Latex Mattress

Thank you, again. We will take this information with us when we go looking again, hopefully next weekend.

Glenn

Hi Golson,

Good luck in your field testing. Let me know if you have any questions or feedback along the way.

Phoenix

OK…did some testing today and are still overwhelmed! My wife really liked a Simmons Memory foam (Indigo Point), while I did like this also, I leaned toward the Englander Latex matress. We also liked (not as soft as my wife would like though) the Sealy “Meditation” and the Natura “Solace” latex mattress. One of my concerns about the Englander (which does have 90 day comfort guarantee and 20 year full warranty) is that the support layer is high-density soy-based perma-support. I haven’t heard of his in any of my online research. Below is what we found on these mattresses. Thank you again for this great resource!

Glenn

Englander Daisy Pillow Top: $1700
Cover - Aloe Vera
Quilting - Multi needle quilted to a triple layer of soy-based ultra foam plus Firesafe fibers
Pillow Top - 1" pure, natural rubber latex
Core - 4" pure, natural rubber latex laminated to a 6" high-density soy-based perma-support base

Simmons Indigo: $2000
Stretch Knit Fabric Cover with Evenloft
Layer of Flame Retardant Fiber
Layer of 1" NxG Memory foam with GelTouch™ Technology in the center third
Comforpedic® Plush Core
Layer of 3-1/2" NxG Memory Foam
Layer of 6-1/2" 24ILD Suspension Support Foam
3" Contour-Flex Edge Support providing 360Âş Foam Encasement
Triton Foundation

Sealey Embody Meditation $1688 (for floor model)
Support Core - 7" Interlock Poly Core
Specialty Foam - 4" Talalay Latex
Fabric - Body Climate by Polartec

Natura “Solace” $2400
Cashmere blend ticking
Furnishes sumptuous comfort that’s natural, breathable and healthy

4.2 lbs Pure NaturaWool™
Reduces tossing and turning from temperature fluctuations
Improves circulation by buffering pressure points

All-natural cotton
Serves as an all-natural fire barrier

1" Convoluted Dunlop latex (blended)
Enhances contouring, supple support

4" 3-Zone Talalay Latex (blended)
Delivers targeted shoulder, hip and lower leg support
Absorbs motion transfer so couples can sleep together undisturbed
Reduces exposure to dust-mites and other allergens

4" Dunlop latex
Unifies consistent feel across the whole body

2" Coconut coir
Provides a firm, breathable base

Hi Glenn,

When you see the word “soy based” or “bio foam” or similar words … what they are talking about is a polyfoam or memory foam (memory foam is just polyfoam with additional chemicals to make it into memory foam) where a small amount of the petro based polyols (one of the ingredients in polyfoam or memory foam) has been replaced with a plant based polyol. It is memory foam or polyfoam which is being “spun” as being green.

Englander Daisy Pillowtop

This is the layer I would be concerned about. Many of the Englanders have up to 2" of polyfoam above the latex. Others don’t (although I suspect this is one that does). I would want to know how many inches is in the triple layer of polyfoam both so you could know if you were lying on latex or polyfoam and how likely it is that the polyfoam will compress over time. Higher quality polyfoam (soy based perma support) in the support core is usually OK for a lower priced mattress (polyfoam is much lower cost than latex). It’s in the comfort layer where polyfoam should be completely avoided … or at a maximum 1". This is always something worth checking with the retailer’s spec sheet which the manufacturer provides them.

Simmons Indigo

A description of the mattress is also here which shows that the memory foam is only 3.5 lb which is a lower quality/density material. It only has 24 ILD support foam as well (usually support foam “starts” at about 28 ILD and is usually firmer). As in all national brands … I would pass it by as poor value. I would also guess that the support wouldn’t be nearly firm enough for you and probably not for your wife either … even though she is a side sleeper. There’s just too much lower quality soft memory foam on top of this and IMO its a recipe for foam breakdown.

Sealy Embody Meditation

The comfort layer is made of “smart foam” which is firmer than talalay latex and is made of Dunlop with “inserts” in it. This is a good pointer to what works for you however I would tend towards a slightly thinner layer of softer talalay with either a firm polyfoam core (like this has) or a latex core.

Natura solace

The Solace uses a thicker wool quilting over the latex than the other two. This makes the latex firmer (less able to take on the body shape) and as the wool compresses … it gets even firmer yet. In effect it acts like it is slightly thinner and firmer even though its initial “feel” may be soft. While this mattress is nice in terms of having one side soft (more suitable for your wife) and one side firm (more suitable for you) … There is quite a thick layer of latex on top even with the wool quilting (1" convoluted dunlop which would be soft and then a 4" zoned comfort layer). This “side split” is also available on many online DIY all latex mattresses if you choose to go in that direction.

What all of this is pointing to is that your wife certainly likes (and probably needs) a softer comfort layer than you do (because of her primarily side sleeping and lower weight) however you will both likely need a reasonable firm support core (her to stop her hips from sinking in too far and you for the same reason … especially on your back or stomach). If you can find a 3" comfort layer that works it would be preferable over 4" or more.

http://www.benningtonfurniture.com/itemBrowser.aspx?action=attributes&ItemType=Furniture&Category=Mattresses&Brand=Mattress%201st carries some house brand mattresses (mattress 1st made by Serta) with latex and memory foam. I would phone them first though to make sure they have spec sheets to make sure about any polyfoam on top or you won’t know what you are lying on.

http://www.burlingtonbedrooms.com/matts.htm Carries Innomax mattresses who makes both latex and memory foam that may have good value. I would also call them first to make sure about what they carry because Innomax also makes airbeds which I would not consider.

Sleepy’s in West Lebanon is about an hour away but they do carry Pure Latex Bliss which are excellent latex testing grounds. (NOTE ADDED LATER: Unfortunately they don’t carry these any more and there are no other mattresses that I would seriously consider here)

The picture is starting to get clearer … and with a bit more testing it should get clearer yet.

Phoenix

Thank you! Your feedback is very helpful. Bennington Furnture is actually where we tried the Embody Meditation. They also had the Sealey iComfort. I will call them about the mattress you mentioned and also check back on the inches of Polyfoam in the Englander.

Thanks again!
Glenn

Hi PC88,

I changed this to a new thread so that others in the San Jose area will have an easier time finding it. Hope that’s OK :slight_smile:

The list also includes the better options I’m aware of as far south as the Salinas, Monterey area and as far north as Burlingame.

In addition to this list … there are also some good options available a little further north in the San Francisco list here.

Bay Bed & Mattress - FAQ A member here of this site. Factory direct manufacturer in Santa Cruz. Specialize in latex over innerspring “choose your own layer” mattresses. I have talked with them enough to know that they use the best quality components and offer great value, quality, and service and I believe compete well with the best in the industry. I think very highly of them and recommend that anyone within driving distance makes a point of paying them a visit.

Nest Beding Palo Alto, San Francisco, Albany, CA (and others outside the area). They are a member of this site and are knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent and carry a range of mattresses including latex, memory foam, and latex and memory foam/pocket coil hybrids. They have also put a great deal of time and effort into carrying mattresses that are good quality and value. I have also talked with Joe the owner on many occasions and he is passionate about what he is doing and left a larger manufacturer that had a somewhat exaggerated focus on “green” mattresses to form his own company because he wanted to “do it right”.

https://www.foamorder.com/ San Rafael, San Pablo, CA. Local factory direct manufacturer. I have talked with Alan here and he is committed to providing high quality materials and mattresses. Tends to focus more on the benefits of Dunlop latex over Talalay and some of the Talalay information here is I believe is somewhat inaccurate. They also make memory foam mattresses. Also well worth including in your research as they have some good options with good value. Their Natural Sense mattresses are also available at stores in Concord, Arcata, and Albany, CA.

http://www.mcroskey.com/index.shtml Factory direct “high end” manufacturer in Palo Alto and San Francisco. They hand build some very high quality mattresses using innersprings, natural and synthetic fibers but they also carry a premium price.

http://www.salinasmattress.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Salinas. I have talked with the owner John and he uses some very high quality materials including latex, 5 lb memory foam, and higher density polyfoam. Good quality and value, mostly 2 sided (even with latex) and will also custom build. Good people

http://remsleepsolutions.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Salinas. I have talked with Randy the owner here and they make some high quality memory foam mattress using high quality materials. They sell primarily through trade shows but have two company showrooms and a few retail outlets as well. He is very knowledgeable about mattress materials and committed to good quality mattresses and customer service but they also carry a more premium price compared to other smaller manufacturers that make similar mattresses so I would make some careful value comparisons.

http://www.thefutonshop.com/ San Jose, Los Altos, San Mateo, San Francisco, Concord, CA. Carries a huge range of futons of all kinds including innersprings, latex, memory foam, polyfoam, and organic wool and cotton.

https://www.gingerich-built.com/ Monterey Mattress. Independent factory direct manufacturer in Monterey. I would call first and check some pricing with a “rough description” of what you want as when I was talking to him about latex mattresses (core and comfort layer) the prices he quoted me seemed out of line.

https://www.thenaturalmattressstore.com/ Factory direct manufacturer in Los Gatos, Palo Alto, San Rafael, Walnut Creek, San Francisco. Makes a range of high quality latex/innerspring hybrids and all latex mattresses (including component latex mattresses) that can be customized both before and after a purchase. Worth a visit.

https://www.naturallyorganicsleep.com/ Burlingame. Local manufacturer that makes various “choose your own” layered latex mattresses with various different types of zip covers. Good quality and value. They also carry PalmPring, Pure Latex Bliss, REM Sleep Solutions, Restonic, Natura, Magniflex, Easy Rest, and Savvy Rest mattresses

http://selectsleepmattress.com/ Union City, Danville. Local factory direct manufacturer. This is a component mattress where you can “build your own” mattress by choosing a Bonnell coil, pocket coil, or HD polyfoam for a support layer and either memory foam, latex, or high density polyfoam for the comfort layers along with your choice of ticking/quilting for a cover. Good quality materials and good value. The owner used to be a licensee for a major manufacturer before starting on his own and building directly for consumers and is knowledgeable and clearly “mattress people”.

Shop Affordable Home Furnishings & Home Goods - IKEA Pal Alto. See post #3 here for more about their mattresses.

http://www.sc41.com/ Soquel, CA. Direct retailer for the Berkeley Ergonomics line of mattresses. These are a line of mattresses that includes all latex, latex over innersprings, and microcoil mattresses. They have good quality and value and the staff at the outlets that sell these mattresses are knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.californiamattress.net/store-location/ Campbell, CA. Carries a range of high quality mattresses including Organicpedic, Pure Latex Bliss, Naturepedic, and Diamond but some of these are also in a more premium price range so make sure you make some careful value comparisons here.

http://www.sleephavenbedding.com/ Redwood City, San Mateo, CA. Carries Englander, Diamond, OMI as well as some mainstream brands I would ignore. I would also make some careful value comparisons here with their more premium latex mattresses.

http://www.diamondmattress.com/Diamond-Mattress/Default.aspx is a regional wholesale manufacturer based in Rancho Dominguez that makes a complete range of mattresses using all types of materials that have some good quality and value (depending to some degree on the prices of the outlet). They have a store finder on their site which will help you find the outlets that carry them that are closest to you.

The Ethos Refresh Medium by Diamond Mattress

This is the type of mattress construction I like and would be a good choice for someone who preferred the feel (or price) of latex over an innerspring as long as the model was good for both pressure relief and alignment. I like that the latex is on top without a lot of “junk” over it.

Simmons NXG 200

This has 1.5" of PurFoam (polyfoam) under 2" of lower density memory foam which is more low quality foam than I would suggest in any mattress. Like all the major manufactures … it is also overpriced and not very good value (compared to a mattress using similar materials made by a local manufacturer or available online). 2" of 3.5 lb memory foam and 1.5" of low density polyfoam is just not the kind of materials I would want in this price range. While it is not directly comparable to the Ethos in terms of feel because they use different comfort materials, there is no doubt that the Ethos is a higher quality mattress and would certainly be my choice between these two if they were equal in terms of pressure relief and alignment and anywhere close in price.

You have some good choices “in the area” but since many of them are not quite next door … I would certainly do some initial research on their sites and on the phone and then plan a trip to include the ones that interested you the most.

While I haven’t looked at every store in the area, there is little to nothing at places like mattress discounters or sleep train or famous mattress that I would even look at much less consider. At sleep world the only brand I would use for testing and reference would be the various Englander models (making sure that I saw the spec sheets to make sure they didn’t have more than an inch of polyfoam in the comfort layers).

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for the references and prompt response! Much appreciated!

Phoenix: I thnk we have hit a bit of a dead-end! Bennington Furniture does not have the “mattress 1st” in stock. Burlington Bedrooms can get the Innomax but does not have any in the showroom. And Sleepys lost their inventiry in Tropical Storm Irene and just reopned today but oly has a line called, “Dr. Breus” in stock. They are unsure of when they will have the Pure Latex Bliss again. Godnick’s Furniture got back to me on the Englander and said that the quiltng is 1 1/2 inches. They had one next to the one we tried with only a half inch, but it wasn’t very soft or comfrotable. How do we find a latex that has a soft top that is not polyfoam?

I feel like we took three steps backwards today.

Thank you, Glenn

Hi Golson22,

Ouch … that’s not good news.

The first thing I should mention is that no matter what they say … the Dr Breus is overpriced and is not what could reasonably be called a latex mattress. A quick look at the law tag will show the amount of latex that is in each model (and this is by weight and because latex is heavier than other foams it actually “overstates” the amount of latex in terms of thickness) is not so great. The Dr Breus “story” is what you are paying for with this mattress … not the materials which are much cheaper and lower quality than even a sale price that has been bargained down would indicate. It has more polyfoam than latex. I’m not saying its a “bad” mattress (although I wouldn’t call it great either) … only that it is poor value.

The first thing I would do is to test certain mattresses for pressure relief that are mostly latex in the comfort layers or memory foam in the comfort layers to get a good sense of the type, softness, and thickness of the comfort layer you need. Test for pressure relief on your side (the position where pressure relief is most important) and while you are completely relaxed try to sense any pressure points on our hips and shoulders. Move a little bit with your hips and shoulders or turn to your back and then to your side again to sense if you can feel a firmer layer underneath the comfort layer that is uncomfortable when you move or if the transition into the firmer layers is more gradual.

Next you want to test the models which worked for pressure relief to check on alignment. This is about making sure your hips don’t sink down too far, that your shoulders sink in far enough, and that there are no gaps under your waist/lumbar (it should not be easy to slide your hand between you and the mattress). On your side your spine should be straight, on your back and stomach it’s especially important to make sure that your pelvic area isn’t sinking down too far and that your spine is in its natural “S” curve and there are no obvious “out of alignment” areas (hips too low or shoulders too high).

When you have tested for pressure relief and alignment and narrowed down your choices to a few … then its time to add in your preferences (such as how good it “feels” overall). Finally you can compare the value of your final choices in terms of the quality of materials (latex is more expensive than quality memory foam which is more expensive than polyfoam) and their durability and other choices like the ticking and the quilting to get a sense of which has better value.

Testing specifically for pressure relief (on your side while completely relaxed for several minutes) and for alignment in all your sleeping positions (again while completely relaxed so the mattress is holding you up not your muscles) will give you a much more accurate sense of what you need than the overall “comfort” of a mattresses which is usually an initial subjective impression and will change over time when you sleep on it for a while.

While its always nice to be able to test specifically with the layers and materials you want to choose … any testing will help in terms of pointing in directions. If you have a good choice locally that also has good value … then a local purchase is possible. If you found a good choice locally but the value is not so good … then this mattress and your testing can serve as a rough blueprint for an online purchase which will have much better value.

To test memory foam mattresses … I would use the iComforts and the Tempurpedic cloud and contour lines. Remember you are looking for which ones are OK for pressure relief and alignment, not an “overall feel”. To test for latex … I would use the Natura models and the Englander models (again testing for pressure relief and alignment). Which models don’t provide good pressure relief and alignment is just as important to know as which ones do as all of this points to what is best for you.

As long as the mattresses you are testing has a layer by layer description (either from the store or available online if they don’t have it or won’t give it to you) which these ones do, then all your pressure relief and alignment feedback will be valuable.

After this a much clearer picture will emerge of the layering that works best for you and then it’s much easier to make final decisions based on subjective factors and value … or to make an online purchase that “fits” your blueprint.

Phoenix

We have spent some more time looking, although not a lot of options near us. Here is what we have found:

NaturaPedic Sensation (my wife and I both liked this a lot… $2,000)

The eco-friendly Sensation Mattress gently echoes your unique curves to reduce late night tossing and turning. The plant-based memory foam and 3-zone Talalay latex topper provides targeted shoulder, hips and thigh support to ease the high tension areas of your body, while the plush Dunlop latex core ensures whole body comfort. With a luscious helping of cozy NaturaWool™ to regulate temperature by wicking away moisture, you’ll stay dry and cozy throughout the night. A fresh, satiny soft and off-gassing free organic cotton blend ticking tops up the comfort. Healthy indulgence that you’ll feel good about.

Organic cotton blend ticking

Furnishes sumptuous comfort that’s natural, breathable and healthy

4.2 lbs Pure NaturaWool™

Reduces tossing and turning from temperature fluctuations
Improves circulation by buffering pressure points

Natural cotton fire barrier

Meets and exceeds all Canadian & US flammability standards

1" Plant-based foam

Provides cushioning support across the whole mattress surface

3" Plant-based memory foam

2" 3-Zoned Talalay latex (blended)

Delivers targeted shoulder, hips, and thigh support

4" All-natural Talalay latex

Unifies consistent feel across the whole body

Englander Daisy Pillow Top (both liked best of Englanders…$1700)

Cover: Aloe Vera

Quilting: 1.5" Multi-Needle Quilted to a triple layer of soy-based ultra foam plus firesafe fibers

Pillow Top: 1" pure, natural rubber latex

Core: 4" pure, natral rubber latex core laminated to a 6" high-density soy-based perma-support base

Warranty: AA-20 year non-pro-rated

Englander Liberty ($1400)

Cover: Aloe Vera

Quilting: 1" Multi-Needle Quilted to a triple layer of soy-based ultra foam plus firesafe fibers

Core: 4" pure, natral rubber latex core laminated to a 6" high-density soy-based perma-support base

Warranty: AA-20 year non-pro-rated

Englander Memory Foam Village ($1000)

Cover: Lyocell Double Knit Cover

Core: 3" of soy-based Visco elastic memory foam laminated to a high-density eco-friendly perma-support foam base

Warranty: A-15 year non-pro-rated

Englander Malibu Foam Boxtop ( $1200)

Quilting: Multi-Needle Quilted to a triple layer of bio-based ultra foam plus firesafe fibers

Boxtop: Bio-based polyfoam

Build Up: Netting
Bio-based polyfoam
Bio-based polyfoam
Bio-based polyfoam
Bio-based polyfoam

Unit: 660 body print 3-zone
Marshall coil unit with special steel edge supports

Warranty: A - 15 year non-prorated

This is a much harder process than I had anticipated! Thank you for all of your help!
Glenn

Hi Golson22m,

I can see the “feel” that you are going for. It’s interesting that I also liked the feel of “hybrid” comfort layers (something over memory foam over latex). The thick wool and the polyfoam (what they call plant-based foam) would separate you from the memory foam and result in less heat on the memory foam and less sinking and less of a “quicksand” feeling in the memory foam. It would also make moving on the mattress less “restrictive”. At the same time it would allow for sinking in as the memory foam warmed up without being too mushy or too much “in” the mattress. The zoned latex under it would also help with this. The Natura uses higher quality materials and would have much better value than any of the iComforts IMO at the price you quoted. I’m not sure what size you are looking at but if the $2000 is for a Queen size Sensation then this would represent good value compared to what Natura normally sells for.

The Natura would also be better value than the Englander which has poly over less expensive (but still high quality) Dunlop latex over polyfoam. Wool is also more expensive than polyfoam in a quilting and also is more breathable.

The “down” side to the Natura is shared with other memory foam mattresses which is that over the course of the night you can sink more deeply into the memory foam although with the wool and polyfoam in it which separates your body heat from the memory foam … this would not happen as much. The other down side to memory foam is that it will tend to soften at first fairly quickly (over the first few weeks) and then more gradually. This will be offset to some degree with the compacting of the wool over time (although the wool in the Natura is thicker and quilted in a way that it is both “fluffier” and more “pre-compacted” in a sense).

So overall it looks like you are going for some firmness on top without a “mushy” or “trapped” feeling but with enough sinking in and cradling that you get pressure relief and with enough “energy absorption” that motion is isolated

It would also help if you let me know which of the iComfort models was your favorite and where it fit in the order of things (I’m assuming that you listed the mattresses in your last post in order of best to worst) and what you liked and didn’t like in the mattresses you listed. From there it would be easier to see the patterns in your “favorite” choices.

Phoenix

Thank you. The iComfort we liked was the Indigo Point which would actually be a little more than the Natura. In terms of comfort, the Natura, iComfort and Englander Daisy are very close. An obvious advantage of the Englander is that we could get a king for still less than the queens size Natura or iComfort. The Englander also has a better warranty and comfort return policy. However, overall we do like the feel of the Natura the best. Of course it is very hard to get a sense of the sinking in without spending a night on it. Vermont Bedrooms (the store with the Natura) charges $50 to get a 30 day comfort guarantee.

Thanks again!
Glenn

Hi Glen,

The Indigo Point is actually a Simmons Comfort Pedic loft mattress rather than a Serta iComfort … however they certainly have some similarities. In particular, the Simmons is using 3.5 lb memory foam (low quality and subject to early breakdown) and also uses a very soft polyfoam support layer (24 ILD) which is much softer than a typical support layer which means that it may not do a great job keeping you in alignment. They do this because low-density memory foam allows you to feel the support layers underneath it much more easily and if they used a typical support layer firmness under this … the mattress may feel too firm. They do put a gel layer under the hips to help keep them up but this still wouldn’t make up for the deficiencies in the mattress IMO. I would probably buy a Costco mattress at half the price over this one.

That leaves you with the Natura and the Englander. Between the two of these … the Natura is IMO the better value only because the price you were quoted is lower than the norm.

The Natura has memory foam so you will sink “in” to the mattress more although this would be lessened by the layer of wool and polyfoam over the memory foam so it will feel firmer and the sinking in will take more time than if you were lying directly on the memory foam itself. The wool will also create a very breathable surface layer. The memory foam will soften over time though and you will sink more deeply into it when this happens as it is not as durable as latex. My biggest concern with this mattress would be alignment.

The Englander would have a firmer “on” the mattress feel as it has the quilted polyfoam (the quilting makes the polyfoam firmer) over the relatively softer (but firmer than memory foam) Dunlop latex over a firmer Dunlop core (which is all over a firmer polyfoam support base). This construction wouldn’t soften over time as much as the Natura but it also may not conform as well with your side sleeping positions because of the quilted polyfoam over the Dunlop latex in the comfort layer. My biggest concern with this mattress would be pressure relief.

If I was in your shoes … I would test each of these two mattresses specifically for pressure relief (with at least 10 minutes fully relaxed on your side on each mattress) and then make sure that your hips aren’t sinking in too far on either of them in any of your sleeping positions, especially on your stomach.

There are many of our members who make and ship mattresses anywhere across the country, many of which make latex or latex hybrid mattresses. All of them IMO offer better value than any of these (and offer the forum members here a minimum of 5% discount or a product bonus on their mattresses). All of the latex options could be made either softer than the Englander mattress (if you need it) or similar to it so your testing on these two can serve as a model for which layering would be best for you. They are …

https://www.mattresses.net/ Specializes in customizable 6" + 2" or 6" + 3" layering in either Talalay or Dunlop and side by side split construction is also available. Has a range of other options as well including organic Dunlop and a pocket coil/latex hybrid and can also do special orders of alternative layering on request. Has a zip cover so that the base layers can be exchanged if needed. Discount Code: MU5

http://www.baybed.com/ Specializes in a rather unique customized component mattress with latex layers of your choice over a high-quality pocket coil design for those who prefer a latex/innerspring hybrid. Has a zip cover so that layers and components can be exchanged after purchase.

www.mygreenmattress.com Specializes in 2 sided Talalay latex mattresses which are fully finished on both sides (no zip cover) as well as innerspring hybrids with natural fibers or latex. Can be chosen in soft medium or firm versions and has a 90-day comfort exchange if needed. The ability to flip a mattress will extend the life of even a latex mattress which is already longer lasting than other foams. (Note added later* This product was discontinued)Discount code: TMU125 or TMU15 for promotional sales

www.sleepez.com Specializes in component “choose your own layer” mattresses that offer either natural Dunlop or natural or blended Talalay latex with a wide range of layering options and thicknesses available. A 3" 5.5 lb Sensus memory foam layer can also be chosen instead of a 3" latex layer in mattresses with a 3" comfort layer. Side-by-side split is also available. They also offer several zip covers so layers can be exchanged.

https://www.cozypure.com/ Specialize in high-quality organic latex mattresses with a choice of layers and many custom choices including component latex mattresses. They also manufacture a wide range of organic accessories including toppers, mattress pads, and bedding at special discounts for those who have purchased a mattress. They are among the greenest and most eco-friendly manufacturers in all of North America and every product is as green, natural, or organic as it can be down to the last thread. They produce all their own power for their factory with wind, solar, and geothermal energy and would be of particular interest for those whose “value equation” includes buying from a natural, organic, and truly green manufacturer.

https://www.flobeds.com/ They are one of the original pioneer manufacturers of component latex mattresses where you can choose your own layers and have some unique designs. They use a 2" convoluted top layer in all of their latex mattresses and also offer a custom zoned vZone mattress where you can choose your own zones to customize support/alignment which is unique. They are very knowledgeable and take great care with their customers with their attention to detail and their customer service. They also make a line of latex/memory foam mattresses and some more premium mattresses that include some less commonly seen materials including coir and horsehair.

http://www.spindlemattress.com They make a component latex mattress that use continuous pour Dunlop latex from Mountaintop Foam using 100% natural Dunlop latex. Their mattresses are 3 layers of latex with a wool quilted zip cover and they also offer a comfort adjustment with a new layer for those who need it after purchase. Spindle itself is fairly new but the owner Neal is part of a mattress manufacturing family that has long-term and deep roots in the industry and is very knowledgeable about latex and mattresses in general. This is another great quality/value choice. Post #6 here and this thread have more comments and feedback about them. Discount code: phoenix

https://www.flexuscomfort.com/ Makes a range of good quality/value latex and innerspring mattresses including two-sided and latex hybrids and latex component “choose your own layer” mattresses that can be purchased locally or shipped across the country. They are knowledgeable and experienced and also offer layer exchanges for their component mattresses.

lumasleep.comMattresses. They sell 4 models – a 13" All-Latex Slumber mattress with a choice of comfort and two versions of latex/pocketed coil hybrid mattresses, each with a choice of comfort. Luma’s two-layer slumber system allows consumers to exchange the 3" Talalay comfort layer for free for up to one year after purchase. They are knowledgeable, experienced, and very transparent. One of the owners, former CEO Latex International (now Talalay Global) and several large US mattress manufacturing companies, has extensive experience in the US mattress industry. Discount code: TMU10

https://en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/ Canadian online retailer that sells a range of high-quality memory foam and latex mattresses and hybrids that use good quality materials including 4 and 5 lb memory foam, Energia 3 lb HR polyfoam, and high quality/density base foam as well as several Nature’s Embrace latex mattresses made by Renelle and low-cost HD polyfoam mattresses as well. They are good quality and value, provide good guidance over the phone, and can ship across Canada.

https://sleepingorganic.com/ Charleston, SC. Factory direct manufacturer. Sells component latex mattresses where you can choose your own layers using either 100% natural Dunlop (organic is also an option) or Talalay in 3" layers with your choice of ILD in each layer and a cotton/wool quilted organic zip cover. Brandon the owner is knowledgeable and transparent and they have good quality and value.

https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/ Fullerton, CA. Factory direct manufacturer. They sell component latex mattresses that you can choose between organic certified Dunlop latex or 100% natural Talalay layers with either two, three, four, or five 3" layers in your choice of firmness with organic cotton and wool quilted zip cover. Scott is the owner here and I have known him for several years and he is also very knowledgeable and experienced. He makes good quality and value mattresses and is the only manufacturer I know that sells 15" component latex mattresses with 5 layers. He has been selling mattresses for over 30 years and online for over 9 years. They provide a 6% discount to the forum members here. Discount code: MU6

Nest Bedding Mountain View, San Francisco, Berkeley, Los Angeles, CA. Mattresses made and partially owned by Brooklyn Bedding. They are knowledgeable, experienced, and transparent and carry several mattresses that they sell locally and online including an organic latex mattress, a latex/polyfoam hybrid, memory foam mattresses, a two-sided dual firmness latex/pocket coil hybrid, and memory foam/pocket coil hybrids (including two-sided) that all use high-quality materials. Joe, the owner left a larger manufacturer that had a somewhat exaggerated focus on “green” mattresses to form his own company because he wanted to “do it right”. Please see their Nest Bedding details for discount codes for various mattress lines (they will also match any other larger discount).

https://latexmattressfactory.com/ They make a 7" 100% natural Dunlop latex mattress with an organic cotton cover quilted with natural wool that is available in a range of different firmness levels. They also sell individual Dunlop latex layers and a stretch knit cover for those who wish to build their own DIY latex mattress. They are also knowledgeable and experienced and carry good quality/value products.

Some other Non-member options are:

www.kissmattress.com This is a relaunch (2018) by SleepEZ and is also one of the “simplified choice mattresses”. They have 4" flippable comfort layer with two firmness choices that is a combination of 2" NR Talalay latex and 2" Active Flo Foam (one of the newer generation of “high performance” polyfoams that are more breathable, faster responding, and less temperature-sensitive) on top of a 6" 2 lb polyfoam base layer and is also a very high quality/value choice. New Kiss mattress configuration added Jan 2018
For a bit of mattress designs variation …Reverie (not a member of TMU) is a US manufacturer that makes a unique line of latex mattresses that use latex cylinders for support that have multiple firmness options and which can be arranged in different patterns to create a zoning system that can customize support/alignment for different body types and sleeping positions both before and after a purchase. They use comfort layers that are a combination of latex and high-quality 2.3 lb or higher polyfoam. They also provide blueprints that show a diagram of the most common and effective arrangements for the cylinders.

tmasc.ca is a smaller sleep shop with stores in Edmonton and Calgary, AB. which specialize in high-quality premium mattresses and some very high-quality bedding products. They carry SleepTek and Greensleep customizable latex mattresses and Berkeley Ergonomics customizable pocket coil/microcoil/latex mattresses that they sell locally or ship across Canada. I have known Daniel one of the owners there for several years and they are exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful and have great integrity.

NovovosBed (Not a member of TMU) They have now introduced their new “simplified choice” memory foam mattress in Jan 2016 which replaces their previous lineup. They use good quality/density materials and their mattress comes in your choice of three different firmness levels that each have different memory foam densities and firmness levels (two HD 4 and/or 5 lb memory foam layers and a 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer). They also have an optional “comfort +” attachment in different firmness levels as well which uses 2 lb polyfoam which is a high-quality material and is an additional zip attachment to the mattress for those that need to soften up or firm up their original choice after their purchase.

Rocky Mountains sell two latex mattresses, one with a trizoned 6" Dunlop latex core and one with an additional 2" of Talalay latex on top with different ILD’s available. Also a wide choice of memory foam mattresses including several (in the component beds section of the site) with layers that can be re-arranged to customize the mattress either before or after purchase. They also make custom layered and sized mattresses to your specs as well. Added Note: The ownership changed sometime last year and some of the options listed here might not be available.

selectfoam.com They used to be a member of this site but their membership has been terminated and they are included here as a reference only. See the warning posted in this topic.

Sedona Sleep (Arizona Premium Mattress.) This is also one of the new breed of “simplified choice mattresses” and is a two-piece component system that is somewhat unique because it includes a separate finished “base mattress” that is made from 7" of 1.9 lb polyfoam which can be used by itself as a low-cost medium-firm mattress. It can also be used underneath an existing topper if you already have a topper and the mattress underneath it has developed soft spots or is sagging and needs to be replaced. The complete two-piece system also includes a 3" blended Talalay latex topper in your choice of 4 different firmness levels on top of the base mattress and they also provide the option for a split firmness topper so each side of the complete system can have its own firmness level (in queen and king sizes).

Note added later ~ Sedona Sleep was discontinued but we leave the reference here for the record & as a reference for those who own the mattress

SleepOnLatex Online only. They manufacture two 100% natural Dunlop latex mattresses that are different thicknesses (7" and 9") and that each come in three different firmness options. Both have a wool quilted organic cotton cover. They also sell latex toppers and mattress cores as well. They are knowledgeable and experienced and offer good quality/value products.
Between these manufacturers, most mattresses can be “approximated” in terms of pressure relief and alignment and firmness level or almost any needs and preferences can be met with the quality and value that is typically much better than anything available to those who don’t have a factory direct manufacturer or a good quality/value retailer within reasonable driving distance. They are also very good at discussing your local mattress testing and “translating” it into recommendations or suggestions about which of their mattresses have the best chance of working well for you.

So unless the mattresses you are testing locally have a really compelling value or the value of buying locally makes it worth spending the extra money and/or using lower-quality materials or construction … I would certainly speak with these once you have spent a bit more time on the Natura and the Englander just to “make sure” about the pressure relief and alignment.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix: Thank you again! I am worried about “sinking” in the Natura. The last couple of mornings I have found myself on my stomach when I wokr. I worry about “hammocking” in the memory foam. I also worry about buying a matress on-line that we are not able to actually lay on first. We are currently visiting my parents on Cape Cod and will be traveling home tomorrow which takes us through the Boston area and Manchester and Concord, NH. Are there any places you would recommend in these areas to look?

Thank you, Glenn

Hi Glenn,

There are a few places along the way but the best of them (to save you looking) would be …

Local factory direct manufacturer. I had a quick conversation with him and plan to talk with him further. Makes a range of latex including 2 sided and I could see even with a quick conversation that he was "mattress people. Has been making mattresses for a long time and seems to have very good value as well. Would be well worth a visit even if they are a little out of the way.

Local factory direct manufacturer. Makes a range of high quality latex mattresses including latex hybrids and has good customer feedback. Not the least expensive but high quality. Also well worth dropping in.

They are a bed and breakfast but carry Savvy Rest which are a “choose your own layer” latex mattress. I would certainly call first before going here as some outlets carry a wider range of options than others (normally carry Dunlop and Talalay in various firmness options). Great for testing latex layering and high quality but not the best value.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: worleybeds.com/default.asp| Archived Footprint 2: gardnermattress.com/| Archived Footprint 3:manta.com/c/mtd0snd/one-world-retreat

I would be “worrying” a bit about the alignment on the Natura as well … particularly with memory foam and stomach sleeping … not a great combination. An online purchase is not as difficult if you have tested mattresses and know the general layering you prefer and need as they are quite adept at working with their customers but I understand the hesitancy. With the two factory direct manufacturers on the list though … you have the best of both worlds … testing in person and good value.

These are the best I know of along the way. Have a good journey home :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix: Unfortunately, each of those were closed on Sunday. We did just go and try some additional Natura mattresses today. We went from one of these three to the other and just could not decide. All are now 20% off as they are eliminating Natura due to it often take up to 3 months to get an order from them. What are your thoughts on these three?

Harmony (2000 - 20%)

Quilt

Aloe Vera Ticking
2.3 lbs Pure NaturaWool
Natural Cotton Fire Barrier
1" Plant-based Quilt Foam

Topper
1" Convoluted Dunlop Latex - soft
2" Talalay Latex - soft
2" Talalay Katex - medium

Core
5" Plant-based foam

Solace Luxery (2699 - 20%)

Quilt

Cashmere Blend Ticking
4.2 lbs Pure NaturaWool

Topper
3-Zone, 2" Talalay Latex - soft
3-Zone, 2" Talalay Latex - medium

Core
4" All Natural Dunlop Latex
2" All Natural Coconut Coir

Solace Dual (1 side firm, 1 side plush) (2699 - 20%)

Quilt

Cashmere Blend Ticking
4.2 lbs Pure NaturaWool

Topper
3-Zone, 4" Talalay Latex - firm

Core
4" All Natural Dunlop Latex
2" All Natural Coconut Coir

I felt the best pressure relief on the Solace Luxery and Harmony, but felt like the best alignment may have been the firm of the Solace Dual. I liked the “feel” of either the Harmony or Luxery best, but realize that I need to be concerned about alignment as well. Any advice you could give on our dilemma is greatly appreciated! I don’t know how much more we could lay on these and have any better idea of which is best.

Thank you again! Glenn

Hi Glenn,

That’s a shame that they were closed as both of them would have had great choices and good value (better than the Natura sale prices … (particularly Worley who makes a 2 sided all latex queen in roughly the same range as the Harmony on sale).

Did both of you get to test the Naturas?

Based on your comments …

The Harmony has about 3" of soft latex and an inch of quilting. It’s in the ball park but probably a little on the thick side for both of you. In your case because of your back and stomach sleeping … in your wife’s case because she probably won’t need something that thick on top.

The Luxury has a lot of wool on top which may compress over time (even though its tufted) and firm up your latex. It has 3" of soft foam on top (2" talalay and an inch of polyfoam) and because this seemed OK for pressure relief it would be better. Both the comfort layer and the middle layer are zoned which would help slightly with keeping the hips up and alignment. The Core is listed on the Natura site as being Talalay not Dunlop but either way it would be firmer and with the Coir under it would provide a firm lower layer. Overall I would vote for this one as the best model.

The Solace Dual would likely be too firm for side sleeping for most people on the firm side.

I think your experience is saying you are right in the range of “average” recommendations if you were to go the online route and the worst case is that in the unlikely event that it wasn’t quite right … a single layer exchange would be all that you would need. I’d be interested though how she also felt about the 3 choices and if her experience was similar to yours.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix: My wife preferred to Luxery, but was fine with either. It is interesting that you mentioned it possibly getting firmer over time as my fear was the opposite. I was afraid that if it felt kind of soft now, that I might “sink” over time when side sleeping.

Do you feel these prices are reasonable with the 20% off? Exchange is not an option as all sales are final on the Naturas.

Thank you, Glenn

Hi Glenn,

While all foam including latex will soften over time … latex will soften considerably less than polyfoam or memory foam which is one of the reasons it is so durable. When there is a thick layer of wool or other natural fibers over the latex … it tends to compress over time which makes it firmer and reduces the ability of the latex underneath to take on your body shape and relieve pressure. While certain types of construction can reduce this (such as tufting), the tendency is still there. Many manufacturers are using thick circular knits without quilting over latex (especially softere latex) for this reason but without wool … other methods of fire retardency need to be included in the mattress (Natura uses wool in combination with Borax for fire retardancy).

There is more information about the effect of wool and quilting in post #87 here

In terms of the Natura’s value … it is good compared to normal Natura pricing but Natura pricing as a whole is quite high (although it is a quality mattress) and 20% off still doesn’t put it in the same value range as most independent manufacturers either local or online IMO.

Having said that … there is always something to be said for buying a mattress which you have tested for pressure relief and alignment even if the price is higher. “All sales are final” though means that there would be no chance to adjust your mattress if your longer term sleeping experience was different from your testing while with an online DIY purchase you retain the ability to make adjustments if necessary and the “value” in terms of materials and price would be significantly better.

As I mentioned in the post about quilting though … everything involves tradeoffs and the components that make up “value” are different for different people depending on what is most important for each person.

Phoenix

Phoenix: In post #21 you compare the Natura to the Englander that I listed in #18. Which of the two Englanders were you talking about? Are your thoughts any different between the two?

Thank you, Glenn