latex mattress

Hi. I have been trying out a latex mattress and want to know your take. I found a product that is made from mountain top Dunlop and is layered as 6" C3 base with a 3" C2 and a 2" Co. It is marketed as a softer and firmer side. if I sleep on the firm and the softer sides are on bottom, will it compromise the integrity of the softer sides over time? The latex is glued together and so one would just flip the entire bed

I’m needing a bed with options because I am princess and the pea. I sleep best on my back on like a medium/firm but if I ever hurt it, I roll to my side. On my side, it becomes too firm and bursitis kicks in. I need somewhat med/firmer for back which is predominant but also soft enough for hips. I’m a little worried that the C0 soft layer may too soft all night on my back but at my weight, I’m probably bottoming out to the c2 medium base (weight 215 height 5;6’") and have that support?

If too soft, I could put a topper on the firm side and see how it works with the softer side underneath. Again, will this hurt integrity of bed?

Other option is to go with a medium bed of like a 3" base of C2, 6" middle of C3 and 3" top of C3. Add topper if needed. What in your opinion is going to give me more options when my body flares and goes through vicious cycles. Many Thanks
Carter

Hi Carter,

[quote]Hi. I have been trying out a latex mattress and want to know your take. I found a product that is made from mountain top Dunlop and is layered as 6" C3 base with a 3" C2 and a 2" Co. It is marketed as a softer and firmer side. if I sleep on the firm and the softer sides are on bottom, will it compromise the integrity of the softer sides over time? The latex is glued together and so one would just flip the entire bed

I’m needing a bed with options because I am princess and the pea. I sleep best on my back on like a medium/firm but if I ever hurt it, I roll to my side. On my side, it becomes too firm and bursitis kicks in. I need somewhat med/firmer for back which is predominant but also soft enough for hips. I’m a little worried that the C0 soft layer may too soft all night on my back but at my weight, I’m probably bottoming out to the c2 medium base (weight 215 height 5;6’") and have that support?

Hi. I have been trying out a latex mattress and want to know your take. I found a product that is made from mountain top Dunlop and is layered as 6" C3 base with a 3" C2 and a 2" Co. It is marketed as a softer and firmer side. if I sleep on the firm and the softer sides are on bottom, will it compromise the integrity of the softer sides over time? The latex is glued together and so one would just flip the entire bed

If too soft, I could put a topper on the firm side and see how it works with the softer side underneath. Again, will this hurt integrity of bed?[/quote]

Your mattress would be more typical of a one sided design with progressively softer layers from the bottom to the top so I’m not sure it is really meant to be a two sided mattress with the firmer side on the top. If the fabric on the bottom is suitable for sleeping on (the bottom of a one sided mattress often has a different fabric than the top that is stiffer and isn’t really meant for sleeping on) and you sleep well on the mattress upside down (either with or without a topper) then it should be fine but the layering would be unusual and you would end up with a mattress that had much firmer comfort layers that may not provide you with good pressure relief you need and much softer deep support layers that may not provide you with the primary support that you need … especially for your weight.

There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

The only way to know for sure whether either side will be a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or whether you will sleep well on either side will be based on careful testing (hopefully following the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or on your own personal sleeping experience.

It certainly wouldn’t be my first choice if you are planning to use the firmer side as your primary sleeping system.

This would be a more typical design for a two sided mattress with different firmness comfort layers on each side and the firmer support core in the middle and would be my choice vs the first combination you mentioned. As you mentioned if the softer side wasn’t soft enough then you can always add a topper and this would avoid having a very soft layer on the bottom of your mattress that could compromise primary support. Again though the only way to know whether this would be suitable for you in terms of PPP would be based on careful testing or your own personal sleeping experience.

Phoenix