Latex mattress with latex allergy?

So, I read that the synthetic latex proteins are super washed out of the mattress and that there shouldn’t be a problem (actually, I think I read that there has been no proven case of a mattress sparking someone’s latex allergy).

But I’ve read on various forums and reviews that people with latex allergies are having problems, and returning their mattresses.

My allergy is a pre-anaphylactic Type I. It’s always been with contact, not with inhaling … but I also avoid latex and have never, to my knowledge, slept a third of my day in a latex bed.

I’m inclined to skip it, but it seems like latex is the Cadillac of mattresses right now; nothing else seems to compete with it for durability, comfort, breathability. What else could I be looking for?

My husband and I are both side sleepers; he’s overweight and I’m average weight. He’s a hot sleeper, I’m a cold sleeper. We were looking at getting a pocket coil core mattress. Budget is really no issue, as long as durability is there. Ideally I’d like the bed to last for ten years - or more (our current bed is over 15 years old). I briefly considered getting a natural fibers comfort layer, but I’m not thrilled about the bed permanently molding to my shape. Memory foam is too hot for my husband and I hate the feel of it (that preference of mine is mitigated by a quilted topper). Reading through the wiki on this site seems to imply that the poly-foam is hit-or-miss because retailers will mix densities to keep costs down. I’d never even heard of buckling column gel before this site, so if that’s a decent option, I’d have to actually test that.

Thanks!

Hi Random.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

There is more about the different types of latex allergies or sensitivities in post #2 here but in most cases (unless you have a more severe type I allergy and carry an epipen) a latex allergy isn’t an issue with the type of latex that is used in mattresses and because there is no actual contact with the latex itself.

Since you do mention a type 1 allergy, it’s probably worth being concerned.

Latex can be a great alternative to memory foam if you dislike the way memory foam tends to “collapse” in on itself as it heats up throughout the night. But, a high density, durable memory foam is also amazing!

Buckling column gel isn’t high on my list of favorites/recommendations. It’s still a fairly new material that isn’t well studied and really seems to be most useful for people with extreme or intense support needs.

While not a member of our Trusted Member listing, you might want to consider the EOS Classic from Naturepedic (totally latex free). It’s fully customizable and allows for split layer customization as well for you and your husband’s mixed needs. It has a separate comfort layer so that you can swap it out later if you find your comfort or support needs change. It’s a pretty comprehensive mattress and one of the only latex free, non-synthetic options of its kind.

It’s definitely a worthy contender, in this case! And in general, Naturepedic does a great job creating quality beds.

If you come across options you’re considering that you’d like us to help evaluate, we’re happy to do so!

NikkiTMU

We would second the Naturepedic EOS recommendation - we have worked with them for a number of years and they are good beds. The regular EOS Classic does have latex, so just be sure to mention that you want the latex-free version. The customizability in terms of choice of firmness could be very helpful for you. Best of luck in your search!

1 Like