Latex mattress

I have just watched a video from Sleep Essentials on YouTube. Does anyone have any experience with their 100% Natural (sap from the tree) Dunlap 9" mattress? They claim Talalay latex is about 70% synthetic and 30% natural latex, any truth to this? I was pretty impressed and I think their prices are less than Savvy Rest and Naturpedic who do may not use 100% natural latex throughout.
I’ve spent at least 100 hours doing research - this is such a large investment and one does spend 25% of their life in bed.
I was going to go with Memory foam but after this video I’m sold on the non fire retardant options. I have allergies and I’m in a clinical trial for renal cell cancer., I don’t need any more chemicals, especially carcinogenic ones! Any other options you can think of?
P.S. I love this forum!
PSS. I’m doing great in the clinical trial!
Thank you so much even though most of the time I I shut down more confused then when I started. It’s such a hidden mirror game!

Hi LibbyMark,

I would question some of the information on their videos some of which is inaccurate or very misleading and somewhat extreme, particularly about needing a prescription to eliminate “chemical” fire barriers but also about some of the other information that they include as well.

Both Dunlop and Talalay latex can be made with either natural rubber or synthetic rubber or a combination of both. There is more about some of the differences between Talalay and Dunlop latex in post #7 here and there is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

All of the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable safety certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold (see post #2 here) and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

I would also read some of the comments and links that are included in post #2 here which deal with many of your questions and concerns. Forum searches on Sleepessentials or on perfectlatexmattress or specific term site searches on Sleep Essentials or on Perfect Latex Mattress (you can just click the links) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

They do use good quality latex in their mattresses (100% natural Dunlop) but I would make some careful “value” comparisons because their prices are also more costly than some of the other similar component mattresses that are sold by other manufacturers.

There is also a great deal more information in post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials and components that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, beliefs, and lifestyle choices.

If you are considering online latex mattresses then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them sell latex mattresses (including component mattresses) that use different types and blends of latex (Talalay and Dunlop) that have a wide range of different designs (including component latex mattresses), options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that may be well worth considering.

If you are also interested in local options then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

[quote]P.S. I love this forum!
PSS. I’m doing great in the clinical trial!
Thank you so much even though most of the time I I shut down more confused then when I started. It’s such a hidden mirror game! [/quote]

Thanks for the kind comments … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about the health challenges you are facing but it’s good to hear that you are doing well!

Phoenix

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ve been going through each of your listed membership companies and have found vast differences in pricing, many lower than the original company I questioned you about! My zip code is 19073. I would appreciate being able to do a PPP at a real store before deciding if I want to purchase online. One more question: do you think there is much of a difference between getting a configuration of 3"+ 6" as opposed to a few various sized layers? One company does a “butterfly” cut where they cut the head to midsection into 3 layers instead of 1. Just marketing or a real,benifit?

Hi LibbyMark,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Philadelphia/Wilmington/Trenton areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meet the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

There is more about the pros and cons of a single 6" core vs two separate 3" layers in post #2 here.

What you are describing is called zoning where a mattress is designed with different firmness levels under different areas of the body.

While zoning may not be as important with latex (see post #7 here) even with latex zoning systems can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your careful testing and personal experience.

Phoenix