seems to have a successful and honest business. I will try to settle where that price difference between CC Mattress and De Mattress is coming from, but it’s comforting to hear from you directly that Don consistently delivers.

I’m glad the mattresses have worked out so well for you and your growing family! Wish you the best.

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad you found the information here useful in your search.

Thank you for such a thorough review of your mattress shopping experience.

While I’m not completely familiar with the two mattress manufacturers you mentioned, if any latex was coming from India, it would generally be from CoCo-Latex and it would be Dunlop (they make 100% natural and organic certified Dunlop and is fairly common in North America). Talalay is produced in the western world by Talalay Global (formerly Latex International) in Connecticut, and Radium in the Netherlands. This could account for the difference in price. Using Dunlop aligns with information that forum member Adianez received in 2015 from De Mattress as well.

While price is certainly important of course, the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for). Part of this value is also the service you receive during and after your sale, and the amount of trust you have in any manufacturer you visit.

I wouldn’t have access to the information about the “profit” of any manufacturer, and I’d instead tell you to look at the final price you’ll pay, and the actual componentry within any mattress. I think that in this situation you’re not comparing the same products and getting completely accurate information about the type of latex being used. And in the case of the Talalay from Talalay Global, their blended Talalay as they test it is more durable than their natural Talalay.

I hope that information helps.

Phoenix

Hi Vic,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to Jess and monitor this thread - I appreciate it!

Phoenix