Latex Mattress is too HOT!!!

We’ve had a waterbed for a great number of years, him 30+ years, myself since I’ve known him, plus a number of years before. Recently, due to unforeseen circumstances (bed heater caught fire, burned through mattress), we needed a new bed. He still loves the waterbed, as it was never too hot or cold, only as hard or soft as the water and bodies on the bed, in other words, just right. I, however, have never gotten a good nights sleep on it in; the support just wasn’t right for me. So, after I did some research, I opted to look more into a latex mattress, for a number of reasons.

First, it does not have coils. I figured that for someone going from water to coils might just be too much, and his preference was no coils.
Second, in our motorhome, we tried memory foam, and with the exception of it being a sauna (water included) to sleep on, it was quite comfortable, conforming to each individually.
Third, he sleeps hot.

I originally thought of trying to find a cooler memory foam, but after extensive research, both here and just general google searches, was unable to find any significant reduction of heat. But a few places mentioned latex foam as the coolest of all foam beds. It was mentioned that perhaps only 10% at most would find a latex mattress too hot, and often then it was as simple to rectify as putting a thin cooling topper on the mattress.

Thus far, each night has been exceptionally hot in the bed, even to myself who sleeps cold. This is with nights that ranged from 27.3F to 68F, so not very hot nights. The 27.3F night, the room did not exceed 62F at any time, and was often colder.

So far, we’ve had no such luck in cooling the bed. We have tried the just mattress itself under cotton sheets. We tried under satin sheets. We then put a 2" down alternative mattress topper on it under cotton sheets (over a ; that made it a lot more comfortable, but did nothing for the heat. We even got a 2.5" mattress topper that advertises specifically cooling the bed significantly. We then put the cooling topper on top of the down alternative topper and removed any protective covers from the mattress (save the actual mattress covering itself), under cotton sheets. With these three items, you name it, we’ve tried it. This has all been to no avail. We do not run the A/C at night, ever.

We cannot return this mattress. Even if we could, we have no idea what else we would exchange it for. He has stated that he is over waterbeds, but is still not interested in a coil bed.

How do we cool this bed?!? It is unbearable, and nobody can sleep. Please help.

Thank you.

Hi jayne,

Post #2 here along with post #29 here may give you some insights into what may be happening. Temperature regulation on a mattress is usually a combination of factors that work together either for or against good temperature regulation.

The things to look at would be the top layers of foam (not all latex mattresses have latex in the top layer), the mattress quilting and ticking (synthetic fibers and fabrics and particularly polyester will be warmer than natural materials that are more breathable and wick moisture better), the mattress protector you are using (the thin semi breathable membrane type is less breathable and can sleep warmer), your sheets and bedding (although it seems that these are fine) and the toppers you are using. Natural fibers would normally be cooler than synthetic fibers (like the polyester in the down alternative topper). How far you are sinking in to all the layers will also make a difference because the more you sink in the more insulating material there is around you.

What type of mattress protector are you using?

Have you considered a wool topper? Wool is one of the most temperature regulating materials there is.

Phoenix

Did I miss something here? No mention of what mattress this is or how it is constructed. As Phoenix stated, it could very well be that it’s a play on the word latex and there may be some poly foams or other contributing factors near the surface.

[quote=“TD-Max” post=14339]Did I miss something here? No mention of what mattress this is or how it is constructed…
[/quote]

I’d like to hear more about it. I imagine talalay latex (with its pincore holes) would sleep quite a bit cooler than dunlop. I sleep hot in general and am getting ready to buy a latex bed… hopefully it won’t be a problem for me! :S

Hi TheLight,

Most Dunlop latex also has pincores just like Talalay (although some that are made in thinner layers through a continuous process don’t). The reason that latex is so breathable has as much to do with its open cell structure which allows air to flow through the foam as it does with the pincores (latex without pincores would also be breathable in other words).

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I didn’t know that Dunlop process also has pincores. Good thing you straightened me out, as it probably prevented a future argument with a salesperson :lol:
Good to know that the entire cell structure of latex aids in cooling, I was ruling out Dunlop as I thought the cooling/airing out effect only came as a result of the pincores (of which I thought only Talalay had).

Hi TheLight,

Here’s a video of a Dunlop continuous process that doesn’t use pincores.

Here’s a video of a Dunlop molded process that does use pincores.

Phoenix

So far, we’ve had no such luck in cooling the bed. We have tried the just mattress itself under cotton sheets. We tried under satin sheets. We then put a 2" down alternative mattress topper on it under cotton sheets (over a ; that made it a lot more comfortable, but did nothing for the heat. We even got a 2.5" mattress topper that advertises specifically cooling the bed significantly. We then put the cooling topper on top of the down alternative topper and removed any protective covers from the mattress (save the actual mattress covering itself), under cotton sheets. With these three items, you name it, we’ve tried it. This has all been to no avail. We do not run the A/C at night, ever.

Like you I went from a waterbed which I loved (my wife hated it and got rid of it one day-boy was I mad!) to a memory foam.I have to admit after a year of the new bed I really do enjoy it. The no motion transfer is great compared to a water bed. I think my Tempflow was worth every penny, but had I known more about latex I would definitely have checked that out as well. I am a hot sleeper as well. When we first got the Tempflow mattress I didn’t have a protector on it (other the bamboo covering it came with) so I went out and bought a breathable mattress protector (because I wanted to protect the mattress and also it would make cleaning a lot easier) . what a mistake! it wasn’t very breathable…I woke up in the middle of the night in sweats and so did my wife. I started to take temperature readings of the mattress (using a thermal heat gun) with and without the so called breathable protector and there was a difference. We were using all cotton sheets (make sure yours are all cotton not some Polly blend). I was about to break down and order a very expensive wool mattress protector when I contacted Tempflow to order a pillow for my mother in law (she loved our pillows) I told them the problem I was having and they suggested I try their all organic protector. They told me if it didnt work I could return it. What did I have to loose? It worked great! The bed no longer heated up (and i took temp readings to prove it)

The important thing with these mattresses are that everything that goes on the bed can add to the heat which is different than when you had your water bed, the protector (if you are using one) the sheets (if they are not 100% cotton, the blankets (if they are not 100% cotton and so on. Check it all and try to see if making sure all that touches the bed is cotton and see if that helps you. If you are going to go a topper or mattress cover route Phoenix is right that a wool topper may help, or as in my case an all organic cotton one, but before you go to the expense check all your bedding. Good luck to you.

Hi…bought a talalay natural latex 3" topper….way too hot!!! Also expensive!!!

I happen to be able to sleep comfortable on latex or a latex topper. I think most people are fine regarding temperature on latex in general as it is more breathable/ open cell than most bedding materials. For those that sleep exceptionally hot though i noticed in my testing that microcoil toppers sleep a little cooler though. The problem is there is not a large selection out there yet, hopefully some day we’ll have more options. The only microcoil topper that’s available for retail, that doesn’t use any latex is the naturepedic eos microcoil topper(latex-free). It will come with latex unless you specify that you want the microcoil version. It is expensive though for a topper & as a combo sleeper who sleeps part time on my stomach I had an issue with bowing in at the hips in that position. In other position it was great. So if the high price is not an issue and you don’t sleep on your stomach I would try it out.

If anyone knows of any other latex free or polyfoam free microcoil toppers available for retail post it here. I know wool room makes a latex free wool & microcoil topper, anyone have any experience with it? I might try it out. I love latex products and i also love to try non polyfoam, non latex products as well for fun :smiling_face:

Hi Rocklady.

I am sorry to hear you are sleeping hot on your latex topper.

All foam including latex is an insulator but some are more insulating or breathable than others. Talalay latex for example as a category is the most breathable of the foam groups but if you put a fabric or other materials over it that doesn’t allow for airflow it can still sleep hot. If it is softer then you will sink into it more and it will “surround you” and be more insulating than if it was firmer and you sink into it less

I would also suggest reading this very comprehensive post on what factors into sleeping hot on a mattress; chances are, it’s not the topper that is the culprit in feeling too warm.

The short version is, sleeping hot is always a combination of several interacting factors that determines the sleeping temperature of a mattress in combination with a specific person and environment.

I hope that post above helps you to troubleshoot, and should you need any assistance, we are here to help.

NikkiTMU