latex mattress options

thank you thank you for all the information concerning mattress buying. So helpful.
I wondered about Saatva Zenhaven and Costco’s Sleep Science latex mattresses. I did not find either addressed in your list of reputable/knowledgeable vendors. I know you can’t cover all possibilities but I am hoping you might have some experience with these. I had a temperpedic mattress for a long long time but it is worn out finally. I am looking at latex because of its ecofriendly aspects, durability and comfort. Customer service is also key.
Thanks.

Hi encinitasCA,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re quite welcome.

You are correct that neither Costco nor Saatva are site members here, but both of these items have been discussed previously on the forum. You may use the forum search tool (just click here) to search for posts discussing either item.

The Costco Sleep Science 9" Natural Latex mattress uses good quality materials but can be somewhat more costly than other mattresses that use the same materials and have a very similar design (6" Talalay support core under a 3" Talalay comfort layer with a quilted wool cover) that are made by some of the manufacturers that are members of this site and sell latex mattresses online listed in post #21 here . It likely also has a little less wool in the quilting than some of the other online options you have (it needs an inherent fire barrier and doesn’t use just the wool as a fire retardant layer). The fire barrier is likely a viscose / silica (not wool) inherent fabric (see post #2 here ) but there are also other types of inherent fire barriers as well. It also doesn’t have options to rearrange or exchange layers. The latex they use is also likely blended Talalay (30% natural and 70% synthetic latex) and not 100% natural latex, which doesn’t come in the specific ILD’s (19 and 32) that they mention.

The Saatva ZenHaven contains the following layers:
Cover:
Organic cotton circular knit top panel
Comfort Layers:
Gentle Firm Side - 1.5" 5-Zone Natural Talalay (N2 – 20-25 ILD), Luxury Plush Side – 1.5" 5-Zone Natural Talalay (N1 – 14-20 ILD).
Support Layers:
Gentle Firm Side – 3" Natural Talalay (N4 – 30-35 ILD), Luxury Plush Side – 3" Natural Talalay (N3 – 25-30 ILD).
Fire Retardant:
1" layer of natural 100% organic New Zealand wool.

Both of these mattresses would use good quality and durable materials, as I think you’re already aware, as you have a preference for latex.

Phoenix

Thanks so much. I think I can move forward with actually buying the mattress!

Hi encinitasCA,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix

Hi, I finally invested in a Savvy Mattress; REGRETTABLY after only 1.5 years the top soft layer has sagged and Savvy will not replace it or refund my money - this after having me run around in circles for months. So perhaps you can look at other latex mattresses, good luck in your purchase.

Thanks I purchased an Autumn latex mattress, made in Los Angeles. feels pretty comfortable so far (two nights). WE will see in the long term. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. So much money and so much possibility of it not being worth the money.

Hi NH,

Did you mean Savvy Rest or Saatva in your post? Additionally, it would be helpful if you could post more accurate information about your experience instead of “run around in circles”. Posts like yours tend to come across more as attempts to purposely disparage a particular brand or product, as opposed to useful contributions to the forum or requests to solve problems/issues.

Phoenix

Hi encinitasCA,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: I’m glad you’re happy with your purchase, and I’ll be interested in learning more about it once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while longer.

Phoenix

“The Costco Sleep Science 9” Natural Latex mattress uses good quality materials but can be somewhat more costly than other mattresses that use the same materials and have a very similar design (6" Talalay support core under a 3" Talalay comfort layer with a quilted wool cover) that are made by some of the manufacturers that are members of this site and sell latex mattresses online listed in post #21 here . It likely also has a little less wool in the quilting than some of the other online options you have (it needs an inherent fire barrier and doesn’t use just the wool as a fire retardant layer). The fire barrier is likely a viscose / silica (not wool) inherent fabric (see post #2 here ) but there are also other types of inherent fire barriers as well. It also doesn’t have options to rearrange or exchange layers. The latex they use is also likely blended Talalay (30% natural and 70% synthetic latex) and not 100% natural latex, which doesn’t come in the specific ILD’s (19 and 32) that they mention."

Hi Phoenix.
I too am considering purchasing this Costco Latex bed. I called Sleep Science and asked if the latex was 100% natural or if was a blend and they told me 100% natural. That’s not to say the customer service rep was correct necessarily. Is there a way to confirm what they told me over the phone?

Also, I’m not quite clear on what you mean by “doesn’t come in the specific ILD’s (19 and 32) that they mention.”. What doesn’t come in those ILD’s? 100% natural Talalay latex or a synthetic blend? If not, what is the result of that possible misinformation? Is it a statement that needs to be corrected by Costco? What ILD’s does it come in? Thanks so much for this amazing wealth of information!

“The Costco Sleep Science 9” Natural Latex mattress uses good quality materials but can be somewhat more costly than other mattresses that use the same materials and have a very similar design (6" Talalay support core under a 3" Talalay comfort layer with a quilted wool cover) that are made by some of the manufacturers that are members of this site and sell latex mattresses online listed in post #21 here ."

Hi Phoenix, can you please fix the link for post#21? I am very interested to see alternative member manufacturers with similar mattresses. Thanks so much!

I am happy with the mattress after several months but what a hassle I had with returning the adjustable bed. Leggett and Platt Prodigy 2 did not stay close to my bedframe as advertised and left me too far away from the headboard to reach it or the night stand. Neither LP or the store Al Davis Furniture in San Diego wanted to take the bed frame back, even tho it cost $1400 and the remote did not work properly. LP stopped taking my calls and emails. I still believe their advertising that the wall-hugger adjustable bedframe remains close to the headboard and night stands only works if you can move your night stands to where the mattress is when elevated. The store finally agreed to “make an exception” and take the adjustable bedframe back after I agreed to buy a different frame and support AND pay a 20% “restocking fee.” All enough to ruin your sleep! So make sure that you can return something if it does not work for you!!

craz4cakes,

I think this is what you were looking for?

Post #21 here.

I found it previously listed on the forum.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Hey encinitasCA,

I remember providing some information about “Wall Hugger” and “Wall Saver” features previously here on the forum, as consumers seem to be confused as to what this feature actually accomplishes on an adjustable bed base. So this information isn’t necessarily for you, but for others who mistakenly assume an adjustable bed base can place you next to your nightstand.

With features such as this, as the head section is tilted up the power base mechanism as a whole slides a bit toward the head of the bed, and as measured by the travel “backwards” from the center section of the power foundation, this amount of travel is usually in the 6" -10" range, with the maximum amount of travel being reached when the head section it at its maximum inclination. This feature will not put your rear end right up against the wall or next to your nightstand - that is impossible mechanically. It will just keep you a bit closer to your nightstand than something without this “Wall Saver” feature (Leggett describes this feature that as the head section is inclined it will “lift you up while simultaneously gliding you back”). People often visit my store and are curious about this feature, and once I demonstrate what it actually does they have a better understanding of the mechanical limitations of what such a feature can accomplish.

I can’t speak too much to this specific situation as I wasn’t part of this transaction, but Leggett and Platt as the manufacturer would be under no responsibility in such a situation to refund the price of an adjustable bed base because someone’s expectations of the range of motion of their Wall Hugger feature didn’t match what it actually accomplishes. And if the remote was truly defective, they would of course be obligated to replace it, but again that wouldn’t obligate them to refund a purchase price and accept the base back (that would be something between a customer and their retailer). It’s nice that the retailer in this case agreed to allow to exchange the base for something different, even though this wasn’t for a defect but for an expectation of a range of motion of a particular feature. A 10% - 25% restocking fee for something like this is common.

Your advice of checking beforehand regarding any potential exchange/return policies (especially on adjustable bed bases, which aren’t commonly part of exchange/return programs) is good, and something that Phoenix mentions quite often here on the forum to check before making any purchase.

And if you’re shopping locally, especially for an adjustable bed base, I’ll add that you should definitely take it for a “test drive” and try out all of the different features to see if they meet with your needs, or are in fact even necessary for your specific situation.

Hopefully this information helps other people curious about “Wall Hugger” and “Wall Saver” features in adjustable beds.

Thank you Jeff. Good information. I specifically asked about what the wall-hugger feature meant and read the advertisements and felt assured that the bed would keep me near the night stands and headboard. IT did not. If it had actually moved 6-10inches it might have worked but it moved about 3 inches so again I believe the bed did not function as advertised. So good to have more accurate information about what it can/cannot do. And to know more about the policies; most of the stores talked about a trial period in which you could return even the mattresses and never a mention of restocking fees so I appreciate your information. Thanks for sharing.
Linda
sadder but wiser consumer

Here’s a nice little video comparing a “Wall Hugger” power base to one that does not have such an option for those who are unfamiliar with this feature. I believe at full inclination the Prodigy 2.0 has around 9" or so of backward movement of the center section when I last checked, but for some reason I can’t find those notes to give an exact number.

This video shows exactly what I was expecting. My bed never moved that far forward when the head went up. I was very clear at the time I bought it that this was what I needed. So something was wrong with my particular bed. IT did not move more than a few inches forward and left a gap of 12 inches at the headboard. Not acceptable when the advertising and discussion at the store said it would move forward like this video shows. That is what I wanted and expected. Thanks for sharing this. It just reinforces that my bed was defective and that neither the LP or the store would deal with the problem. They never sent anyone to check on the functioning of the frame.

if you have a deep tall night table …maybe LOL I have the L&P and before I bought it i tried a Reverie and a beauty rest at a store. None had/have me close to being near the nightstand. I was disappointed initially but am overall happy now with the L&P …i should add a disclaimer…happy for now ha ha