Latex Mattress Purchase in Richmond, VA (Original Mattress Factory & CozyPure)

I am looking to purchase a new mattress in the upcoming months and found this wonderful website. Both my wife and I recently have been suffering with back pains and would like to try out a latex mattress. I have tried to read as much information as possible on this website, but there is so much to read and learn. I found the threads on this forum that talk about the latex mattresses sold by Original Mattress Factory (OMF) and CozyPure. I would love to purchase a King size latex mattress from CozyPure but it is out of my price range. I would like to know from a quality, flexibility, and value point of view your opinions on OMG. Additionally is there another factory direct or retail outlet locally that you would recommend that has a price point between the OMG and CozyPure latex mattresses

Hi pglover19,

The first place I would start (in case you haven’t read it already) is post #1 here and the information it links to. This will arm you with the basic information you will need to make some great choices and is probably the single most important post on the forum. After you have read this information you will be in a much better position to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on materials in the mattress and on the many differences you will find between the options available at different retailers and manufacturers.

Once you have read this … the next step is to identify some of the better local options and choices in your area so you can begin to test mattresses and the different materials that they use. The better options I’m aware of in the Richmond, VA area (including OMF) are listed in post #5 here.

I do think that the OMF latex mattresses use good quality materials and have good value as well but only you can decide based on personal testing how well any one of their mattresses matches your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, posture and alignment, and personal preferences) which is just as important as the quality and value of a mattress. Some of the things that may help you make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and different retailers (outside of just the type and quality of the materials) are listed in post #46 here.

If your local testing indicates there are few good local options available to you in terms of quality, value, or suitability … then there are also some great online options available to you that are linked in the post I mentioned earlier.

Phoenix

Thanks for asking my questions…

As far as online options, there is a lot of talk on this forum about the Ultimate Dreams latex mattresses by Brooklyn Bedding/Dreamfoam Bedding. From a quality and value point of view, how does these latex mattresses compare to the OMF latex mattresses.

One more question…

Can you comment on the quality and value of the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress sold on Amazon. This seems like a great deal for a great mattress.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Hi pglover,

Dreamfoam is one of the manufacturers that I invited to become a member of the site which means that I consider them to be among the best quality and value in the country.

The value of any mattress depends on what is in the mattress and which mattresses you are comparing them to as well as its suitability for the needs and preferences of each person and all the other parts of a mattress purchase that are more or less important to each person including the benefits of dealing with a particular retailer or manufacturer and their own “personal value equation”. From a commodity perspective though, they use much better quality materials than are normally found in their price range and would be similar to (or better than) mattresses made by mainstream manufacturers that in many cases sell for well over twice the price.

Phoenix

Great information so far…

I am trying to compare the three Dreamfoam Bedding latex mattresses sold on Amazon as it relates to the specs on the Support/Base layer, comfort layer, and quilted layer. Can you help me do that please.

Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Queen/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359887287&sr=1-1&keywords=Ultimate+Dreams

Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Queen-Eurotop-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YC2/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359887287&sr=1-4&keywords=Ultimate+Dreams

Ultimate Dreams Total Latex Mattress
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Total-Latex-Mattress/dp/B00AAL0HNY/ref=sr_1_10?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1359887287&sr=1-10&keywords=Ultimate+Dreams

One additional comment about the Ultimate Dreams Total Latex Mattress from Dreamfoam. In comparing this all latex mattress to the all latex mattress on the Cozypure website, it looks like the comparable model on their website is around $3400 for a King size. Below is the model I was comparing it to. Can you do the comparison as well and post the specs for both to make sure I am comparing apples to apples…

Pure Performance Perfection Natural Latex Organic Mattress Progressive Support Zoned 6" Core + 3" Medium + 1.5" Soft

https://www.cozypure.com/latex-mattresses/pure-performance-perfection-natural-latex-organic-mattress-progressive-support-zoned-6-core-3-medium-1.5-soft

Hi pglover,

Unfortunately there isn’t a formula that can choose a mattress based on specs alone. There are just too many variables to be able to do this for any specific person.

When you are choosing a mattress online … one of the most important parts of 'value" is your confidence in how well it will match your needs and preferences. Regardless of the initial “commodity value” of a mattress … the most important part of value is how well you sleep on it over the years. When you are looking back at a mattress purchase 5 or 10 years down the road … the quality of your sleep will be much more important to you than just the price you paid for the mattress. Of course the “commodity value” is an important part of any purchase but it’s only part of the picture.

If you are looking at an online purchase … I would include several factors in your evaluations so that you can determine the “range” of prices that the purchase may end up costing you.

The first of these is the best case and the bottom of the range which of course is what will this cost me if the mattress turns out to be perfect the first time.

I would also calculate the cost of the options I would have if I made the wrong comfort choice and the mattress doesn’t initially match my needs and preferences. Depending on the merchant and the options they offer this could involve a layer exchange, a mattress exchange, an additional purchase of a topper or other components, or in the worst case the return of the mattress itself if there is a refund policy or selling the mattress and starting all over again if there is no refund policy. Of course all of these are not options with every purchase so you would need to include the cost of a “mistake” that is specific to each merchant with any online purchase and factor that into your price range, expectations, and your risk tolerance. I would at least factor in the cost of making some kind of adjustment as part of the price range that the purchase may end up costing you and to evaluate any risk involved with the purchase. The more local testing you do on mattresses that are similar to the online purchase you are considering the more likely it is that you will make the most suitable initial choice. All of this is part of value.

As you can see from post #46 here as well … value has many other components besides just the raw material cost of a mattress and in many cases this can also be difficult to assess because while it may be easier to evaluate the relative value of any foam materials in a mattress if you know the details of the material … the foam alone is not the entire mattress and the ticking and quilting as well as the benefits of working with a particular retailer or manufacturer can also be a significant part of the cost and value of a mattress and this is more difficult to compare. Post #4 here along with post #2 here would also be well worth reading.

In terms of your comparisons between the Dreamfoam options … post #2 here has my thoughts about an all latex mattress (such as their Total Latex mattress) vs a polyfoam/latex hybrid (such as the Ultra Plush or the Eurotop). Post #2 here has more about the benefits and advantages of the Eurotop with the exchangeable layer vs the Ultimate Dreams Ultra plush. The goal is to know the advantages and disadvantages of each so each person can decide which best meets their personal value equation and risk tolerance.

The Cozypure mattresses use exceptionally high quality materials and components and Cheryl pays strict attention to every component down to the type of thread they use. Some of their components (such as the Lanoodle topper) are unique and there is little to compare them to in practical terms. From a commodity perspective alone they my not in the same value range as other choices but the the “value” of Cozy Pure is just as much in the many other benefits they offer (see post #11 here) which may be an even more important part of someone’s value equation besides just the commodity value of a mattress or component itself. Like the other members here … they are among the “best or the best” but their value" would be more attractive to consumers that measured value in different ways than just price alone.

As you can see … once you are down to final choices and have eliminated all the worst choices … my role is always to help people decide “how” to choose based on their own personal value equation (no matter how they may define it) … rather than tell them “what” to choose. Value is always relative to what is most important to each person.

It’s always great when your final choices are all good ones and strictly a matter of personal preferences and when no matter which direction you choose it would be difficult to make a “bad” choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix