Latex mattress topper suggestions?

I got fed up with mattress shopping last year and bought an extremely firm innerspring mattress at a reasonable price that is uncomfortable to sleep on, hoping to get a mattress topper that would make it comfortable. I have tried a variety of mattress toppers and returned them all. Can anyone help me out with suggestions for why I should try next?

I am 190 lbs. and 5’ 11".

I have tried three different memory foam toppers and one latex memory foam topper, but I found them all to be too soft:

1. 3-lb. density topper from Memory Foam Solutions
  2. 3-lb. density topper from Costco
  3. 5-lb. density topper from SleepWarehouse
  4. Latex topper from Sleep on Latex that was medium firm (30 ILD),

I think the next thing to try would be a firm latex topper (around 40 ILD). I would like to buy from Sleep on Latex again, but they only allow one return every 12-months.

This latex topper from Ultimate Sleep isn’t much firmer than the last one I tried (it is 32-36 ILD compared to 30 ILD), and it would cost over $400 after shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-Natural-Ultimate-Sleep-Density/dp/B0096B4PLO/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1455294238&sr=1-5&keywords=ergosoft%3A+latex+mattress+topper+firm+queen

I am not sure what to do now. If you have any suggestions, please share them with me!

Hi Phormio,

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations with any certainly because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress or a mattress/topper combination and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion about which topper would be the best “match” for both you in combination with the mattress you are using it on in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of "comfort and PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

I don’t know the thickness of the toppers you tried (thicker toppers will tend to feel softer) but it would be somewhat unusual for most people to choose a topper that was as firm as you are considering when they are looking to soften their mattress (although of course there will always be some people that are exceptions and don’t fit the “averages”).

Phoenix

Thank you for the information.