Latex Mattress Kingsdown Brenda Lee

Hello

I was shopping for a latex matress and visited luxurious beds linens. The have many expensive latex mattresses. The one I liked the most was this 15" kingsdown latex mattress the owner said it was all natural had no fire retardants but I cannot find it anywhere else and I have no idea if he’s being honest not very transparent. https://www.lbal.ca/ they have stores in Saint Albert and Oakville in Albert and Ontario in Canada. Please Help!

Hi AdamGG,

There are many mattresses that are described as “latex” mattresses that only contain some percentage of latex and contain other types of materials (such as polyfoam) in addition to the latex as well. If you look at the law tag on the mattress it will tell you the percentage of each of the different materials in the mattress by weight. This way you can at least get a rough idea of the content of different materials in the mattress.

What the law tag won’t tell you is the specifics of all the layers inside the mattress which I would certainly want to know before making any purchase.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can find out all the specifics of all the layers inside the mattress that are described in the article about the “mattress specifications you need to know” and post them on the forum I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could be a reason for concern relative to the durability and useful life of the mattress.

A good retailer that is transparent about the materials and components in their mattress should be able to easily provide you with all the information you need about all the materials and components in a mattress to make an informed choice but if for any reason the retailer you are dealing with is either unwilling or unable to provide you with all the information you need to to confirm there are no lower quality/density materials or weak links in any mattress you are considering then I would avoid the mattress completely because the risk of premature foam softening and/or breakdown that can lead to the loss of comfort and/or support and the need to replace the mattress much too quickly would be too high.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Thank you for your fast reply. The challenge is there is no other store carrying this model and its really expensive over $4,000 for just the mattress. I was told it was talalay latex which is 100% natural also they use some sort of foam at bottom of the mattress. Is 11" of natural latex worth $4,000 covered in polyester? I love the comfort but we want to pay a fair price we are not cheap. They say its a model that is made specifically for them by Kingsdown. The CEO Dave said its just as natural as most organic mattresses out there.

Hi AdamGG,

That depends on how it compares to your other finalists you are comparing it but you won’t be able to make meaningful comparisons until you are able to confirm the specifics of all the layers and components in the mattress.

While price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

Again … there is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

There may be other similar latex mattresses that are available to you either locally or online that may be just as suitable in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and are just as durable that are available in a lower budget range but the only way to know this would be based on additional local or online research and testing so you have a frame of reference for comparison.

If you let me know your city or postal code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

I live in Edmonton, Alberta

Hi AdamGG,

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Edmonton, AB area are listed in post #136 here.

Phoenix

The Brenda Lee mattress is essentially a clone (different cover) of the Kingsdown Vivarri sold by Mattress Mattress locally as well. The latex used is 30% Natural, 70% Synthetic to the best of my knowledge. There is as you noted 11" of latex which is impressive however the 15" height comes from a roughly 2" layer of firm poly foam in the base as well as a 2" soft polyfoam directly underneath the cover/top fibres. This is an addition to the sides of the mattress being made of polyurethane foam perimeter.

Its actually a very comfortable mattress, I know as I sold the equivalents @ Mattress Mattress before we started our own stores. But that being said the claims about it being natural are certainly misleading at best. The polyfoam in the top also would negate somewhat the airflow of the latex cores in addition to being a potential cause of body indentations.