Latex mattress topper

Hello.i have been reading online how good a latex mattress is at helping with aches and pain. I wanted to buy one but was very concerned about buying such an expensive item on line without testing it first. Also concerned about how to physically get it in and set up in my condo. I am 70 and not very strong. The only place I could find that had a latex mattress was Original Mattress Factory. ( I had not found thematressunderground at this point) I knew their mattress was only 40% Talalay latex and because it is reversible, I guess, that means 20% on each side. I went to the store and laid on the mattress for about 20 minutes to see if my hips hurt. They did not so I made a big MISTAKE and bought it. I lasted about Two hours before I
had so much pain in my hips, I had to go the sofa. I actually liked the feel of the mattress, so if it were not for hip pain it would have been all right. I then went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought a memory form topper so I could sleep while I decided what to do next! It worked OK, helped my hips but it was hard for me to turn over and get out of bed. I would still like to try a latex topper on the mattress I have before buying a whole new mattress.
I did find out from this site that I could have gone to Cozy Pure in Norfolk, VA. To test a latex mattress. I looked at their latex topper, however, and it is pieces of latex and I don’t think I would like that. I have read reviews for the SleepEZ topper and the pure latex bliss topper from Mattresses T o Go. Both seem good but a lot of the reviews are for the mattresses not the topper. Just can’t make a decision. I will be so grateful for any suggestions you can give me.
So here are the facts. I live in Virginia Beach , VA.
I have bursitis in both hips. I sleep on my side. I weigh 145 pounds BUT I am only 4foot 10inches tall, so there is a lot of weight concentrated in one area… I don’t know if toppers come in ILD comfort levels. I will definitely get someone to help me this time so the topper weigh will not be a factor. I am not concerned about the cost. I want a good quality and I good company to work with. Thanks for your help. Hope this wasn’t too confusing.

Hi Beteast,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure where you read this but I would keep in mind that there is no specific type or category of mattress or any specific material that is “better for aches and pains” in general because each person’s individual needs and preferences in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is unique to them. There is only a mattress or a mattress/topper combination that is “best for your aches and pains” (regardless of whether the same combination would be suitable for anyone else).

All the different types or categories of mattresses or materials have hundreds of different options, combinations, and designs and some of them that work well for some people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on even if they have a similar body type and sleeping style or have similar “symptoms” or health conditions. In other words the design of a sleeping system and whether that specific design and combination of materials and components is a good match for you in terms of PPP (regardless of whether it would be suitable for anyone else) is always more important than the specific type of materials and components inside the mattress.

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there is always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. It also includes a link to a list of some of the better online sources for toppers I’m aware of and a link to the online suppliers that have good exchange/return policies as well (just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of "comfort and PPP then it also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time and a topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well.

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful if your mattress is too firm as well.

The OMF mattresses in their showrooms are generally on a box spring as well that provides some additional flex under the mattress (vs a foundation that has little to no flex) so if you tested the mattress on their box spring but are using the mattress on a rigid foundation that has no flex then that can certainly have an effect on the feel and performance of your mattress as well.

Phoenix

I bought the softest Dunlop mattress I could find, only to discover I then had hip and shoulder pain that wouldn’t go away. I tried the Cozy Pure topper but my hips still hurt and my shoulders were uncomfortable. I finally broke down and bought a Pure Latex Bliss 3" ultra-soft (14 ILD, I believe) Talalay topper from, of all places, Amazon. I love it - it’s just what my body needed, and after more than a year I’ve not a single complaint about it. The topper comes zipped into a very nice cover, and it wasn’t too heavy for me to manage (I’m 65).

I’m sure a lot of people would think my bed falls into the “too soft” category - but for me, it’s absolutely perfect. For reference, I’m 4" taller than you, and about 10 pounds heavier.

I’m sure Phoenix will be along with more practical information - all I can offer is to pass along what worked for me, with the caveat that everyone’s different.

Is it memory foam mattress or normal softest mattress? It seems like that most of people would like to choose memory foam mattress now.

Hi eagle,

That’s more because of marketing and profit margins, and to some degree “hype”, than because memory foam mattresses are necessarily any better or worse than any other type of mattresses.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

Clawdia’s mattress is made with 100% natural Dunlop latex and the topper she purchased is made from very soft Talalay latex.

There is also more about the pros and cons of memory foam vs latex in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of mattresses or materials you tend to prefer would be based on your own careful testing or personal experience on a range of different types of mattresses that use different materials that you are interested in testing.

Phoenix