Latex Mattress Shopping. Should I be this stressed?

Hi All!

First, thank you everyone for all of the feedback, reviews, input, etc. This forum is super helpful for those of us shopping. After 3 years on my Costco NovaForm memory foam mattress, I have decided to upgrade. It sleeps hot, and I had to add a gel cover to mask the deformations in the mattress.

I’m 5’9 180 lbs and my girlfriend is 5"4 110 lbs so I’m thinking a split mattress may be best due to the difference in body types. We both sleep on our sides/back and like soft mattresses, but I definitely don’t like to be 100% enveloped like a blob movie. She sleeps very cold, and I sleep very hot. “Match made in heaven”

Why Latex: I love the flexibility of re-arranging the layers. I can’t imagine spending several thousand dollars on a mattress and then hating it. I also like that my girlfriend doesn’t have to conform to what I feel is comfortable. I was looking at sleep number, but I’m not a big fan of moving parts and things to break. KISS. I love the durability of the latex, and I like the natural build.

Now for the question. What companies should I be looking at? I want 100% natural, and 100% Talalay. I’m also interested in a good return policy on switching out layers. Foam sweet foam is a short drive away so I will probably check them out today. 13" or 16"? SleepEz sems to have a good reputation here. Do they have a comparable mattress? Savvy rest seems to have a great product, and I checked out a mattress yesterday, but they weren’t able to adjust the mattress for me. Any others?

Thank you!

David

Hi Littlehouse,

Probably not :slight_smile:

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would keep in mind that Foam Sweet Foam no longer has a local showroom where you can test their mattresses in person and they are only sold online.

If you are looking at online mattresses then the tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell component mattresses online and many of them (including SleepEZ and Foam Sweet Foam) sell mattresses that have a similar design and use the same or very similar materials, components, and types and blends of latex as the Savvy Rest mattresses. There is more about how Savvy Rest compares to SleepEz in post #4 here and a forum search on Savvy Rest SleepEZ (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention both of them as well.

Foam Sweet Foam provides a choice between certified organic Dunlop and 100% natural Talalay similar to Savvy Rest as well (the Dunlop in SleepEZ mattresses is 100% natural but isn’t certified organic like Foam Sweet foam or Savvy Rest).

There is also a list that includes many of the component latex mattresses that are available online in post #3 here that may be helpful and if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

I would always keep in mind that the only reliable way to know for certain whether any mattress or combination of materials will be a good “match” for you in terms of “feel”, “comfort”, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will also know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the reply and links. All were a very good read, and very informative.
Step 1: Completed by reading the links provided.
Step 2: Budget range is anywhere between $4-$6k. I’d like to stay on the low side in order to get an adjustable base in the future, but that’s another rabbit hole I don’t want to go down right now. Material is definitely Latex as it hits all of the high points for me.
Step 3: I will be calling SleepEz, Foam sweet Foam, and anyone else I can identify for info. I went to Ergobeds in Newport and Laguna Niguel, and they weren’t very much help when asking about the Savvy rest they had there.
Step 4: I’ve tried the Savvy rest, but it wasn’t arranged as I would like. Unfortunately, I’m not sure if I will be able to try the mattress I would like to buy before purchase. After a quick chat with the person from Foam Sweet Foam, he told me to visit Living Spaces to see if they had a latex mattress to lay on. I honestly don’t think it would be comparable so that was kind of a weird suggestion.
Step 5: TBD, but i’d like to make a decision this weekend. There are some pretty decent sales, and I’m fed up with my old mattress.

We actually called for directions as we were driving over and found out that FSF had no showroom. Our area code is 92604 so it wasn’t too far, but the lack of a showroom definitely brought more competition into the picture for them. It’s understandable though.

Do you have any suggestions on where to visit in the area? If I can’t try the mattress, then it opens up the discussion to other online retailers. Is the list you linked all inclusive? What mattress do you have, and why? Will 3 layers be enough, or should I start adding more? So many questions, but I really appreciate you taking the time for all of us.

Edit: Does SleepEZ not have 100% natural Talalay? It’s not listed, but something I wanted.

David

Hi Littlehouse,

I would keep in mind that the better manufacturers and retailers don’t generally “negotiate” (see post #6 here) or have “fake sales” with large discounts based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here). While they may have sales with smaller discounts … I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have “major holiday sales” as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses don’t need to negotiate or have “fake sales” with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very reasonable.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Greater Los Angeles region (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

It certainly doesn’t include every online latex option no … just many of the better ones I’m aware of.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because again … a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person (including me) or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on even if they are in a similar weight range or have similar sleeping positions (see post #13 here).

Having said that … you can see the details of my mattress in post #4 here.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). It can sometimes be very surprising which type of mattress someone does best with in “real life” vs “theory” even if their body type, sleeping style, health conditions, circumstances, or preferences appear on the surface to be similar to someone else.

This would depend entirely on which combination of layers your testing indicated was the best “match” for you in terms of PPP. Some 3 layer or 4 layer combinations may work well for you and some may not. There is more about the pros and cons of a thicker mattress in post #14 here and having more layers in post #2 here but when you can’t test a mattress in person then they will be your best source of guidance about which of their many options would have the best odds of success.

Their website lists 100% natural Talalay as one of the options in their Organic Select line and you can choose one of 4 firmness levels for each layer.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress relative to your weight that you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Phoenix