Latex Mattress with Latex Topper. Cover or no cover??

So we finally found and have decided on a mattress. I will put a separate post with all of that info. So basically it is a 10" Talalay Latex Mattress, 3" firm base, 3" medium & 3 inch medium all zipped into a cotton wool cover. The mattress is awesome as is, but something was missing?? At the store we had them put on a 1" Talalay soft on top, PERFECT!!!.

This leads to my question, we have several options??

1. Zip the 1" in with all the other layers?? Not sure if this would compress the soft 1" layer too much??

2. Just put the topper on top of the mattress and then put the sheets on?? This would kind of defeat the purpose of the quilted cotton/wool cover?? This is how we tried it at the store, minus the sheet.

3. Put the 1" topper in a topper cover?? The salesman said this would change the feel of the 1" topper could be better and or worse?? This also takes the cost up quite a bit??

Right now I am leaning toward putting the 1" soft in with all of the other layers, Verlo said it would fit?? Again my concern would be the cover and other layers would just compress the soft layer??

Thanks, Bryce

Hi Bryce720,

This is the first option that I would try because it would keep the benefits of the cotton/wool cover. Your mattress cover would most likely have room for an additional inch although it could still have a small effect on the feel of the mattress because of some additional precompression of the latex.

Since this is exactly the same combination that you tried in the store it would be the closest to what you tried in terms of how it feels with the exception of any effect of your sheets . You would lose “some” of the benefits of sleeping directly on the wool quilted cover but latex is very breathable so it’s unlikely that you would have any temperature regulation issues with sleeping directly on an inch of latex. The biggest down side of this is that a bare layer of latex may break down or be damaged more quickly than a latex layer that is either inside of the mattress cover or has its own dedicated cover.

Latex can oxidize faster with exposure to air and ozone and ultraviolet light along with other substances that can damage it (see here) and it’s generally a good idea for latex to have a suitable dedicated cover to give it the best possible protection and to help maximize it’s useful lifetime. It can also help protect it with handling. There is more in post #3 here and post #3 here that will give you some sense of the effect of different types of covers on latex. A cover would have “some” effect on the feel of the topper but a relatively thin stretchy knit cover would have the least possible effect. Your own personal experience is the only reliable way to know how much effect it has and whether the cover was either beneficial or detrimental or whether you could feel any effect at all.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: primelineindustries.com/natural-rubber-chemcompchart.html

This would probably be the first thing I would try as well followed by the topper with its own dedicated cover.

Phoenix

I know that this an old thread but I didn’t want to start a new one. We have 9" latex mattress (Soma 3f/3m/3s) with a organic cotton protector. We recently purchased a talalay (19 ILD) topper with cover. The delivery person said it should be inside the protector/cover with the rest of the mattress. This is to reduce chance of shifting. The sales person says it should be on top of the protector/cover, with the fitted sheet surrounding both. I believe option #2 would deliver the softness better than being in the cover. I tried it inside the cover and it’s not really noticeable but I have a shoulder issue and am reluctant to try different options without input from experts. I would assume the salesperson is more of an expert but delivery people deal with the end user more. Any suggestions?

Hey TheNit.

Most people will choose to encase their entire set up in the same cover. However, it does create some additional stiffness. You could try setting it outside the cover to see if that helps, and if not, then we can chat through some other troubleshooting options (looking into the pillow etc).

NikkiTMU

The shoulder issue is the main reason we went for the talalay topper as it gives much more pressure relief than Dunlop. As you suggested, putting it in the cover may add to the stiffness, which we don’t want. Hip pressure is troublesome as well so pillow talk isn’t necessary.