latex mattress topper

Hi Phoenix!

Let me start by saying I want to thank you for your spectacular knowledge and insight. Your site was my go to when selecting our latex mattress!

We purchased a Sleep EZ split king a year ago. While we love our mattress, unfortunately we have realized that we need a latex mattress topper to make each of our sides softer.

I am a 5’6" 120lbs side sleeper. My husband is a 6’2" 260lbs 50% side 50% back sleeper.

My side of our current mattress from top to bottom is soft talalay, soft dunlop, firm dunlop. I occasionally have slight shoulder pressure point pain. My husband’s side is med talalay, firm dunlop, firm dunlop. He has constant pressure point pain at the shoulder and hip and is fine on his back.

We just did a test run for a week with an old 1 1/2" memory foam topper. It’s been fine for me, except it feels a bit firmer than the mattress alone, which seems strange. My husband no longer has pressure point pain and it wasn’t too soft to cause him lower back pain.

Now for my latex topper hunt, my questions are:

1. Obviously we went with the split mattress because of our differences in height and weight, would we need to do the same for a topper or would one single king work for both of us since our base mattresses are different?
  2. Would dunlop or talalay be better?
  3. What ILD should I look for?
  4. What thickness 1", 2", or 3"?

I greatly value your opinion, so any suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Angie

Hi angie.m,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or any “symptoms” they experience, I can do my best to provide some general guidance.

Memory foam has a different feel than latex, and it’s possible that you might respond better to the more buoyant feel of Talalay or Dunlop versus visco-elastic memory foam. The small amount of extra plushness for your husband shows that he probably needs just a little extra plushness on top of the mattress.

You certainly can go with two twin XL toppers should you desire different level of comfort, but in your situation, and from what you stated your husband responded to with the memory foam, you’re probably both looking at a more plush level of comfort and might be just fine with a single piece topper in the king size.

This is personal preference versus a “better/worse” decision. Talalay certainly as a “livelier” feel and many people prefer that in the upper layer of the mattress. You actually can do a bit of an experiment, at least with your husband’s side of the mattress. Place your 3" piece of soft Talalay on top of his side of the mattress and place a sheet over that and see what he thinks of the feel. Then do the same thing with your 3" piece of soft Dunlop and see if he prefers one over the other. I’m thinking that 3" might be a bit too much for both of you, but there will be a difference in feel and see if he notices this. This might help to point you in another direction.

If you’re looking for extra softness, most companies offering plush toppers are in the upper teen/lower 20 ILD range. This “sounds” like what you’re looking for.

You want the minimum that will accomplish the task, so with what you’ve described you’ll probably be looking at a 2" or 3" product. I’d be a little concerned with going with too much plush material on your side with so much soft latex.

My best piece of advice would be to place a phone call to SleepEZ and explain your situation and ask them for their suggestions. They would have the best experience with your current configuration and they can use their experience with past customers in similar situations to offer solutions that they think will best suit your needs. They could even possibly offer suggestions that involve reconfiguring your current product with the addition of a new topper.

As an aside, you commented that you both are experiencing some issues in the shoulder region, so I would make sure that you take a look at your pillows and make sure that these aren’t contributing to your issues as well.

I’ll be interested to learn about what you decide to do.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Well a year and a half later and we still didn’t get a topper, how’s that for procrastinating, haha! But in all seriousness, we decided to delay because of the high cost of toppers, but have finally admitted we really need one.

From your previous advice we decided that the topper best suited for us is a king 2" Talalay topper in the high teen/low 20s ILD. So thank you so much for helping us with that!

So the search began and I had decided to get Arizona Premium Mattress Co 2" Talalay 20-24 ILD topper. That was until I came across Cozy Pure 2" Dunlop sculpted latex 21-24 ILD topper.

They are similar price points. Neither of them are exchangeable/returnable.

I believe we would be happy with the Arizona solid Talalay topper. But of course coming across the Cozy Pure sculpted topper I was intrigued. Remembering back to my memory foam days, I know I liked the feel of a egg crate memory foam more than a solid memory foam topper.

I know that comparing a solid Talalay to a egg crate Dunlop is kind of comparing apples to oranges, but I was hoping you might have some insight to help guide me to make my final decision.

Cozy Pure describes their sculpted topper “One side features sculpted peaks to lift,embrace and cuddle your curves. The other side is a flat surface, with the lift coming from underneath to create more of a bouncy support.”

My husband and I both prefer the “livelier” (as you put it) feel of Talalay for our top layer. Cozy Pure said that even though theirs is Dunlop that because of the sculpted feature it would have the livelier feeling of Talalay verse the feel of a solid Dunlop topper. I’ve read enough of your posts to know comfort is relative and impossible to measure, so I’m definitely not asking if you think this would feel good to us. But rather if you have an opinion if a egg crate Dunlop could possibly have the same “lively” feel of a solid Talalay?

They stated that in the 6 months that they’ve had this topper, customers are saying that the sculpted topper is even more comfortable and better at relieving pressure points than a traditional Dunlop or Talalay solid topper. Again, “more comfortable” is relative, but what are your thoughts on egg crate Dunlop vs solid Talalay for relieving pressure points?

Also Cozy Pure said that the sculpted topper holds up well and does not have compression issues with the latex. Although I do question how they would know for sure the longevity if they’ve only offered the product for 6 months. Do you have any experience or knowledge about if latex egg crate style toppers holds up the same, better, or worse than solid toppers?

Thanks!

Hi angie.m.

I guess things have a way of rising to the surface when the time comes. Welcome back :slight_smile:

The top convoluted surface of a foam material will be softer, which means that the surface “ILD” of the layer will be lower than it would be for a solid layer, but as you sink past the convoluted area then gets firmer much faster into the part where the convoluted “cones” are thicker and into the part of the layer that is not convoluted at all. In other words … it increases the compression modulus of the layer (how quickly it gets firmer with deeper compression) so you can have a softer part and a firmer part in the same layer. The transition between softer and firmer would be more even and gradual than using say a 1" layer of softer latex over a 1" layer of firmer latex where the transition would be more “sudden”.

The shape and height of the convoluted “peaks and valleys” can also make a difference in the response curve of a convoluted layer and on its firmness and how it feels. This would add some liveliness to the Dunlop surface and form a deeper cradle with a plusher overall feel, but I wouldn’t be able to tell if this would match or surpass the liveliness or plushness of a roughly equivalent ILD in Talalay as this is dependent on too many variables including what you feel in relation to any material which may be very different from how someone else feels. Also depending on how wide and deep the channels are when someone is lying on the mattress the convoluted version will more breathable as it allows for more airflow to the outside environment.

CozyPure’s statements are correct… as I mentioned previously, the convoluted part of the layer compresses it would be softer (there is less latex to compress) but as you sink into the parts of the layer where the convoluting is thicker or the layer is solid then it would become firmer faster. It would have a greater “range” from firm to soft as the layer compresses from initial compression to deeper compression and would have a different response curve than the same type of latex that was a solid layer of the same thickness. For example a 2" convoluted layer would be similar to having a softer 1" layer on top of a firmer 1" layer except the transition between softer and firmer would be more gradual than having 2 stacked separate layers. To further the example (although these are not exact numbers) if the convoluted layer is 24 ILD, than with the convoluting it would “feel like” it was closer to the mid-teens.

As far as durability CozyPure’s assessment would not be based on their product longevity on the market but on the inherent properties of the latex itself including when it is in its convoluted form. All the materials they use are high quality and long tested in in each of their forms before any of their product reaches the market.

Both options you are considering from our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency and the “best” suggestion I can make is to make sure you have more detailed conversations with each of them and then follow the direction you are “leaning” the most strongly because there won’t be any “clear winners” between them no matter how much technical information you are able to find out.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I have been sleeping on a latex mattress for 5 years, 6" 32 ild and 2" 22 ild.
I have changed to a iComfort Savant Everfeel mattress that is 2 1/2 years old with an adjustable frame. The info I gathered from a search of the model number 500823528-1020 is it’s Firm and
Cool action dual effect memory foam
Cool action gel memory foam
Serta pillow soft foam
Ultimate edge support
The iComfort is too firm for my pressure points, so I was either going with a 3" covered latex topper
or add a 3" bare latex then get a cover to enclose the iComfort mattress and latex.

My thinking was to use the mattress as they are not that old, but if you tell me iComfort is too poor of quality, I can get complete new mattress. As I got the bed for mainly the adjustable frame.
Thanks, AcGolfer

Hi AcGolfer.

I am glad you asked before going down a rabbit hole as I am not sure that fixing a mattress that is starting to show issues is the way to go for several reasons…if the condition or design of the mattress itself is part of the problem (other than comfort layers that are too thin or firm) and has either significant impressions or soft spots under certain areas of the body or if the comfort layers of the mattress are already too thick and soft … then a topper will only follow the dips and soft spots or will be even thicker and softer and will provide only partial or temporary benefits at best and in some cases can lead to even worse problems with alignment. Like most of the major brands … the Serta iComfort has poor value and it is made to cater to the highly subjective and managed environment of a showroom floor but this has little to do how a mattress will feel and perform in the long term. There is more about many of the iComfort mattresses in post #11 here

I would generally suggest avoiding a fix with a topper and start your mattress research from ground zero with the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When assessing any product, also be sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I mentioned I have a latex bed and I should have also said I did my researched here before that purchase, so I suspected the quality of the iComfort.
But since I just purchased 2 used adjustable frame with the iComfort mattresses included and only being 2 1/2 years old, I was hoping that I could get some use out of it by adding a topper.
I’m in the process of talking to Ken Hightower about my 5 yo latex mattress, it’s the Adjustable Ultimate Plush, 6" 32 ild core and 2" 22 ild comfort level. It has developed about a 1 1/2" depression in the hip area.

So before I get mattresses for the iComfort adjustable beds (2 twins) I’ll have to figure what happened to our 5 yo latex mattresses, that is a queen size and only now coming up to its 5th year anniversary. We both would slide right into that depression.

A little info about us : my BMI is 28, 180# 5’ 9" with the weight mostly in my stomach and a side sleeper,
spouses BMI is around 28 also, 150# 5’ 2" with her weight in her hips, sleep on back and side.
We both like the soft feel. She don’t like the memory foam feel.
I like the feeling of sinking into the mattress but I didn’t like the feeling of being struck.
When in the iComfort bed it seems difficult to turn from side to the other side.
Plus I believe even though the iComfort is firm and my 5yo latex bed is plush that i am sinking in farther into the iComfort mattress because I had to use a thinner pillow cause my neck was hurting.

I kinda wish our Adjustable Ultra Plush had 3 3" layer instead of the 6-3 layer. As I am wondering if we need something firmer on the core. would give us more flexibility with layers, instead of having to buy a 6" layer and wasting the other 6" layer.

I ran across a post where someone mentioned zoned mattresses (might go that way with the new mattresses) but pertaining to my 5 yo latex mattress they mentioned you had a recommendation about putting a piece of firmer foam under you sinking area, in our cause the hips. And I was wondering as you are just laying it on top of the existing latex, how thick you would go without feeling a crease. I hope this make sense and you recall it.

Well I got a little long winded be It seems I have a lot going on, plus getting a new metal platform foundation for the latex bed. Wished the queen latex mattress was a king then they could go right on the 2 adjustable twin beds with 2 new covers. haha
Thanks in advance Phoenix your info is always helpful,
AcGolfer

Hi AcGolfer.

All foam materials will both soften (virtual impressions) and/or develop visible impressions to some degree over time and won’t stay perfectly flat but if they are higher quality and more durable materials such as latex they will be significantly less and take longer to develop than lower quality and less durable materials and any minimal softening or impressions won’t generally affect the comfort and support of the mattress.

Latex, in general, is the most durable foam material and generally holds up very well for a very long period of time so outside of any defects in the latex itself (which is very uncommon) if there is any sagging it would be in the quilting layers or the base layer under the mattress or in many cases what they are calling “sagging” is really what I call “virtual impressions” which are the result of choosing a comfort level that is too soft.

There are several possibilities that can account for your experience that are listed in post #4 here.

As you are mentioning a 1 ½ " deep impression and since is blended Talalay latex in your Adjustable Ultra Plush is among the most durable foam materials it will soften much more slowly than any other type of foam … so foam softening or breakdown is rarely an issue with latex unless it was defective or “on the edge” of being too soft for your body type and BMI when it was new (softer foam is always less durable than firmer foam regardless of the type of foam). In these cases, the issue is not about the quality or durability of the materials but can be an issue of “on the edge” initial comfort choice or an inappropriate support system underneath the mattress … so I am glad that you reached out to Ken to discuss your situation and help you pinpoint any possible causes.

I would also check to make sure that your support system is still perfectly flat and that there are no parts that are sagging or that are bending under the weight of the mattress including the people sleeping on it. It should provide similar support to having your mattress on the floor and you can test this by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference. If it does then it’s more likely that your support system part of the problem.

Generally, I do not usually recommend zoned systems if it is not done under the careful guidance of a manufacturer that has the ability to assess and customize any zoning to your needs, sleeping positions and body profile. Generally zoning by itself can create more problems than it solves, but it can certainly be useful and well worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on careful testing or your own personal experience.

There are hundreds of zoned mattresses in the market in many different mattress categories (including “all latex” mattresses) most of which use “fixed” zones but there are a few that use customizable zones as well. Some of the ones that use customizable zones include Flobeds which you mentioned and the Reverie Dream Mattresses (although they aren’t “zoned” in the more traditional sense of the word because they have cylinders that can be rearranged to provide different levels of firmness and feel).

As far as adding extra foam strips under the “depression” area while it can be useful in certain extreme situations … this can also over time can result in some odd body impressions and as a general rule, it is not something I normally would recommend, especially not before diagnosing the issue and finding the root cause of a 1 and ½ deep impression in an 8" mattress. If this is something you want to experiment with, keep in mind that the closer to the sleeping surface the strip is placed the more impact it will have and that due to the height and firmness differential, it can also create other issues such as unwanted “ridging”.

Phoenix

Hi Angie!
Sorry this is a late response regarding our sculpted topper, but I did want to address and correct the 6 month time-frame you mentioned. We have been using this 2" layer inside the construction of our 12" mattresses for at least 5 years now. It’s only been since November 2017 that we decided to also offer it as a “stand-alone” product because we had customer asking to purchase it. We can definitely attest to the “longevity” based on our long term use of the component. Good luck finding a topper that works for you!
-cheryl