Latex mattress topper question, again…..soft, medium or firm?

I recently posted asking whether I should order a 2" or 3" latex topper (to go over an older
, now too firm, latex mattress.) A 3" was recommended as i am a side sleeper.

I forgot to ask about which firmness choice I should make….Soft, Medium, or Firm?

I’m buying this mattress topper because I have started to have morning backaches after sleeping on my 10-year-old latex mattress.
Lately I’m also noticing some shoulder discomfort when i first get up, which I assume is also caused by the too-firm mattress.

Any other advice or suggestions most welcome.

Happy

hmmmm, this can be tricky because even if the topper is labeled “soft, medium or firm” there can be variability from one to another, manufacturer to manufacturer etc.
try to read reviews on the actual topper you are planning to buy, see what previous buyers say about actual firmness feel (although opinions can vary )
the ideal is if you can either try it out in a store, lay down for 20-30 mins and see what you think. Or, buy one that is returnable with some sort of warranty/ return program (less common these days!)
I would say that, since you are finding the mattress itself too firm, if the topper is also on the firm side then you may have the same complaint still, the whole thing feeling too firm. So maybe that means opt for the soft or medium?

No chance of trying out a topper in the store, not around here. But of course i can order online and i see most are returnable, but i hate to do that because i know the online store has to just throw it away and they lose money.

But that seems to be my only option, and Amazon have a good selection.

Do you know which brand would likely be the best quality latex? I hear good things about Sleep On Latex, good reviews anyway.

I do wish i could go to a store and actually lie down on a few. The stores here, even if they stocked them, none have latex, just memory foam. I’d just buy a new mattress but none of the stores here have anything but very thick mattresses that wouldn’t work with our adjustable bed, which i use for a couple of hours every day.

So a topper seems like the only solution. I’ll probably just take the previous suggestion and order a soft 3" latex topper, and hope it works out.

Thanks for your response.

Happy

Thanks for your

Hi HappyHunter,

Sorry to hear of your backaches and shoulder discomfort on your old mattress. The firmness level on a mattress topper is a matter of personal preference, depending on your stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) and your PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).
As you are a side sleeper with backaches and shoulder pain, this could be caused by the latex being not firm enough, or, as you say, too firm. As with a mattress, the comfort level of any topper would be specific and unique to you. since you have not given your stats, any suggestion would be guessing…the best option would be to try a latex topper in person to see how each firmness level feels, though you would likely need a ‘break in’ period to see if it relieves your pain. You can also reach out to any of the Trusted Members of the site, many of who carry latex toppers; if you can provide them a little information and what you are looking to achieve they can match you with a suitable latex topper

You can read a recent Phoenix discussion on toppers inpost #2 here and also this post with a consumer with back pain discussing toppers with member Latex Mattress Factory which may be a good starting point for you, as they are very experienced in matching consumers with quality latex offerings.

Hope this helps,

Basilio

Thanks for your response and the information you posted.

I have decided to go with the medium firm latex topper and hope it helps with my morning backaches.
I will post again when i’ve used it for a few days.

Happy