LATEX MATTRESS-MIAMI ALMOST FINAL DECISION

Hello! After reading many posts and research… I’ve narrowed it down to 3 choices:
Habitat Furnishings, SleepEZ and DE MATTRESS (LOCAL-MIAMI) Well…
There are three factors that are not allowing me to make a decision between Habitat and SleepEZ:

1. Habitat glues the latex layers, SleepEZ doesnt’ … still don’t know if this is good or not.
  2. Habitat’s TALALAY is 100%, SleepEZ is blended, I’ve read blended is ok… sometimes better.
  3. Habitat and SleepEZ … I will not be able to try any of them.
    So… I am going tomorrow to DE MATTRESS, I will try their mattresses, they are local and if I don’t like it I SURE HOPE … I can bring the mattress back myself. HOWEVER… even though they have been in business for over 40 years… I can vouch for that… I don’t know if I will get as much warranty and quality as I would with the two mentioned above. Ugh… this is so stressfull…
    I have not had a decent mattress in years! I am 56, broke my neck at 28, I’m sleeping on a BJ’S sorry $100 mattress. I am so achy all the time… don’t know if it is the “aging factor”, the terrible twin mattress, the “Miami stress” or what it is… but I need rest… my weight 139lbs, 5’3" and sleep on my side. I had a memory foam from Rooms To Go… did not like at all… so I was considering back to basics a traditional coils mattress but changed my mind to a latex one.

Since you live in FL, call James at Bedmasters. They are on tge preferred lust. He makes custom beds and I’m a eheelchair user and ordered mine today. Very decent price.

Hi LGO,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

There is more about the pros and cons of a “finished mattresses” that generally has glued layers vs a component mattresses with unglued layers and a zip cover in post #15 here and post #2 here. The largest advantage to the component-style system is the ability to customize and rearrange layers over time to create different comforts. Others prefer not to change comforts and like the simplicity of a mattress that is not customizable.

Habitat uses Talalay and Dunlop in their mattresses that is natural (NR). Sleep EZ offers Talalay in their mattresses that can be either blended (SBR/NR) or natural (NR), depending upon your component customization request, and their Dunlop is natural. All would be good quality and durable materials. There’s a bit more (which you may heave already read this) about the difference between synthetic (SBR) and natural (NR) latex rubber in post #2 here.

SleepEZ is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

You can also see some of my thoughts about Habitat latex mattresses in post #3 here and a forum search on Habitat (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them. Their latex mattresses use good quality materials but they can be a bit more costly than other similar mattresses that have limited options to “fit” their mattresses to different people, body types, and sleeping positions. They are also an “all or nothing” choice that don’t provide any options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress other than adding a topper (if it’s too firm) or returning the mattress for a refund, which may enter into your personal value equation.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the latex they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else. You can also become more familiar with how many configuration options the company offers. You can also become more familiar with any potential exchange/customization/return options that a company may provide. These online retailers or manufacturers can also be a good “value reference” for local purchases to make sure that if you are paying a “premium” for a local purchase (in exchange for the kind of “in person” guidance, service, and value that comes with dealing with a local retailer that can help you make more “accurate” choices that you have tested in person) is not too high. Post #2 here and this topic have more about the pros and cons of a local vs an online purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you, I will call them. This is exhausting… I went to De Mattress… too busy to help me… unbelievable!!! I’m going to Biscayne Bedding on Monday. We’ll see…

Hi LGO,

That’s too bad. Unfortunately sometimes, especially on the weekend, sales staffs can be overstretched and aren’t able to give customers as much attention as they would normally be able.

I hope you’re able to get some good information with your phone calls.

Phoenix