Latex mattress search update and ? about IKEA

I think I just got myself lost in hyperlinks. I am looking for the most recent reviews on the IKEA latex mattresses. We tried a natural blend over an HR foam core 2.2 lb/cu.ft. (Myrbacka) and a synthetic (Matrand) over poly foam 1.7 lb/cu.ft. They didn’t have the all natural blend (Morgongava) in store. The Matrand has a simple foam topper on it.

We went today to De Mattress in Miami and tried a 9" dunlop mattress. They say it’s processed at their own plantation in India. It was three layers, glued together. The sales woman said it was 65/75/85 and if they were to use Talalay numbers it would be 32/34/36. Does this make sense? I found it to be bouncy and when I sat up I didn’t sink as much as I do on memory foam but I still sank down.

They said they could make up the layers without glue and though they will work with a customer to ensure comfort they don’t allow for swapping out layers. All sales final. She recommended glue to prevent the layers from ripping. Is this standard? I know Savvy lets you swap out layers and I didn’t think they glued.

For a queen the cost was $900 and for a king $1600 - the large price gap was attributed to needing a third man for delivery?

We weren’t able to try other configurations but it might have been for the best. When we got in the car my eyes and throat were itching. It could have been from anything but it was unsettling, nonetheless.

Hi JoD,

I would be very cautious about using the reviews of other people as a basis for deciding which mattress is best for you. A mattress that is perfect for some people in terms of PPP may be completely unsuitable for others to sleep on (see post #13 here about reviews).

A forum search on Myrbacka and on Matrand (you can just click the links) will bring up more information about both of them (and some pictures as well) but I don’t know if anyone on the forum has actually purchased either one since they are fairly new.

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP and this can be very different for each person. Regardless of the cost or quality of a mattress … if a mattress isn’t a good match for you and you don’t sleep well on it then it would have little value to you regardless of how well any other person or group of people may sleep on it. When you are looking at a local mattress then careful and objective testing is the most reliable way to assess this.

Outside of the suitability of a mattress … the quality and durability of the materials are the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase. If a mattress is “perfect” at first but uses lower quality materials that can soften, break down, or compress too quickly relative to the price you paid and you lose the comfort and support that was the reason you bought it in the first place then it would also have little value to you. Don’t forget that the loss of comfort and/or support is the main reason that you will need to replace a mattress and this isn’t covered by warranties (which only cover manufacturing defects). In the case of latex I would want to confirm the type and blend of the latex (unlike polyfoam or memory foam where the density is the most important “quality” spec).

Other than suitability and durability … then the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and any exchange or return policies) are also important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase but many of these are also preferences which may be unique to you.

I have a difficult time believing the DeMattress owns their own plantation in India.

You can see an example of Dunlop density numbers relative to their ILD in post #2 here but Dunlop ILD’s don’t directly compare to Talalay ILD’s anyway (see post #6 here) and there are also many other specifications of a mattress that will have just as big an effect on how it feels and performs as ILD (see post #2 here). Your own testing and experience on a mattress in terms of PPP is always more important than knowing the ILD’s of all the layers. Your body will tell you more than any specifications about the suitability of a mattress. As you discovered … latex is much more resilient than memory foam (see post #2 here for more about how they compare) but the choice between them is a preference choice.

That depends on the design of the mattress and on whether you can access the layers. You can see more of the pros and cons of glued vs unglued layers and when each one may be a better choice than the other in post #2 here and post #15 here. The ability to customize a mattress after a purchase may also be an important part of your personal value equation but this will also depend on your confidence that the mattress is “ideal” for you in terms of PPP.

The big difference in price ($700 or over 75%) seems too much to me as well and doesn’t make a lot of sense if they are the same mattress with the same materials and design. A more typical difference between a king and queen size would be more in the range of about 15% to 25% and perhaps a little extra for delivery.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for such a speedy reply.

We are searching for both a guest room and master bedroom - obviously more concerned about longevity of master bed than guest room which won’t get constant use. Also looking at innerspring for the guest room but it’s just another can of worms.

Thank you again. This forum is so helpful.