Latex Mattresses in Central Pa

Hi! This is my first forum post and I hope my question is ok to post here! :slight_smile: I live in a rural area near State College, Pennsylvania and am wondering if there are any stores in my area or in Pittsburgh (we have traveled there before to the Original Mattress Factory) that sell or make latex beds? I am interested in testing out the feel of a latex mattress. I have considered purchasing a mattress from Amazon, but know I need to test the feel of latex before purchasing. I am also considering purchasing a locally made innerspring mattress if latex is too hard to find. Suggestions on a good manufacturer are greatly appreciated! I had back surgery recently and also moved. We have a new, king bed frame without a mattress and my husband and I would like to use it. Thanks again!

Hi mnmeater,

The better possibilities and closest local manufacturers to you I’m aware of in the State College area are listed in post #2 here.

The Pittsburgh list is in post #2 here.

Just in case you haven’t already … it would also be well worth reading post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

Thank you for your response. I have had health issues recently, so getting out to look at a mattress has been hard. I called the
Room Doctor in State College and they are the only place around with Latex mattresses. They carry the Natura and Savvy Rest brands and said that the Naturas are on sale, so I will head over soooon! I will check the reviews on these brands before I go to test. I also am wondering what you would say about my husband and my sleeping preferences and body types? He is a side sleeper, about 6’1" and 225 and I am a back sleeper , 5’6" and about 150. Quite a difference! :slight_smile: When we have been shopping, both of us prefer softer mattresses with pillowtops that conform to our bodies, but with a supportive feel underneath. However, since we are the way we are and both sleep differently, do you have any suggestions when we shop for a latex mattress? I am wondering if with his weight, a firmer mattress might be better with a topper (that we can replace over time) might be a good choice. I am considering ordering the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop on Amazon. Thanks again!

Hi mnmeater,

As you can see from post #4 here and post #14 here and this video … I would put much more emphasis on knowing what was inside the mattress than I would on reviews which is not a good way to evaluate the quality, value, or suitability of a mattress for your specific needs and preferences.

The first part of post #2 here talks about some of the ways that can accommodate needs and preferences that are very different but much more important than “theory” is to connect with people who have the knowledge and experience to give you good help and guidance … and if you are looking locally … good and objective mattress testing for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

A topper can be a good idea in some circumstances but it would be a good idea to test the specific combination of a mattress and topper because choosing a topper that you haven’t tried in combination with the specific mattress you own can be almost as challenging as buying a mattress.

If you have done some good local testing so that you have a good idea of the types of mattresses you prefer and do best with … then online choices like the Ultimate Dreams can be a good option and like all the members here they are great quality and value but in your circumstances where buying a suitable mattress would be much more important than cost alone … I would probably lean towards one of the models where you can exchange the comfort layer or have other options to make adjustments in case you make a mistake in your comfort choice. When your circumstances are more challenging … the best possible balance between pressure relief and alignment is particularly important and having some options after the sale can be an important part of value.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Central PA is a difficult area to find and try mattresses. My sister and I traveled from Paoli to Hellertown and then to Pottstown this past Friday. I had already been to Gardner’s(Pure Latex Bliss) in Lancaster. We tried Green Sleep, OMI, Cozy Rest, the Organic Mattress Store brands, and what Mark had available at Magic Sleeper. It was very difficult to “put together” the right feel as no one has “layers” available to rearrange and try out. Mark at Pottstown Magic Sleeper appears to be headed in that direction, but they are not there yet. I believe he has great potential in his factory if he eventually provides more products (ILDs) in different size layers.

I wanted to let you know that after about four calls to Arizona, I placed my order today with Ken. I didn’t feel there was any comparison (except local service) with the variety of products he has, his knowledge and recommendations, and his prices. I just hope that I am on the right track as ordering a mattress online is a first for me. Watching his video online of assembling a mattress took a lot of my trepidation away, and I decided to go with Arizona. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me he now has his mattress delivery down to two weeks! I actually had to ask him to hold mine for a couple days. After reading the comments on MU, I was prepared to wait 3 or more weeks for delivery.

Thanks to you, Phoenix, for your very quick responses to my questions. It has been a pleasure going through all this information and reading about others’ challenges and successes. I also have a potential buyer for my Tempurpedic, which is making this mattress switch a little less painful.

Best wishes to all who are still searching. Be sure to take a minute and call Ken at Arizona (www.mattresses.net). This company really is top notch. PS Look Arizona up on a computer, not a mobile device, as the regular site may have more products.

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for taking the time to write some terrific feedback about your experiences!

I think you did some good research so you were familiar with the effect of different types of latex mattress layering and designs and then used your testing to make a great choice with the help of your conversations with a high quality and value manufacturer based on the specifics of your “personal value equation”. This is exactly the goal of this site :slight_smile:

It’s also great news that you may be able to sell your Tempurpedic which would make everything even sweeter yet.

Most of all though … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it (sooner now with the shorter waiting times) and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix