Latex Mattress Ventilation

I’m planning to use a latex mattress on an adjustable bed. Are there any special ventilation requirements for the mattress; e.g. would there be a need for a mattress rug or something similar between the bed and the mattress to improve ventilation?

Hi eltampa,

No there would be no special requirements to use the mattress on an adjustable and I would use the mattress directly on the adjustable platform (I have the same setup).

While I would choose a slatted base “when possible” … I wouldn’t use anything else under the mattress with an adjustable bed because it could shift more easily and reduce the contouring of the mattress vs just using the mattress directly on the platform (see post #7 here).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I am waiting for my platform bed to be delivered so that I can take delivery on my new latex mattress. While I’m waiting I’m starting to have concerns about some of the choices I made. I like the looks of a platform bed but with only the mattress, the bed will be too low for my liking, so I ordered a foundation as well. After reading this thread I’m concerned about “shifting” because I will have 3 layers instead of 2.

Also, the mattress I ordered is not certified organic. I read here that certified is way more expensive and that natural latex might have the same standards in processing. Since I’m chemically sensitive, my concern is off-gassing. The manufacturer I ordered the mattress from says they use 100% latex, it has 2 layers of Dunlop and 1 layer of Talalay and there is no glue in the layers.They also use organic cotton and wool covers.

This all sounds good, however, if the mattress makes me sick I have no alternative at this location for an equitable switch. In my case, I would think the only problem with 100% natural versus certified organic would be the amount of pesticides/chemicals used in the processing. At this point I’m not sure what questions to ask the mattress dealer and since I have already paid for the mattress I may have to ride it out anyway.

I know where the latex comes from but would it help if he would tell me who he gets it from?

Hi Dani,

I switched your post to a new topic because your questions weren’t about an adjustable bed which was the subject of the other thread you posted in.

You won’t have any issues with shifting in using a suitable foundation on a platform bed. There are many platform beds that can be used to directly support a mattress (if the support surface is suitable for the mattress) or that can use a foundation. There are also different foundation heights ranging from bunkie boards (usually around 2") to low profile foundations (usually from 4" to 6") to standard foundations (usually around 8" to 9") that you can use to make sure that the height of your sleeping surface is suitable for you. There is more about foundations that are suitable for different types of mattresses including some good sources in the foundation post here.

All the latex you are likely to encounter (whether it’s Dunlop or Talalay or made with synthetic or natural rubber or a blend of both) are tested and certified to the same standards and would be “safe” for most people. An organic certification is more about the agricultural methods used on natural rubber plantations. There is more about organic latex in post #6 here and there is also more about organic certifications in post #2 here. Outside of the certification itself … there is little difference between organic Dunlop (there is no organic Talalay) and 100% natural Dunlop in terms of safety, feel, or performance. Rubber plantations don’t usually use pesticides (with some exceptions in the early stages after planting the rubber trees and long before they are harvested).

Again there would be little to no difference between synthetic, natural, or blended latex in terms of safety because they have all been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s using the same or very similar testing protocols (either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut). I personally wouldn’t be concerned with the “safety” of any type of latex. The questions you would need to ask about any latex to make more meaningful “apples to apples” comparisons would be the type of latex (Dunlop or Talalay) and the blend of the latex (either natural, synthetic, or a combination of both) and if it’s important to you whether the latex (either the raw latex, the finished latex core, or the mattress itself) has an organic certification.

Many manufacturers aren’t comfortable sharing their raw material sources for competitive reasons (although there are many that will) and knowing the manufacturer that makes the latex isn’t nearly as important as knowing the type and blend of the latex and of course whether it has an organic certification if that’s important to you for personal reasons and the higher cost of the certification is worth it to you.

Phoenix