Latex Mattress: Vendor and Comfort Questions

Thanks for the clarification. I made the mistake of assuming that since they both use Bamboo wool covers that they were the same. I didn’t notice the slight difference between the zipper design differences (APM allows access to both layers whereas BB only allows access to the topper). It’s also good to know about the polyfoam, I wonder why they don’t mention it (their description is the same as APM, just a “quilted bamboo cover with wool”)? Are you certain the Total Latex has it (I know the cheaper, non-all latex one does)?

Having said that, is the zipper design important? It’s obviously mandatory to allow core switching (something needed for the APM comfort method). But what I’m asking is, 10+ years down the road when the mattress is breaking down, would only the topper need replaced or does the topper/core both generally wear equally/both need replaced after so many years?

Also, would the bamboo cover foam on the BB mattress (assuming it does exist on that model) be considered a weak link when it comes to wear (would it wear faster than the rest of the foam/cause any discomfort)? Just asking since it’s part of the cover and the cover isn’t completely removable you’d be stuck with it for the life of the core (although depending on your answers above as to if the core wears at a similar rate I suppose that wouldn’t matter).

Basically, is it common to replace just the top layer in latex mattresses over and over, and possibly the cover (don’t know how long it takes for the cotton/wool/polyfoam in the cover to break down, if ever), or does the core wear fast enough to cause most to just replace the entire mattress at that point?

Something else I just thought of. There is a layer of fabric (cover) between the two layers in the BB mattress. Does this affect the feel of the mattress at all (like if it would create tension/prevent you from fully utilizing the flexibility/support of the core)?

Also, do you know if there is any difference between the foam densities between the two vendors?

Shoutout to MikeM from THIS thread. Lot of useful information in there pertaining to ILD.

This has all been very helpful. Thanks again so much. :slight_smile: