Latex Mattress Recommendations

First, thank you for such an informative site with knowledgeable people that can steer people into the right product in an un-biased fashion :slight_smile:

After research and reading many of the articles/guides on this site, I’ve decided I want an all latex mattress, with 100% natural Dunlop support layer and Blended Talalay comfort layer(s).

I’m 6’ and weigh 220 lbs (am in the process of losing weight though, my ideal weight will be around 180-190 lbs). I’m a majority side sleeper, however occasionally (rarely) sleep on my back. I also have fairly broad shoulders. My girlfriend is perhaps 5’7" and weighs like 110-120 lbs, and sleeps a mix of on her side as well as on her back. She has curvy hips.

Knowing this, was looking for recommendations for the mix of different firmness for the different latex layers.

I live in Minneapolis/St Paul MN, and it would appear for all-Latex my only real options locally would be Mossenvy, Roomandboard, PMbedroomgallery or North Star Mattress. Additionally I will look online and compare overall cost with both mattress and foundation using the list of recommended online retailers you posted elsewhere in this forum (preliminary glance it would appear Sleepez.com would be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper, i.e. $2000 less, than Mossenvy for example).

I plan on going into some of the local stores above to try some different combinations to get a feel, but was looking for some base guidance as to what density I should be looking for in each layer. It would be helpful using Sleepez.com as a baseline and recommending what I’d likely want to consider (I also plan on calling them to get their perspective on recommendations, but wanted to get your input from experience etc). I’d likely consider either their 9", 10" or 13" model (price isn’t much of a consideration at this point).

What standard/base configuration would you likely recommend as a baseline given the info above for weight and sleeping position? This would really help me to have an idea what I should be looking for as I go try out different mattresses. Thanks again for all your help!

Hi bobby2478,

You may already know this based on your research but I would treat the choice between different types of latex in either comfort or support layers as a preference choice based on your own actual testing or experience and preferences between the properties of each type of latex rather than as a “better/worse” choice based on “theory”. Once certainly isn’t “better” than the other unless you actually prefer it. There is more about the differences between Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here.

[quote]Knowing this, was looking for recommendations for the mix of different firmness for the different latex layers.

I plan on going into some of the local stores above to try some different combinations to get a feel, but was looking for some base guidance as to what density I should be looking for in each layer. It would be helpful using Sleepez.com as a baseline and recommending what I’d likely want to consider (I also plan on calling them to get their perspective on recommendations, but wanted to get your input from experience etc). I’d likely consider either their 9", 10" or 13" model (price isn’t much of a consideration at this point).

What standard/base configuration would you likely recommend as a baseline given the info above for weight and sleeping position? This would really help me to have an idea what I should be looking for as I go try out different mattresses. Thanks again for all your help! [/quote]

Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to make specific recommendations or suggest a specific mattress or combination of layers based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Local testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) is generally the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) but if you can’t test a mattress in person then the best source of more “personalized” guidance will always be a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer who can help “talk you through” the options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done (assuming you know the specifics of the design which may not always be possible to find out), and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you because they will know more about their own mattresses and “matching” the options they have available to different body types and sleeping styles and individual circumstances based on the information you provide them and the “averages” of their customers than anyone else.

There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress or layer combination (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks involved in each of them in post #2 here.

There is also more about the pros and cons of thicker layers and mattresses in post #14 here. You aren’t in a weight range that would “need” more than 9" of latex but you may decide that you prefer it.

It sounds like you’ve seen this but just in case you haven’t the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Minneapolis / St Paul area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here. I would also include DIYnaturalbedding in your research if they are in reasonable driving distance. There are certainly many options available that are a similar design to Savvy Rest that are in significantly lower budget ranges but of course the pros and cons of price vs dealing with a local store is part of each person’s personal value equation.

Phoenix