Latex mattress in utah

hi love the site. So helpful and lots of great education.

I live in Salt Lake City utah. Been looking at the mattress in at this store. What is your thought on the construction and materials from what you can see? Serta Pure Response Latex Euro Top Mattresses In Salt Lake City

Any other Latex beds you might suggest close to SLC? Thanks in advance.

One other question. Would a hybrid with coil support be close to as durable for a lesser cost than 100% latex?

Hi Jtaoj0,

The description doesn’t include all the information listed here that I would need to make any meaningful comments about the materials in the mattress or help you identify any weak links in the design. It is missing the specifics of the quilting layer (type and thickness) and the density of the base foam. The latex is blended Talalay which is a high quality and durable material but 14 ILD is the softest version of Talalay latex and would be less durable than firmer layers if you are in a higher weight range. 3" of very soft latex in addition to the quilting materials may also be a little risky in terms of alignment as well so I would make sure that you have done some careful testing on the mattress (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to confirm that it’s a suitable match for you in terms of PPP.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and depending on the criteria that are most important to you. If there are no weak links in the mattress then it’s certainly one of the better quality/.value mattresses made by a major manufacturer although I would make some careful value comparisons because there may be better quality/value options available in the area (see this recent topic for example).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Salt Lake City, UT area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here. There are certainly other latex and latex hybrid options available in the area.

There is more about latex/innerspring hybrids compared to latex support cores in post #13 here and the posts it links to. While “in theory” a firmer latex support core would tend to be more durable than an innerspring support core (depending so some degree on the specifics of each of them) … the weakest link in a mattress is generally in the comfort layers not the support core so in “real life” they would be closely comparable in terms of durability. The choice between an innerspring support core and an latex support core would be a preference choice much more than a “better worse” choice. Whether they would be a lower cost would also depend on the specifics of the innerspring and the type and blend of the latex. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=47445]Hi Jtaoj0,

The description doesn’t include all the information listed here that I would need to make any meaningful comments about the materials in the mattress or help you identify any weak links in the design. It is missing the specifics of the quilting layer (type and thickness) and the density of the base foam. The latex is blended Talalay which is a high quality and durable material but 14 ILD is the softest version of Talalay latex and would be less durable than firmer layers if you are in a higher weight range. 3" of very soft latex in addition to the quilting materials may also be a little risky in terms of alignment as well so I would make sure that you have done some careful testing on the mattress (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to confirm that it’s a suitable match for you in terms of PPP.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and depending on the criteria that are most important to you. If there are no weak links in the mattress then it’s certainly one of the better quality/.value mattresses made by a major manufacturer although I would make some careful value comparisons because there may be better quality/value options available in the area (see this recent topic for example).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Salt Lake City, UT area (subject to the “value” guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here. There are certainly other latex and latex hybrid options available in the area.

Phoenix[/quote]

The quilting layer is about 1 in thick; the manager (Justin) stated the material but I can’t remember the name. It was cotton like material when he showed the tear away.

I also asked about the density of the base foam and he didn’t seem to exactly know. Something like " the soy based foam isn’t measured exactly in ild like the talalay and that it’s along the line of 3/4 lb per square inch" again I’m paraphrasing. This was a very high quality mattress IMO. We visited gary at r&s and didn’t like the Brooklyn bedding options as much in talalay (liberty model). His primers were $200 less than this option but it wasn’t our favorite. Finally we went to Salt Lake City mattress (4500 s highland) and they carried pure latex bliss and diamond mattress latex models. Pricing was 2400-3000 and I really couldn’t feel much more value in these options.

Do you have any additional concerns about this mattress? I asked about the 14 ild and faster decline and their answer was to not be concerned and with proper rotation this would be a 10+ year bed.

Hi Rmsanger,

Without knowing the specific information here … there isn’t any way to assess the quality or durability of the materials in a mattress. You can’t “feel” the quality of the materials in a mattress and lower quality and less durable materials can feel the same as higher quality and more durable materials in a showroom or when they are new … they just don’t last as long.

ILD is a “comfort spec” that is used as a measure of softness/firmness with foam materials not a “quality spec” that affects the quality of the materials. It isn’t measured in pounds per square inch so they either didn’t provide you with accurate information or you may have misunderstood what they told you.

So called “soy foam” is just polyfoam that has replaced a relatively small percentage of one of the two main chemicals used to make the polyfoam (the polyol) with a polyol that is derived from soy oil (see post #2 here). It would be closely comparable to other types of polyfoam that are the same density range.

I would need to know all the information about the specifics of the materials in any mattress to be able to make any meaningful comments about it.

If you can find out all the information I would need and post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or the mattress as a whole.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix