Latex Mattress - What other mattresses should I be considering?

Hi,

My girlfriend (5’ 3", 145 lbs) and I (male, 5’10", 190 lbs) are looking for a new mattress to replace our current, 6 y/o innerspring mattress. She is almost exclusively a side sleeper, and I am mostly side, sometimes back (I wear a CPAP at night so I can’t sleep on my stomach, otherwise I would).

Our budget is flexible, though we’d like to keep it as lower than higher, and our max is probably around $1500 (unless there’s something else SO amazing with a little bump up after $1500…)

We’d like to stick to a latex mattress as we’ve agreed that it has the most advantages and already own a platform bed with 1.75" spacing between slats. So far I’ve been eyeing the Bamboo Bliss and Aloe Alexis from BB. Have also looked at Dreamfoam Bedding’s equivalents. Originally, I had been leaning towards Dreamfoam Bedding since I have a bunch of Amazon gift card money, but now I’m leaning more towards the BB mattresses because of the higher quality materials.

A couple questions:

1. What other mattresses should we be looking at from other reputable manufacturers for comparison to the ones above?
  2. Is there a reason queen’s don’t come in split layers (most options I see when this is available are King and up)? I’m not even sure if we want to go this route, but it might be something worth considering.
  3. With our combined stats and sleeping positions above, will (1) 3" layer (as in the Bamboo Bliss) be enough for us? I’m sure it will be for my gf but I’m worried that I (since I’ve started lifting weights and have been gaining weight - and have not ultimately decided what my goal weight should/will be) if it will be enough? I understand this is mostly personal preference but I was hoping someone had a similar experience.
    [li]Has anyone had direct experience with any of the local manufacturers in this list for DC? We live in DC proper.

Think that’s all the questions I have at this point. Thanks in advance!

Hi ssh33,

The mattress shopping tutorial includes this link to a list of the business members here that sell online and many of them make latex mattresses and hybrids that use different types of latex, have different designs, features, and options and a wide range of different prices.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Several of the manufacturers on the list have split layers available in queen but others only make them available in king mainly because a king would use two twin XL layers which is a standard size while a split queen uses a non standard size for each side.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and individual preferences involved for anyone (including me) to be able to predict whether any mattress design would be a good match for you based on a formula, “theory at a distance” or specs (either yours or a mattress). When you can’t test a mattress in person then the best source of guidance is a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer that has your best interests at heart and who knows more about their mattresses than anyone else. They are in the best position to “talk you through” the options they have available that would have the highest odds of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). At your weight there is no inherent reason why a 3" latex comfort layer wouldn’t be “enough” for you but whether a mattress as a whole is a good match for you in terms of PPP always depends on the complete design of the mattress and how all the layers interact together, not just on a single layer.

I don’t have any personal experience with any of their mattresses and hopefully some of the members here that do will see your post and share their experiences but in the meantime a forum search on any of them (I would set the “find posts from” setting to "any time) will bring up more comments and feedback about most of them.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick reply, Phoenix!

We live in Washington, DC - 20001 is the zip code to be exact.

Ah, that totally makes sense. Now that you mention it, it’s so obvious.

Guess at this point all I can do is check out the local manufacturers and start emailing a bunch of the internet direct companies!

Hi ssh33,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington, DC area are listed in post #2 here.

Emails can be great if you have a very simple question that has a black and white or single sentence answer but when you are dealing with an online manufacturer I would encourage you to talk with them on the phone (or a live chat at the very least but this would be less effective than a voice conversation) for anything more complex than that (such as asking for advice about comfort choices or for details about the options they have available) because almost all mattress questions have an “it depends” in the answer or involve “unasked questions” that you may not realize need to be asked or require more information that you may not know needs to be provided first before the original question itself can be answered with any meaning.

Many questions that “seem” simple can be much more complex than most consumers realize and can be difficult to deal with in lengthy emails or written communications that can get very complex and have much less “tone” and context than voice or real time communications. It can sometimes take days or weeks of back and forth email exchanges before you are even on the same page where a question can really be answered. Talking through your questions and more complex information on a phone call can often cover more ground in minutes than emails can cover in days … and they will also give you a much better sense of the knowledge and experience of the people you are dealing with.

Phoenix