Latex Mattress - Online

Hi there! First off, I just want to say thank you for this website, the information and discussion on here has been EXTREMELY helpful. I’m a consumer who likes to analyze everything I buy to a certain extent, and a mattress is no exception. I have never purchased a mattress before, we’ve been sleeping on a mattress that was given to us (some sort of spring mattress, it was free, so didn’t ask questions/look into it) with a foam topper (literally two “egg crate” types foam pieces), so about anything we get is going to be awesome in comparison.

Next, after reading through a ton of material, researching online and trying out a few mattress locally, I’ve decided the best option is for us to purchase a latex foam mattress online. There are no local manufacturers, and a drive to the nearest one would be 2 hours and with both of us working full time and a 15 month old daughter, that’s just not going to happen anytime soon and I’m getting antsy about getting something more comfortable. With that being said, I’m looking at potentially buying from SleepEZ, as we want an adjustable foundation and they also carry the Reverie adjustable beds, hence the one-stop-shop. I noticed that they were running a special right now (until the 18th) and thought they seemed like a good quality company to deal with. I have not spoken to them yet (my next step after writing this and hopefully getting some feedback) to talk about options, but am currently leaning toward a medium firmness for both my husband and myself. We are wanting a split king configuration.

We have not been able to try a lot of mattresses, however, we did try some “latex” mattresses today. I believe he said that the “core” was omalon foam, not 100% sure about that, but it was the Eco Comfort brand of the Lady Americana line. There was a soft version with a 3" Talalay latex comfort layer, and a firmer version with a 2" Talalay comfort layer. We ended up thinking something in between would be nice. The guy in the store seemed to be somewhat knowledgeable, and at least friendly, but he said that latex can’t be a mattress core, which I know is wrong. We knew we weren’t buying one of his mattresses, so I didn’t press him on details, we just wanted to see if we really liked latex or not. We’ve had latex pillows for years and love them, but I never knew there were latex beds until recently. I know that’s not a lot to go on with mattresses that we’ve actually tried, but I feel fairly comfortable ordering online, because I think neither one of us is really all that picky, so we’ll probably end up liking it (especially compared to what we’re used to).

Ok, all that being said, I was wondering if anyone had any advice. SleepEZ is the main one I’m looking at, but I know there are a lot of options for latex foam (several of which are members of this site). Their warranty looks pretty decent and I like that they’ve been around a while. I think I’m looking for some amount of reassurance that I’m not crazy for pulling the trigger on this without trying more beds. I know they do allow you to switch out one of the layers for free if you’re not completely satisfied, which is a nice bonus, but I’d also like to get it right the first time if possible. Also, do you have any wisdom on covers? That is one thing that I haven’t really looked into well, as I’ve spent most of my time looking at mattresses/foundations. I tend to sleep hot, my husband tends to sleep cool, so I definitely want something that will be comfortable for both of us. We’re both average size (150 - 160 lbs), he’s stomach and side and I’m side and back. So I was looking at getting the 9" mattress, since I’ve seen on here that is plenty of mattress for average sized people.

Thank you so much!! :slight_smile:

Hi scarlet113,

Your question is a little bit too broad to provide any specific comments that aren’t already included in the mattress shopping tutorial but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

As you know I think highly of SleepEZ and they are one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They have been in business since 1976 and they have built a great reputation over a period of many years and there are many members here that have purchased from them and been very happy with their purchase.

Outside of any local options that may be available to you … there are also other retailers or manufacturers that also sell component latex mattresses online so if you wish to broaden the options that you are considering then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex (including 100% natural Talalay and Dunlop and certified organic Dunlop) that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices. Post #3 here also includes a list of online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses online as well.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

When you are purchasing online then the guidance that comes from the manufacturer in combination with any testing you have done is all you really have to go by but a knowledgeable manufacturer will help you choose a suitable layering combination that will work well for the large majority of people and rearranging layers or exchanging layers will generally find a suitable layering combination for the majority of people where their initial layering combination wasn’t suitable for them so there is only a small minority that don’t end up finding a layering combination that works well for them.

Again I’m not clear on the specific question you are asking but there is more about some of the pros and cons of a quilted cover vs a more stretchy knit cover (which are the two main types of covers that you will usually encounter) in post #12 here and the posts it links to.

I would agree that most people in your weight range or even significantly higher wouldn’t normally “need” more than 9" of latex although there may be some people that prefer a thicker mattress and/or additional layers (see post #14 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix-

Thank you so much for your response, I sometimes get ahead of myself and I see that many of the questions I asked were vague/broad, I apologize for that!

I read through everything you linked to, thank you for that. I hadn’t found a couple of the posts and those were very helpful. I am also more comfortable with ordering a mattress online.

Now, I’ve narrowed it down to Flexus and SleepEZ. I think both would likely meet our needs (still have yet to talk to either of them, plan on doing that later today), but did have one question for you regarding the Talalay Latex. SleepEZ uses a blended Talalay in the top layer, and it seems that Flexus uses a natural Talalay. I read the article about comfort layers to find out more information, but still had a question, is the blended Talalay really more durable over time? I like the sound of natural better, but am comfortable having the blended if it is more durable and the same quality. Again, I know I need to just talk to both companies, but was curious about your take on the blended vs. natural.

Thank you so much!!

Hi scarlet113,

SleepEZ has several options that include 100% natural Talalay, 100% natural Dunlop, and blended Talalay depending on which line you choose.

As far as I know Flexus uses 100% natural Dunlop and blended Talalay (blended Talalay contains 30% natural rubber so it’s often called “natural” rather than 100% natural).

Both of them would be very durable materials in a suitable firmness range and there is more about the differences between them in post #2 here. If the source of the 100% natural Talalay is Talalay Global (previously Latex International) then the blended could be slightly more durable in lower ILD’s and if the source of the Talalay is Radium then they would be closely comparable in terms of durability.

Phoenix

So, a quick update, after speaking with both SleepEZ and Flexus Comfort, I’ve decided to go with SleepEZ. They seem to be a little more used to online orders from other states, and have a white glove delivery service for the adjustable foundationsthat doesn’t cost any extra. Shawn was also extremely nice and helpful to talk to and really put me at ease about the whole process. He mentioned that they supply latex foam from both Talalay Global and Radium and would be able to get eithe the blended or natural from either. I still have a few more questions for him before I order, but I’m really excited to get a great mattress from them.

This is a question I’ll ask Shawn as well, but he mentioned that the adjustable bases take longer to be delivered than the mattress would, thereby needing to do something in the meantime for a foundation. My husband does not want to put the mattress on the floor, so I thought we might just put it on top of our existing mattress for the interim, do you think this would work ok? It would likely only be for a week or two.

Thank you so much for your help Phoenix, I will report back on our experience once we’ve had one to share. :slight_smile:

Hi scarlet113,

You were certainly looking at some great options … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

I wouldn’t put it on top of another mattress because it could compromise the support of the mattress but it may be OK to use it on your current support system (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed). If your current support system isn’t suitable for a latex mattress then you could probably use some plywood on top of it to make sure that it would provide adequate support for your mattress.

Phoenix

HI Phoenix,

So, just wanted to give a quick update. We received our mattress on Monday, no problems setting it up. We ended up with two twin XL’s with soft Talalay/medium Dunlop/firm Dunlop and the cotton quilted wool cover. My first impression of laying on the mattress was amazing, latex foam has such an interesting feel to it. Soft yet supportive. However, I did not end up sleeping great the first night. My shoulders ached a bit from sleeping on my side and the bed just felt a lot more firm than I was used to. After perusing the forum a bit for some tips, I came across some discussions with suggestions that ended up helping me last night. I switched out my pillow for a firmer, more supportive pillow (actually the “free” latex one that came with the mattress order) and that seemed to put my body more in alignment. I know you can unzip the cover to make it a little softer, and I still might do that, but for right now, I’m going to try some other things. I started slowly walking on my mattress a bit to attempt to break in the foam and stretch out the cover. After doing these things, I had a better night last night (not withstanding crazy wind and storms) and I had no shoulder pain this morning. So, to wrap it up, it was love at first site, then it betrayed me for a night, but now I’m willing to keep trying to see where things go. I feel like the mattress forces me into a more aligned position, which is good for me, but different from my curled up twist I used to sleep in. We actually have the mattress on the floor currently, but we’re getting our adjustable Reverie foundation tonight and I’m excited to see how everything feels together. If you have any other suggestions for helping me in my quest to making my mattress the best it can be for me, I would appreciate them, however, I also know that time is the best indicator and I may just need to allow my body to make the appropriate adjustments. It really is a top-notch bed, and SleepEZ has some of the best customer service I’ve ever come across. They were a pleasure to do business with. As a side note, my husband loves his new bed, and now that I’ve switched, he has since stolen my old pillow that he’s been wanting to steal for a long time. He couldn’t be happier. :wink:

Hi scarlett113,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback. Things certainly sound promising so far.

The best initial suggestion I can make is just to give things a little bit of time. As you probably know there will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress (higher density materials like latex can take longer) and it can be surprising to many people how much their sleeping experience can change over the course of the first month or so. Outside of making pillow changes … I would generally suggest sleeping on any new mattress for a few weeks at a minimum (preferably a month or so) whenever possible before deciding on whether it’s a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and/or deciding to make any changes or additions to your mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

So, the bed is definitely getting more and more comfy, I’m really starting to like my new latex mattress. Now that we have the adjustable bed, it just feels like the total package. I never would have gone that route if it hadn’t been for this website, so thank you.

Ah, but the quest for ultimate comfort never quite ends, right? :wink: Now I’m convinced I need a different pillow. Every latex pillow that we had before we got the mattress is much too soft/thin and does not support enough when I’m on my side. The firmer ones that came with the mattress (the solid SleepEZ pillows) were good at first, but they are just too firm for me, and I’m now waking up with a stiff neck. It just feels like there is very little give in the pillow. So, I’ve looked over a lot of the pillow discussion, and noticed that you really like the zoned Malouf latex pillow and many seem to like the LaNoodles pillow. I’ve slept on a solid latex foam pillow for many years, but generally ended up sleeping with my arm underneath it to bunch it up a bit. This is not as easy to do with the latex foam mattress, plus it’s just not good for me to do, so I’d like to get away from that. I also noticed that SleepEZ carries a shredded latex and noodle latex pillow, but the noodles looked like they were different sizes as opposed to the Cozy Pure version, which seems fairly uniform, so I was unsure how that would affect the performance of the pillow. Would it likely make it firmer? I sleep on my side and back, so I would like something somewhere in the middle firmness, maybe soft with a high loft? As many have noted on here, the search for a pillow almost seems more daunting than a mattress. I feel like I’m more likely to be a bit more picky about pillows. Any words of wisdom? Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Hi scarlett113,

I certainly agree with this and for some people the quest for a level of “perfection” that can only be based on personal experience and very subjective perceptions can also be a costly “hobby”! It’s something like the quest for a “perfect recipe” :slight_smile:

A suitable pillow is an essential part of good alignment for the head and neck and upper body because the gap between the head and the mattress and the curve of the cervical spine needs to be supported just like all other parts of the spine. Like mattresses … there are certain “needs” that depend on body type and sleeping positions but with pillows more than mattresses, personal preferences play a more important role because the face is much more sensitive to textures, temperature, smells, and other more subjective “feel” based properties of a pillow. There is more about choosing pillows in the pillow thread here including a number of links to some additional forum posts and topics that discuss various pillows as well in post #3 in the topic.

In very general terms … a shredded latex pillow that has different sized pieces that includes many smaller pieces would probably feel a little firmer because the pieces will pack together into a smaller space but this would also depend on the specifics of the pieces and the different “feel” may be beneficial or detrimental for different people. General “broad brush” comments may also not be accurate when it comes to the properties of a specific pillow.

I don’t have any personal experience with any of the SleepEZ pillows so other than saying they use good quality materials I can’t really make any meaningful comments about how they would feel to me and of course someone else could also have a different opinion than I do about the “feel” or properties of any specific pillow because each person’s needs and preferences in a pillow can be very different and “feel” is so subjective as well.

I agree with you that choosing a “perfect pillow” can be more difficult and subjective than choosing a mattress.

Phoenix