Latex - mattress thickness matters?

Hello! I’d like to know what everyone thinks about the overall thickness of a latex mattress. I have seen from about 7" up to around 14". And, I’ve heard differing opinions on how much it matters depending on who I talk to.

I am only interested in an all latex mattress.
I am 5’5" and weigh 128
Hubby is 5’10" and weighs 160

I am not quite sure exactly what I want to know - I guess I just want to know if it is important to get a thicker mattress? Will thickness effect comfort and/or durability? Or are these things all dependent on ILD and the layers? Does it really matter at all?

thanks!

My experience with natural latex is with it in 3" layers.

We’ve found that if your goal is simply to not feel the slats or supporting board underneath you then,
3" is generally sufficient around to 100 lbs.
6" keeps you from feeling the slats until about 200 lbs.
9" will last you until shortly before 300lbs.

Adults who want extra comfort may choose 9" of latex over 6" just because it does provide a plush feel.

Latex cores are typically molded in 5.5" or 6" layers, so when you see a mattress sold in only for 11" or 12" options, know that they are selling those heights primarily because they don’t want to cut their core in half and not necessarily because they suggest those are the only comfortable depths of natural latex.

Hi lesibly,

All the different factors in a mattress’ design will make a difference and they all work together to provide what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). These include the type of material (or latex), the ILD of each layer, the thickness of each layer, and the type of cover that it uses among others (see post #2 here). All of these work together and every layer will have an effect on how all the other layers and components in a mattress interact together and with each individual person.

There is more information in post #14 here about the effect of layer thickness and the thickness of a latex mattress.

If you can’t test a mattress in person then your best odds of choosing the most appropriate layer combinations are with a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer who will know more about the specific mattresses they sell and how all their layers and components interact with different body types, sleeping styles, and personal preferences than anyone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

In the end … the thickness or layering and design of a latex mattress or the options available before or after a purchase that is “best” for any particular person is the one that is the best “match” for them in terms of PPP and their personal value equation.

Phoenix

Thank you diynaturalbedding and Phoenix for your replies.

I have read much about PPP. Thank you for the link to post #14 as that was very helpful.

I tried out some PLB and OMI mattresses today… just narrowing it down and trying to figure out what I like best and then I plan on ordering from mattresses.com. Just got to get hubby out there for one more test and I think we’re good to go!

Hi lesibly,

It’s always a good idea that couples test a mattress together and that your testing is as close as possible to your actual sleeping conditions because having 2 people on a mattress can be a different experience from having only one.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up with :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Good point! I hadn’t thought of that. I guess we will have to go together :slight_smile:

I have 6" of Latex but it is on top of 7.5" of firm poly-foam (Aloe Alexis). I am about 6’ and 215 lbs. I cannot feel anything but sweet latex pushing up against the entire length of my body.

I did try my son’s Memory foam which is 2.5" on top of 7.5" of poly-foam, it is certainly isn’t thick but I can’t really tell if I am going all the way through. Maybe if I spent more time on it I could tell but I have an Aloe Alexis (Latex) and hate to sleep on anything else.
In my opinion: “When in doubt go with more latex!”

@jefmoody - I have a aloe alexis on its way and about your size, what level did you go with?