Latex Mattress

Hi,

I’ve been reading this forum and website since my wife and I are looking for a new mattress. Lots of great info! We are upgrading to a king from a queen sized Ikea mattress, which is really awful. We are very conscious about environmental issues and came across latex mattresses in our search for an eco-friendly option. We were really interested in Savvy Rest and are lucky enough to live close enough to a store that carries them. We tried them out and really liked the 10" model with the 3x 3" layers, but the price is really high (about $4,000). Reading through this forum I came across the SleepEZ 10000 which seems to be similar, but at almost half the cost. I spoke with SleepEZ on the phone today and they said they are similar to Savvy Rest, but has anyone tried the same setup on both mattress and felt much of a difference? I liked F, M, S (top layer talalay) and my wife liked F, M, S (all dunlop). I would get the organic model and right now it comes with free sheets and pillows.

I was planning on getting our mattress protector from CozyPure. I was looking at the Pebble Pique Organic Cotton stretch protector. Has anyone had experience with this protector?

As for the bed frame, I found a local saw mill that has untreated, reclaimed wood that I plan on using to build our own custom platform bed with.

Am I correct in thinking that this is all I need for a complete bed (mattress, sheets, pillows, protector, frame) or am I missing something? I don’t believe I need a foundation if I have a platform bed. I am still looking for an organic comforter, but that isn’t as important right now. This setup should allow me to create an organic, chemical free bed for under $3,000.

Hi cmoore09,

There is more about how Savvy Rest compares to SleepEZ in post #4 here.

If you are comparing two mattresses that use the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness and they both have a very similar cover then they will also be very closely comparable in terms of feel, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences). There are many members here that have purchased a SleepEZ mattress using the layering combination that they tested with Savvy Rest that was very closely comparable.

A forum search on SleepEZ Savvy Rest (you can just click the link) will also bring up many more forum posts that mention both of them as well.

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Hopefully some of the members here that own one will see your post and share their comments about it but in the meantime there are some comments from Cheryl at Cozy Pure about their protector in post #12 here and some feedback about them from forum members here and here and here and here and here.

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet. If your platform bed has slats that are 3" or less apart then you wouldn’t need a foundation.

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here and under the section for slatted platform beds there are several DIY designs that you may find useful as a blueprint.

Phoenix

Wow, thank you for all the information! I’m going to read through all of this before making a final decision. I’ll be sure to post what our final setup ends up being.

Hi cmoore09,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix