Latex Mattress is too hard; seeking advice

Hi Phoenix,

I came across your website and am amazed by your wealth of knowledge.
My husband and I are facing challenges with a mattress and I thought you might be able to help.

I am 4 foot 11 inches and 105-110 pounds.
My husband is 5 foot 10 and 135-140 pounds.

We got a new bed from European Sleep Design— their Baltic ES model.
http://www.sleepdesign.com/Baltic-ES-Mattress

Initially we chose the softer talalay latex (17.8 ) with the firmer springs. I had back pain from sinking in to the soft latex and also sometimes pressure point pain as I would feel the firm springs below. We changed to the firmer talalay latex (32.9/33.6) on top and the slightly softer springs.

The firm latex hurts me over my head, shoulder, and hips (when side lying).

We borrowed a 1 inch soft talalay latex topper (17.8 ) from the store and tried it over the firm latex. For 4 days I was comfortable and the pressure point issues were alleviated. Then I started having the kind of back pain I get when my body isn’t being supported enough.

We are able to return this bed with a 20% restocking fee if we do so by this Saturday.

However, I am not enthused about starting all over again and, despite the bed being uncomfortable, all the components are really nice and I’ve no allergy issues at all in the 3 months we’ve been trying this bed (in all its variations).

I am wondering about keeping the bed and figuring out what type of topper would work to make us comfortable on it. I have tried my daughter’s 4 year old (compressed) all wool topper and that does not relieve the pressure points.

I would tremendously appreciate any guidance you could offer.

We are hoping to make choices that will work for us and hoping to minimize wasting money on ineffective options that we won’t be able to return. We also would really like to use all natural materials so I’m interested in natural latex (without synthetic added) as a topper.

Thank you in advance,
B

Hi ommama,

[quote]I am 4 foot 11 inches and 105-110 pounds.
My husband is 5 foot 10 and 135-140 pounds.

We got a new bed from European Sleep Design— their Baltic ES model.
www.sleepdesign.com/Baltic-ES-Mattress

Initially we chose the softer talalay latex (17.8 ) with the firmer springs. I had back pain from sinking in to the soft latex and also sometimes pressure point pain as I would feel the firm springs below. We changed to the firmer talalay latex (32.9/33.6) on top and the slightly softer springs.

The firm latex hurts me over my head, shoulder, and hips (when side lying).

We borrowed a 1 inch soft talalay latex topper (17.8 ) from the store and tried it over the firm latex. For 4 days I was comfortable and the pressure point issues were alleviated. Then I started having the kind of back pain I get when my body isn’t being supported enough.[/quote]

Unfortunately … I can’t feel what you feel and I don’t know nearly enough about either you or your mattress to make any specific suggestions that would be meaningful outside of more general possibilities based on educated guesswork. This would be similar to calling a doctor and telling them that your back hurts and asking what to do. In the same way that the doctor would probably suggest to visit a local doctor who can help you in person … my “best” suggestion would be to work with your retailer in person who in your case is very knowledgeable and experienced and would be the best source of guidance. They would know more about their mattresses and the types of changes that have helped their other customers in similar situations than anyone else.

In your original configuration you made two changes (the firmness of the latex and the firmness of the innerspring) which may have “jumped over” the configuration that may have been best for you. If you were feeling both pressure points and back pain then you may have only needed the single change of a little bit more thickness in the comfort layer with a topper and your back pain may have been from not having quite enough soft latex to “fill in the gaps” in your sleeping profile not because you were sinking into it too far (which isn’t as likely with only a 2" layer of latex).

When you switched to the firmer latex then it doesn’t surprise me that you were feeling pressure points because of the firmness of the latex in combination with your lighter weight.

When you added the topper … then the comfort layers may have been OK (in combination with the softer springs) but now the softness of the springs may be the underlying cause of your back pain.

Of course all of this is guesswork and I would definitely talk with them in person as they are in the best position to help.

Post #2 here has more information about some of the things that can affect the feel and performance of a new mattress and there is also more information in post #2 here and the posts it links to about the various “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress that may help you do some of the detective work that can help you identify some of the underlying causes behind your “symptoms” but this would be much more complex than just talking with them in person about your situation.

They are very good at helping to “track down” the types of changes that may be helpful. I would also ask them if you can extend your trial period slightly to give you the time you need to try out any other changes which would certainly be preferable to a return (for them as well as for you).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I understand what you are saying about how this is not the kind of thing you can easily make recommendations about from afar-- without knowing us or the bed!

I’m at my wits end. We tried all the configurations for this particular bed — one at a time. Soft latex/ harder springs, harder latex/ harder springs, soft latex/ softer springs and hard latex/ softer springs. My husband is reasonably comfortable on the soft latex with either the harder or softer springs. The “soft” springs are not super soft so they still give a good amount of support.

The retailer has tried to help us by suggesting all the changes above. They have given us an extra week. They also loaned us the topper to see if that would help.

I just don’t know whether to persist further in trying to make this bed work. The retailer could not think of anything else to suggest and offered us the option of returning it (something that they don’t often do). I was just about to return it to them, but I seem to have a strong persistence in wanting it to work.

What I think would have helped me is to have a latex foam with a medium firmness (in between the soft and hard foam choices they offer), but they don’t offer a medium foam.

I talked to another local store who mentioned that if the bed is too hard, a topper can help, but if the bed is too soft, there is no help for that. So my husband and I were wondering about keeping the bed with the harder foam and trying to find a topper that would make the bed work for us…

Any further thoughts?

Thank you,
B

Hi ommama,

There are 8 combinations that are possible with your mattress and topper.

1. Firmer innerspring with softer latex comfort layer

2. Firmer innerspring with firmer latex comfort layer

3. Softer innerspring with softer latex comfort layer

4. Softer innerspring with firmer latex comfort layer

Each of the above with the additional topper.

If you could let me know which of these 8 you have tried, how long you tried each of them, and with as much detail as possible describe your experience and symptoms on each of the combinations you have tried and compare them to each other (so I can get some sense of the effect of each change) then I may be able to get a better sense of what may be happening and how each change affected you compared to the combination before it.

This is very true (see post #4 here) but it applies to the firmness of your support layer (your innerspring) as well as to the thickness and/or softness of the comfort layers above it. If your innerspring is too soft then it would be very difficult to compensate for this with the layers above it but if the innerspring is too firm then additional layers above it can help.

It would be risky because there would be no guarantee of success but if I was determined to keep the mattress, unless there was compelling evidence that pointed against it (based on your experience with each combination), I would be tempted to keep the firmer innerspring with the firmer latex and then add a topper that can provide “just enough” additional softness and thickness to provide the additional pressure relief you needed with the leas possible risk of compromising your alignment.

Any additional information you can provide in as much comparative detail as possible would be helpful.

The most important information or “pointers” aren’t whether any particular combination “works” or not but how your sleeping experience and symptoms differ or the “direction of change” with each incremental change compared to a combination that only has one difference with the one you are describing so the effect of each single change can be better identified and that any “patterns” can become more visible.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your message.
I really appreciate your detective efforts on my behalf.
Here is what we tried:

First we tried the soft foam and the hard springs. It felt the most comfortable in the store. No pressure point issues and still felt a firmness below the foam. I tried it for nearly 30 days as that was the amount of time the retailer recommended in order to adjust to the bed. I became increasingly uncomfortable in my spine. Sometimes I would wake up feeling like my spine was rotated. My hips/butt sank into the bed more than my shoulders and I just didn’t feel well supported. I felt worse and worse. Sometimes I would actually feel some discomfort from the springs that felt too firm that I could feel through the soft foam. The foam just didn’t seem to give me enough support. When I lay on my back, I could feel an ache in my mid back midline that I experience when the mattress isn’t giving enough support.

So next I tried the firmer foam and the hard springs just for a week or two. I had a lot of shoulder pain and neck pain. Pressure points over my shoulders and hips. My neighbor who is a chiropractor took a look at my alignment on the bed and suggested a higher pillow to create more space between my lower shoulder and neck when I was lying on my side. Still the pillow felt very hard with the hard foam under my head. The hard foam also really hurt under my head when I lay on my belly and didn’t use the pillow. It really wasn’t comfortable and I now had only about 10 days left on my 60 day comfort exchange. I didn’t know what else to try. I spent a lot of time in the store trying to figure it out. The only thing left to try seemed to be…

the firmer foam with the softer springs. Swapping out the springs required an additional $75 delivery fee and a wait of several weeks for the springs to be ready.
Pretty much the same problems as above with the harder foam and harder springs. Pressure point pain over my head (when lying prone), my shoulders and hips. We were about to give up but the owner suggested trying their 1 inch soft foam topper. She lent it out for a week. For 4 days it felt good. The pressure points were relieved. But then I started having upper back pain midline and the usual sensations I get when my body doesn’t feel well supported so I didn’t feel comfortable investing an additional $600 in this topper since I wasn’t comfortable on it.

I have also slept about 3 different nights on the softer foam with the softer springs which my husband is currently on. No pressure point problems, but I have the sensations of not feeling well enough supported and get the aching pain in my back upper back midline that I tend to get when I don’t feel well enough supported.

I have also tried sleeping with my daughter’s wool topper on the firmer foam with the softer springs, softer foam with the softer springs, and firmer foam with the firmer springs. It has not helped in any way with any of these.

So that’s where we are…

This bed is also on adjustable wooden slats that come from the retailer. I have made some adjustments to get more support under my hips so that they don’t sink as much and that helps a little, but I still haven’t been able to get comfortable enough on this bed to feel like it makes sense to keep it.

Thank you again,
Beth

Hi ommama,

Thanks for the additional information and I’ll make a few comments about the configurations you’ve tried based on your feedback. It would also be helpful to know more about your sleeping history and normal sleeping positions since this can also make a difference (based on your comments it seems that you spend at least some time sleeping on your stomach and stomach/side sleeping is a very challenging combination because each one has very different and “opposite” requirements).

Based on your comments here it seems to me that the primary support was fine but that the secondary support and pressure relief may not have been and it may be “pointing to” a comfort layer that isn’t thick/soft enough to “fill in the gaps” in your sleeping profile and relieve your pressure points. A mattress that doesn’t have enough “thickness/softness” in the comfort layers may not be evenly supportive enough in all your sleeping positions even though the firmness and primary support from the innerspring is fine. It sounds like you may be “going through” the comfort layers and feeling more of the firmer innerspring than you are comfortable with and you may also be “twisting” away from your pressure points which can compromise rotational alignment issues (which can cause back pain). If this is the case and I am guessing correctly then adding a topper to this configuration may have worked well (but I don’t see any comments that indicate if you have tried this).

The shoulder and hip pressure points in this configuration would make sense because of the “firm/firm” combination which may not be the best combination for a side sleeper that is a lower weight. Your chiropractors suggestion to use a higher loft pillow was also a good one because having your head and neck in better alignment can also reduce shoulder pressure but with this type of configuration it’s not surprising it didn’t provide enough pressure relief … especially on your side. When you sleep in multiple positions it can also be helpful to use a pillow that can be “scrunched” so that it can be higher when you are side sleeping and flatter when you are sleeping on your stomach (back sleeping would be more in the middle).

[quote]the firmer foam with the softer springs. Swapping out the springs required an additional $75 delivery fee and a wait of several weeks for the springs to be ready.
Pretty much the same problems as above with the harder foam and harder springs. Pressure point pain over my head (when lying prone), my shoulders and hips. We were about to give up but the owner suggested trying their 1 inch soft foam topper. She lent it out for a week. For 4 days it felt good. The pressure points were relieved. But then I started having upper back pain midline and the usual sensations I get when my body doesn’t feel well supported so I didn’t feel comfortable investing an additional $600 in this topper since I wasn’t comfortable on it.[/quote]

I’m not sure which of the “same problems as above” you are referring to (combination #1 or combination #2) but since you are still using the firmer comfort layer then it wouldn’t be surprising that you are still experiencing pressure issues even with the softer spring (even though it would generally help to “some degree”). The softer springs may not be firm enough to keep you in good alignment … especially on your stomach … so you may have been “sagging” into the softer support system more than you should be. When you added the topper then it would make sense that your pressure points were relieved but this still wouldn’t have solved any issues that came from the softer coils and reduced primary support. I’m not sure which sleeping position the upper back pain was coming from but it seems to me that this could be from a pillow issue, the firmness of the comfort layers, or the softness of the innerspring.

Out of these 4 configurations (firmer innerspring/softer comfort layer … firmer innerspring/firmer comfort layers, softer innerspring/firmer comfort layers, softer innerspring/firmer comfort layers and a topper) … it seems to me that you may have “jumped over” the combination that may have been the most worthwhile testing (firmer innerspring/softer comfort layer and a topper).

If you did decide to keep the mattress there are also other sources for a latex topper that would be less than $600 in any firmness or thickness you decided to use. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to has more information about choosing a topper and includes a link to some of the better topper sources I’m aware of as well.

So based on guesswork and your feedback … it seems to me that the firmer innerspring/softer comfort layer and a topper would be the next “logical” thing to test and it’s quite possible it would be successful. If I was going to take the risk of keeping the mattress I would likely keep the version with a firmer innerspring and either the softer or firmer latex on top of it. The firmer comfort layer may need a thicker/softer topper than the softer comfort layer but of course all of this is mainly speculation and would need to be confirmed with your own testing or sleeping experience.

Phoenix

Hi again Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful analysis and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I tend to sleep in all positions: back, side, and stomach. Side is the most prevalent and I like to lie in bed and read mostly on my back.

From Phoenix:
So based on guesswork and your feedback … it seems to me that the firmer innerspring/softer comfort layer and a topper would be the next “logical” thing to test and it’s quite possible it would be successful. If I was going to take the risk of keeping the mattress I would likely keep the version with a firmer innerspring and either the softer or firmer latex on top of it. The firmer comfort layer may need a thicker/softer topper than the softer comfort layer but of course all of this is mainly speculation and would need to be confirmed with your own testing or sleeping experience.

From Beth:
With the softer foam and harder springs, I felt like the foam was too soft. It’s talalay latex and the ILD is only 17. I had the feeling of sinking in too far without enough support. You describe that the comfort layer may not have had enough softness/thickness to fill in the gaps and relieve pressure points. I didn’t feel any immediate pressure points while lying on this soft comfort layer, but I did sometimes feel the firm springs from the foundation layer when I was sleeping and those were uncomfortable. I can’t imagine that a softer layer would work better. This was already so soft and I can’t imagine that a thicker layer of the same 17 ILD Talalay would help because it would just be more of the same for me to sink into without being supported.

So I am curious about your suggestion to consider keeping the bed with the firm springs and soft comfort layer and add a topper. To me this would be adding a topper on top of a mushy layer and it doesn’t seem like it would help me. Could you explain your thought process?

The firm springs with the firm layer is not comfortable as it is because the firm layer is too firm under my shoulders and head in any position and too firm under my hips when side sleeping.

Have you known people to be successful in finding a good topper for a too firm mattress and end up being comfortable with good support and alleviation of pressure points?

Now I am at the final stage of deciding whether to keep the mattress. We have just two days left on our comfort exchange. So I’m trying to assess how high the chance will be that my husband and I can make ourselves comfortable on the too firm mattress by adding a topper layer.

I talked to someone at Pur-rest where they sell only Dunlop latex. She told me that the Dunlop latex will be more contouring and less squishy than the Talalay and recommended their 3 inch extra soft Dunlop latex topper on top of the firm talalay (33 ILD) and firm springs. She thought her topper would give me the softness I need while still giving enough support to hold my spine in alignment.

I would appreciate any new thoughts you have.

Beth

Hi ommama,

[quote]From Beth:
With the softer foam and harder springs, I felt like the foam was too soft. It’s talalay latex and the ILD is only 17. I had the feeling of sinking in too far without enough support. You describe that the comfort layer may not have had enough softness/thickness to fill in the gaps and relieve pressure points. I didn’t feel any immediate pressure points while lying on this soft comfort layer, but I did sometimes feel the firm springs from the foundation layer when I was sleeping and those were uncomfortable. I can’t imagine that a softer layer would work better. This was already so soft and I can’t imagine that a thicker layer of the same 17 ILD Talalay would help because it would just be more of the same for me to sink into without being supported.

So I am curious about your suggestion to consider keeping the bed with the firm springs and soft comfort layer and add a topper. To me this would be adding a topper on top of a mushy layer and it doesn’t seem like it would help me. Could you explain your thought process?[/quote]

Most of my rationale was in my last reply and the other posts I linked but I can add a few more thoughts without getting into a book about mattress design and theory.

It is very unlikely that you would be sinking “too much” into a comfort layer that was only 2" and in many cases mattress design and theory can be counterintuitive. What it “feels” like may be happening may be completely different from what is actually happening because what something “feels like” is very subjective and most people don’t have the knowledge or experience to “translate” this into the type of change that can produce the outcome they are looking for. It’s very easy to make changes that “fix” the wrong problem or change the wrong layer or component of the mattress (making changes to comfort layers instead of support layers or vice versa for example) which can have a very unexpected result for someone that isn’t familiar with the effect that different types of changes may produce.

You indicated that you could feel the firmness of the innerspring under the soft comfort layer and this can indicate that you need some extra thickness in the comfort layers to provide the pressure relief that can isolate you from the firmness of the support core to a greater degree. You are probably “going through” the thinner comfort layer too much in other words. A mattress that is too firm and/or where the comfort layers aren’t thick enough won’t keep you in good alignment because you won’t sink in enough to have enough compressed material under the “gaps” or recessed parts of your sleeping profile. Your feedback indicated that you were experiencing pressure issues as well as alignment issues with this combination which leads to the possibility that you just needed a little thicker comfort layers (for extra pressure relief and better secondary support to keep your lower back from sagging) but not necessarily a softer support core (innerspring).

Your other combinations also “pointed to” the possibility that the softer innerspring was too soft because you were experiencing alignment issues or “symptoms” on these as well.

If a support core (the innerspring) is too soft for you then nothing you add above it will work effectively (the top layers will just “bend into” the softer innersprings) while if you have a support core that is too firm then you can still add additional layers on top that can provide the pressure relief that you need.

So the “possibilities” that seemed to be the most likely both involved the firmer innerspring but different comfort layers. The firmer comfort layer combination (the firmer latex with the soft topper) would probably work better for your stomach sleeping while the softer comfort layer combination (the softer latex with the soft topper) would probably work better for your side sleeping. Your back sleeping could go either way.

The firm spring with the firmer latex would be slightly less risky because if you add a softer topper and it’s still to firm then you can add additional softness or thickness. Once any part of a mattress is too thick/soft (either the comfort or support layers) then you can only “fix” it by removing and replacing the layers or components that are too thick or soft.

This is something I can’t answer because I don’t have enough information about your experience on the firmer innerspring with the soft top layer and the topper or with the firmer innerspring with the firmer comfort layer and the topper to have any clarity about whether either of them would work for you or how your experience may be different from the combinations you have tried. As I mentioned … the firmer comfort layer would be a little less “risky” but may need more additional softness above it to provide the pressure relief you need.

The Dunlop will tend to be less “squishy” than the Talalay and in the same ILD will also feel firmer and less pressure relieving than Talalay. I also agree that your best odds would be the firmer springs but the question that can’t be answered yet is what layering would work best above it. She (like me) would have no way to know whether her suggestions would work until you test them or sleep on them in person and I would also keep in mind that they only sell Dunlop (and their Dunlop prices are also more costly than other suppliers) so she would tend to “lean” away from Talalay. There is more about the differences between different types and blends of latex in this article and post #6 here and there is more about the differences between how they “feel” in post #7 here but the most reliable way to know which one you prefer would be your own experience.

Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to also has more information that can be helpful in choosing the firmness and thickness of a topper based on your actual sleeping experience on a mattress without the topper. The “odds” say that there are probably more people that prefer Talalay for comfort layers than Dunlop although this can vary widely and certainly doesn’t indicate the preference or “best choice” for any particular person.

Phoenix

Hi again Phoenix,

Thank you for all your help.

We were able to negotiate with the store to have some more time.

What we now have for our bed is firmer springs as well as both sets of foam to try (will need to return one set to the store):

• the 2 inch all natural talalay soft (ILD 17)
  • the 2 inch all natural talalay firm (ILD 33)
  • my daughter’s wool topper

We have tried a number of combinations:

firm springs/ firm latex/ soft latex-- This is not supportive enough for me. I don’t get the right alignment with the 2 inches of soft latex on top. (Again I am about 105 pounds and sleep on back, side, and belly.)
firm springs/ firm latex-- ouch-- painful pressure points
firm springs/ firm latex/ wool topper – too firm; pressure points
firm springs/ firm latex/ soft latex/ wool topper-- no pressure points, but just feels too firm
firm springs/ soft latex/ wool topper-- not enough support, especially in lumbar area

All along I have been thinking that the firm latex is too firm for me and the soft latex is too soft for me.

I was wondering about purchasing some medium latex from a site like Sleep Like a Bear.

This would leave us sleeping on firm springs with 2 inches of medium latex on top.
What I need is a good amount of support without having the foam poke into me or feel too hard.

I am wondering whether this would do the trick. Sleep Like a Bear has 2 ILDs that are in-between the soft and firm we have.

Here are their choices (below). I am wondering whether I would choose N2 or N3. We currently have ILD 17 (too soft) and ILD 33 (too hard) made by Radium International.

N1: (Extra Soft 14-19.99 ILD)
N2: (Soft 20 ILD - 24.99 ILD)
N3: (Medium 25 ILD - 29.99 ILD)
N4: (Firm 30 ILD - 34.99 ILD)
N5: (Extra Firm 35 ILD - 41.99 ILD)

Thank you!
Beth

Hi ommama,

I don’t really have enough information to be able to guess what may be happening.

[quote]firm springs/ firm latex/ soft latex-- This is not supportive enough for me. I don’t get the right alignment with the 2 inches of soft latex on top. (Again I am about 105 pounds and sleep on back, side, and belly.)

firm springs/ firm latex/ soft latex/ wool topper-- no pressure points, but just feels too firm

firm springs/ soft latex/ wool topper-- not enough support, especially in lumbar area[/quote]

When you are suggesting that these combinations are “not supportive enough” I don’t know what that means to you. What specific symptoms are you experiencing on each combination? When do you experience the symptoms (early in the night or when you wake up in the morning)? How long did you try each of them? Which of your sleeping positions seem to be causing any issues you are having? If you have only 2" of soft latex on top then “theory” says that the only sleeping position where you may have a support issue may be on your stomach but this is also less likely with only 2" of soft latex.

Don’t forget that your primary support comes primarily from the deeper layers of the mattress and secondary support and pressure relief/comfort comes from the softness and thickness of the upper layers of the mattress. Any transition layer in between them contributes to both. Different sleep positions also have different support needs (they have different body profiles that interface with the mattress in different ways) so I’m also not clear on which of your sleeping positions you are referring to when you are suggesting the mattress isn’t supportive enough.

A mattress that is too firm and doesn’t allow you to sink in enough to “fill in the gaps” in your sleeping profile can be just as “non supportive” and cause sagging in the lumbar area just as much as a mattress that is too soft and allows part of your body to sink down too far.

The actual symptoms you experience and the sleeping positions that seem to be the ones that contribute to your symptoms the most are part of the key to deciding what to do next.

I would also make support/alignment your first priority, pressure relief your second priority, and “feel” would be the last priority and if the only thing that needs to change is the “subjective feel” of the mattress it may just be a matter of adjusting to the more subjective sensations of a new sleeping surface. If you have no actual “symptoms” then you are most of the way to your goal.

Phoenix