Latex mattresses near Burlington, Ontario

Hello Phoenix, My husband and I came close to purchasing a Kingsdown mattress when I found your site. After spending many hours over the past week, I’ve realized that this isn’t the mattress for us and we are looking for a latex mattress. I see that both Dormio and Ideal mattress are listed as good places to look. I’ve called both and got some great information about the options available with transparency on the thickness and composition of the layers. I plan to visit Dormio tomorrow. My issue is price. It seems that we would need to spend in the 3000+ range for a mattress and foundation. We had hoped to spend in the range of 2000.

I called a couple of other spots mentioned on the site and found that The Mattress Discounter in Burlington offers the Dreamstar Natural Escapes latex mattress for less than 2000. Unfortunately, I can’t find specs on the latex on the Dreamstar website. I’ve searched the forum for the Natural Escapes mattress but didn’t find anything. Do you have any knowledge of this mattress?

The posts that I found for retailers that carry latex mattresses around the Burlington area (Mississauga, Hamilton. Toronto) were from 2012. If I’ve missed a more recent post with information on retailers in my area, could you please direct me to it?

Your site is an excellent resource. Thank you!

Hi Grace878,

Although it would depend to some degree on the size you are looking for … it’s unlikely that you will find an “all latex” mattress and a foundation that retails for $2000 or less in Canada (especially now with the current exchange rates).

As far as I know the Dreamstar Natural Escape mattresses has a 6" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core with a 4" Talalay latex comfort layer and a cover that is quilted with wool and 1" of polyfoam. The specs without the polyfoam density are also listed here. It’s a latex/polyfoam hybrid which of course would be less costly than an all latex mattress. There is more about latex/polyfoam hybrids vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here. It may also be possible to customize the density of the base layer as well. Any knowledgeable retailer that carries it should be able to confirm that the specs are correct.

A forum search on Natural Escape will bring up more comments and feedback about it and I think the reason your search didn’t find any results is because you had an “s” at the end of escape.

This is probably the post you’ve already seen but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Southwest Ontario area that would include Burlington (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #8 here.

I keep the forum lists up to date and edit them as I become aware of new information and the last update to the Southwest Ontario list was on Feb 9th, of this year.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, Thanks for your quick reply. We are going to increase our budget to get the right mattress for us. I was impressed with both Ideal Mattress and Dormio in Mississauga.

At Ideal, a custom queen mattress with an 8", 2.8 lb polyfoam base plus 3" and then 1" Dunlop latex in our choice of firmness with an organic cotton/wool cover would be 2500. All latex with the same layering would be 3000. Custom sides, additional 1" comfort layers, polyfoam edges (can be 3.25 lb) are all available for an additional cost as labour is increased. My husband and I would need to customize our sides so that would likely add 250-500 to our cost. A custom made box spring is $600. A standard box spring in the $200 range would also be an option. I was very impressed by the quality workmanship.

At Dormio, we were also impressed. An added value is the completely organic or natural quality. The 2 queen mattresses we narrowed it down to were:

The Stratus: $2999
3, 3" layers of Dunlop latex (firm, med, soft) plus a 2" layer of extra soft. Each side in customizable in the layering to achieve the right comfort for each person. The removable cover is organic cotton quilted to Organic Wool and Alplaca blend. This is supposed to be good for breathability and temperature regulation.

The Dolce Vita: $2698
6" latex core (med or firm), 2’ medium latex, 2" soft latex, 1" organic wool covered by an organic cotton cover. To customize each side would be an additional $150.

Both mattresses require a $600 foundation (we don’t have a suitable platform). A current promotion would add free sheets to The Strata and free sheets and pillows to the Dolce Vita.

Our Mattress Underground discount of 5% would come off of these prices :slight_smile:

If you have any thoughts on these options, please share them. Thank you!

I checked some of the online websites briefly but couldn’t easily find prices. I will do some more research tomorrow but if you have a specific Canadian site that deals in latex at your fingertips, I’d appreciate the link. I’d just like to do a price comparison now that I feel that I could potentially be comfortable purchasing online.

I can’t thank you enough for the education I have received from this site. My husband and I plan to spread the word. We can’t believe we almost bought at a big box store. I know that no matter which of these options we go with, we will soon be sleeping well!

Hi Grace878,

This would be somewhat similar in terms of the design (4" of latex and a polyfoam support core with a cover that includes wool in the quilting) and the durability of the materials to the Dreamstar mattress you were also considering and neither one of them have any lower quality materials that would be a weak link in the mattress relative to more average weight ranges. If you are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) that would sink into the polyfoam support core more deeply then I would give an advantage to the Ideal mattress because of the higher density polyfoam in the base layer.

Of course they could each be quite different in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and in terms of their ability to customize the design which could also be an important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

There is also more about the pros and cons of a polyfoam/latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Since all of these mattresses are “all latex” … there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them and assuming that none of them are close to the edge of the comfort/support range that would be too soft for you (see post #2 here) … they would all be closely comparable in terms of durability and the useful life of each of them.

If you are also open to an online purchase then some of the better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada (which include latex hybrid and all latex mattresses) are listed in post #21 here that may also be worth considering either as a purchase or in terms of making good “value” comparisons.

You are certainly looking at some very good options and once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components or different types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, Thanks again for your quick reply. I had another restless night on our old mattress. I find myself awake for hours in the middle of the night unable to find a comfortable position until my husband gets up at 5. I am usually able to find a couple hours of quality sleep once I have the bed to myself. I know that a new mattress will help this but am also left wondering if we should invest in a king size bed. I know this comes down to personal preference but thought I’d ask in case you had any thoughts on this based on years of hearing from people.

I am 5’6" and 145 lbs and my husband is 6’1" and 190 lbs and we are both in our 40s. . I have some hip and shoulder pain from a couple of althletic injuries. He has lower back pain from a previous work injury. It’s not debilitating but is an important factor. Our current mattress does not have a comfort layer to help with pressure points or the support layer for his lumbar region. That will change with the new mattress.

My husband prefers a queen (usually I would too) but will go with a king if that’s what I need. We just recently purchased bedroom furniture for the first time so giving up the bed frame is a consideration. Our costs would also increase by 1000+ with the models we’re looking at. This would take us to over double our original budget. We’re both in agreement that a good sleep is worth investing in but want to be wise at the same time.

Thank you!

Hi Grace878,

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Even if your current mattress is only a single slab of foam … the top few inches of your mattress would “act” as a comfort layer and the deeper part of your mattress would “act” as the support core even if they aren’t individual layers. For some people a mattress that only has a single slab of foam is all they need. You can also add a topper to a mattress if you need some additional softness and pressure relief.

If your husband’s movements are what is keeping you awake then having more space may be helpful but the size of your mattress would be strictly a preference issue that only you can really decide (see post #2 here).

Phoenix