Latex Mattress Thinkness

Phoenix,

I read in one of your posts that a 8"-9" Latex mattress is OK, but 11"-12" is better. I am looking at the Arizona Mattress adjustable king mattress, but it is only 8" of latex (6"base, 2"topper) there is an upgrade to a 3" topper,which I am considering. As you know, Ken will make the mattress as thick as I would like. I am thinking about getting the 6" base/2" topper in the mattress, and putting an additional 3" topper on top of the mattress(not inside the mattress) That would get me to 11" inches. Is that something you would recommend, or do you suggest putting it all actually in the mattress? Or neither?

If i were to get the 8" latex mattress and put a 3"topper, do you think the mattress would be too soft? Would you recommend to have a higher ILD for the topper inside the mattress.

I am also considering the 3" GL slow response inside the mattress cover, and a 2" talalay topper?

Sorry I am so scatterbrained…I hope you can follow what I am saying. Any thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated.

Hi bwomp,

I’m not sure where you read this but it certainly isn’t what I believe. As a matter of fact … I believe that for most people more than 8" - 9" is not necessary at all (and in some cases even less may be fine as well). There may be times or certain circumstances where thicker is desirable for various reasons but this wouldn’t be the case for the most part.

If you can link to where you read this I can edit it if it seems to imply that this is what I think (outside of the specific circumstances where a thicker mattress may be desirable).

There are many factors that are part of the design and layering of a mattress and if I was working with a manufacturer with as much knowledge and experience as Ken at Arizona Premium I would put a lot of weight on their suggestions based on all the factors that go into a mattress design that may be best for you. They are the experts in their specific designs and options and which of the options they offer may work best for you should be based on a more extended conversation with them that includes all the information you would need to provide them in a more detailed conversation and your experience with any local testing you have done that can help them help you more effectively.

I would tend to suggest using either materials that you are familiar with and have tested or at least materials where you have a high level of confidence (based on other peoples experiences and perceptions) that you will like the way it feels and performs in your mattress. Of course that’s my own preferences and part of my own personal “risk tolerance” when it comes to mattresses and some people may be happy to take risks that I wouldn’t. An alternative to this would be to make sure you had the ability to exchange it if necessary at a reasonable cost.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=12271]Hi bwomp,

I’m not sure where you read this but it certainly isn’t what I believe. As a matter of fact … I believe that for most people more than 8" - 9" is not necessary at all (and in some cases even less may be fine as well). There may be times or certain circumstances where thicker is desirable for various reasons but this wouldn’t be the case for the most part.

If you can link to where you read this I can edit it if it seems to imply that this is what I think (outside of the specific circumstances where a thicker mattress may be desirable).

There are many factors that are part of the design and layering of a mattress and if I was working with a manufacturer with as much knowledge and experience as Ken at Arizona Premium I would put a lot of weight on their suggestions based on all the factors that go into a mattress design that may be best for you. They are the experts in their specific designs and options and which of the options they offer may work best for you should be based on a more extended conversation with them that includes all the information you would need to provide them in a more detailed conversation and your experience with any local testing you have done that can help them help you more effectively.

I would tend to suggest using either materials that you are familiar with and have tested or at least materials where you have a high level of confidence (based on other peoples experiences and perceptions) that you will like the way it feels and performs in your mattress. Of course that’s my own preferences and part of my own personal “risk tolerance” when it comes to mattresses and some people may be happy to take risks that I wouldn’t. An alternative to this would be to make sure you had the ability to exchange it if necessary at a reasonable cost.

Hope this helps

Phoenix[/quote]

Dollar for dollar though, if you have a chance to buy a 12" talalay for $2,700 and a 8" talalay for the $2,700 is one actually better. I posed this question today to a store and they said that there are only two manufacturers of Talalay in the world one in CT and one in Holland. He says that these are the best Talalays in the world other manufacturers don’t compare or sell inferior latex. Having said that, he said that the 8" inch is better if it is higher quality talalay?

What are your thoughts?

Hi yianni54,

If the latex in both mattresses was exactly the same type then from a strictly commodity point of view (and excluding any other components such as the ticking or quilting that may have a significant effect on the cost of the mattress) one would have better “value” than the other yes.

The value of a mattress is not just it’s “commodity value” however so from a suitability point of view … the one that provided you with the best PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) would be the better mattress … for you. This would be based on the design and layering of the mattress and not just the type or amount of materials.

No matter what the quality or “commodity value” of a mattress … if it doesn’t match your needs and preferences it would have little value to you.

Of course I would prefer a mattress with higher commodity value and this would certainly be part of most people’s “value equation” … but it is only a piece of the picture … not all of it.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I was refering to

“While you would probably be “OK” with 8 - 9” of latex… the odds are that you would probably be better off with a mattress that was more in the range of 11" to 12" of latex. As to the specific layering … I would work with each individual manufacturer for their specific suggestions based on their experience with their own design and the components they use. As I mentioned in the linked posts as well … I would also tend towards blended Talalay (which in softer ILD’s is more durable than 100% natural as well as lower priced) or 100% natural Dunlop (which is more supportive than Talalay in the same ILD because it gets firmer faster with deeper compression) unless there was a particularly compelling reason for you to choose otherwise based on your own personal preferences and experience."

from this thread.

Hi bwomp,

The post was part of a discussion with someone who was significantly heavier than the norm (6’ 3" and 300 lbs) and a side sleeper. In some cases (depending on sleeping positions and preferences etc) they may do better with a thicker layering with appropriate firmness levels of the latex layers.

What is most appropriate for one body type and sleeping style may not be appropriate at all for someone different … or even for the majority of people.

Phoenix

Got ya. Thanks for the clarification. Is came up in a search and caught my eye…i didnt read the thread from the beginning…oops.

hi bwomp,

No problem … glad I could clarify it :slight_smile:

Phoenix