Latex mattress layers

Hello there,
I have been doing research on a new latex mattress. I desperately need a new mattress, I can’t wait much longer. There is so much different information on latex mattresses. Does anyone have an opinion on the thickness of a latex mattress? Is one solid 8" mattress better than one made with a 4" base and two 2" inch toppers or 9" made of 4,3,2, or a 6" base and 3" topper? I understand the concept of the layers so you can rearrange them to comfort, but does anyone really do this? So to sum up - one solid laxtex mattress or a few layers? Thank so much

Hi dzcomet,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness than either of the mattresses you are considering but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design.

One other benefit of a thicker mattresses that have multiple layers that can be rearranged or exchanged (as you mentioned) is that there are more layering combinations possible for changing and fine tuning the performance and feel of the mattress but in many cases this wouldn’t be necessary and in some cases can lead to a level of complexity that can make predicting how the layers interact more difficult (see post #2 here).

There would be little if any practical difference between multiple layers of the same type of material, for example two 3" support layers and a single 6" support layer if they were all the same type and blend of latex and the same ILD and were inside a tight fitting cover with 3" inches of latex of the same ILD on top of them. Two 3" layers would respond a little more independently and because the elasticity of the top 3" wouldn’t be connected and “pulling back” on the bottom 3" when it compresses and “in theory” it may act a little bit softer but in practical and real life terms most people wouldn’t notice any difference in terms of performance or firmness. If a single 6" core with a 3" comfort layer was a good match for you in terms of PPP then there would be little benefit in having multiple 3" layers that were the equivalent ILD.

So the overall thickness of a mattress that is either “needed” or “preferred” would depend on the combinations of the layers and components that are needed to achieve the design goal of the mattress and provide the PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) that can best match each person and their unique body type, sleeping positions, and preferences.

And as for an 8" mattress, latex is usually poured in 6" cores at its thickest.

I hope that helps.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know if King size latex mattresses use 2 twin base core mattresses with a fullsize king topper or is it all one slab?

Hi dzcomet,

King size latex layers in Talalay will have a glue seam, as most Talalay is poured in twin extra long (most common) or queen molds. Dunlop may or may not have a seam, as there is some Dunlop poured in sizes large enough to accommodate king dimensions. It would depend upon the manufacturer.

Phoenix

I’m a little confused… We are deciding between purchasing component latex mattresses from 2 member retailers and they have both told me 2 different things. My husband and I are average sized people, I’m 5’4" 140lb, Hubby 5’10.5" 170lb. One member retailer says there would be no difference in feel from a 10" to a 13" mattress, that it would be unnecessary and a waste of money. The other, very convincingly, says the feel would be plusher with a 13" and the 10" would be firmer. I don’t feel as though either is trying to deceive me, but how can they both be correct? We just want to get the right mattress the first time and not have to deal with exchanges and returns, as does everyone else… Thanks for your help.

Hi craz4cakes.

While I wasn’t part of the phone conversation and I can’t interpret what you were told, your feeling is probably right that both retailers are trying to help you. I would point out that the overall the feel of a mattress is the result of all the layers and components working together, their arrangement, the ILD, thickness and many other factors including the cover, quilting and the actual encasement. Depending on the arrangement there can certainly be a difference between 10" and 13" thick mattress and it is better to think of the thickness as a byproduct of the actual design. The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the materials (type, firmness, etc.) and on all the other layers in the mattress.

Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be, the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be. There is certainly no reason that at your weight you would “need” more thickness, but you may still “prefer” a mattress that is thicker or thinner depending on the design and layer arrangement and perhaps customization options as well.

In general, unless another manufacturer tried a product of another manufacturer they cannot speak about the feel of someone else’s product in detail, they can certainly speak about the componentry and durability of a product and the overall feel of the product. Even then this could be inaccurate as each person would have a subjective experience of the mattress, which could be different from someone else’s. Perhaps what was meant is that for their own particular design going with 13" inch vs 10" would not bring any benefit to you and it would be unnecessary particularly for your BMI and that you would not notice much of a difference (which is nice as are not trying to upsell the product).
As each manufacturer is carefully designing their products and in some cases improving on their designs based on customer feedback, they would usually base their recommendations on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you" This is a long way to say that both designs can work for you.

This is a good mindset to have a successful mattress purchase, but even then it is good to remember that an online purchase has its own “risks” and that sometimes a process of trial and error is unavoidable as nobody can feel what you feel on the mattress and predict with certainty how a particular product would work for you as you have unique sensitivities, needs, and preferences. You can read more about the pros and cons of a local purchase vs an online purchase in this topic and Post #2 here about dealing with experienced, educated and helpful manufacturers who have the knowledge to guide you through the process and find something that they honestly think will fit your specific sleeping positions, somatotype, BMI and individual needs.

I hope this addresses your concerns and helps you move forward in selecting the best option for you.

Phoenix

I’m wondering this as well.

I have been wondering this as well.