Latex Mattress Question

I am searching for a new mattress and have been looking at the latex models. I have slept on inner springs for years and don’t want to go down that path again.

I am having a hard time understanding how the individual layers don’t “buckle” with movement. Can you feel the joining seams of the layers?
Thanks,

Monte

Hi Monte,

Latex is very “sticky” and layers don’t slide over each other as much as “smoother” foams. Of course there is always the option to glue the layers together but with latex this is much less necessary and has the disadvantage that you can’t easily replace the layers.

So the stickiness along with the elasticity of latex means that it doesn’t really “buckle” and acts more like a single layer. If latex was less elastic or less sticky then the top layer would indeed tend to buckle more (the outer edges would pull into the middle) and then it would be wise to glue the layers. Unglued layers will be a little softer than glued layers just like a topper will be a little softer than a similar layer that was in the top layer of a mattress but inside the mattress ticking. The mattress ticking (cover) also helps to keep them all together.

As long as the top layer is thick enough so that by the time you sink into the layer below it has become firmer and somewhat “matches” the firmer layer underneath it (foam gets firmer as it compresses more) then you won’t feel the layer below it and it will just be a gradual transition. If the top layer is too thin and soft and has a much firmer layer below it then you may feel the firmness or “transition” into the layer below it but this would be because of the difference in the firmness of the foams in combination with the thinness of the top layer not because the layers were loose or “buckling”.

Even when a mattress has a top layer that is cut in half and uses a different firmness of foam on each side of the mattress (to accommodate differences in a couple) you still won’t feel the “cut” because of the natural elasticity of the latex even though you would of course notice the difference in firmness on each side.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Makes sense. The Custom Sleep Design store has 6", 3", and 2" layers. Do you understand their need for measurements if you cannot make the same piece of foam have different ILD ratings. Why do they need the measurements of the shoulders and hips if it is the same ILD for the single foam piece?

Do you know of any manufactures in the Atlanta area?

Monte

Hi Monte,

Yes, I have talked with them at length about their mattress design and the theories and practice behind it. Each of the top two layers are zoned with separate ILD’s of softer foam in the upper roughly 1/3 area (under the shoulders) and with firmer foam in the remaining lower area (under the hips). Both the 2" layer and the 3" layer have separate zoning with the middle layer being firmer than the upper layer (although not as firm as the bottom 6"). In addition to this … the place where the two layers are cut allows the firmer foam in the lower part of the 2" layer to overlap the softer part of the 3" layer by a couple of inches so there is about 2" of gentle slightly firmer support in the arch of the back. The cut lines and the ILD’s are chosen according to each persons unique measurements, weight, sleeping positions, and preferences so that they are custom designed for each individual. They also offer layer exchanges for each “part” if it isn’t perfect in actual use.

If you look at the example on their front page (lower right and click on larger view) … you’ll see the different sections which can be customized (each color is a different piece and ILD of Talalay latex). The exact size and ILD of the pieces are chosen for each individual.

While they are a premium mattress with a higher than “normal” price if you only go by the amount of latex … they are also unique and exceptionally “accurate” because of the individual and unique zoning and design of each mattress.

Regarding the Atlanta area … Post #2 and #6 in this thread should be helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Is Custom Sleep Design 100% latex or blended? I know the differences, but don’t know how they affect my comfort.

Monte

Hi Monte,

Both natural and synthetic rubber is equally “latex”. Dunlop in both natural and blended is also latex. The difference is that the all natural uses only natural latex (NR) and the blend uses a blend of natural and synthetic (SBR) latex.

Their standard version would use blended Talalay latex. Since they also have access to both types of Talalay latex material, I imagine that they could also include the all natural Talalay rather than the blended Talalay as a special order but the cost would be higher and the choices of ILD (softness/firmness) would be less because all natural latex doesn’t come in the same variety of firmness levels. Blended Talalay is also a more consistent material and in the lower ILD’s is more durable than the all natural version (and has a shorter warranty).

The difference in feel between them is very little and most people wouldn’t know which they were laying on. Both can satisfy someone’s pressure relief and alignment needs (elements of comfort) although again the blended would allow for more options in the layering of the mattress (could be more customized) than the all natural.

Hope this helps …

Phoenix

May i suggest checking this website for latex mattress information if you haven’t already. Watch all videos on the page. I think it would be very helpful to you and answer a lot of you concerns. www.HabitatFurnishings.com I hope this help in making your final decision.

Hi Mattress Seeker,

While Habitat makes some nice latex mattresses, they are certainly not the best value compared to many other online choices including several of the factory direct manufacturers of this site (and many others) which sell factory direct. They have been mentioned in several forum posts including post #4 here and post #2 here

They are nice enough but in terms of value, they don’t compete very well with most of the better online options or many local manufacturers.

Phoenix