latex mattress toppers

We have a memory foam mattress from Costco which is to hot. And now after
about two years is not comfortable. So, my question is can anyone tell me if buying
a latex topper would make it cooler and more comfortable? Or be a waste of money…

Thx

Hi sailor,

You can read about some of the factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here. Sometimes just a change in your mattress protector, mattress pad, sheets, or bedding can make a difference in your sleeping temperature. In general though latex is more breathable than memory foam so it tends to sleep cooler if all the other factors that are involved in temperature regulation are equal.

Comfort is very subjective and each person may have a very different idea of what is comfortable and which materials they prefer so it would depend on the specifics of why your mattress is uncomfortable.

Latex is very different from memory foam and the choice between them is really a matter of preference. Some people prefer the feel and comfort of memory foam and others prefer the feel and comfort of latex. There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here but your own personal testing and experience is the best way to know which one you prefer or is most comfortable for you.

A topper can help if the reason for your discomfort is that your mattress is too firm (you have pressure points typically in your hips or shoulders) and you need some extra pressure relief and softness as long as there are no soft spots or dips in your mattress. This would be most common for side sleepers who are more prone to pressure points.

If your mattress is already too soft or has any dips or soft spots that are creating alignment issues (typically back pain or discomfort) then a topper is not generally an effective solution (see post #4 here). This would be common with Costco mattresses (or any mattress) that uses lower quality/density memory foam that will soften much more quickly over time than higher quality/density materials.

If you do need some extra softness and pressure relief in your mattress and your mattress is still in good condition then there are some topper guidelines in post #8 here that can help you make the best possible choice in terms of the thickness and softness of a topper.

Phoenix

Does memory foam sleep hotter as it ages?

Hi mmcakes,

Not to my knowledge no.

I haven’t seen any specific information that has tested this or would indicate that it does but I can’t think of any “theoretical” reason why it would.

Phoenix