Latex mattresses

Wondering if 100% organic is worth the cost. Is it a lot of hype? Should we all be worried about traditional materials that use petroleum, etc
Has anyone heard or bought from Cozy Pure in Virginia? They sound reputable but it would be good to hear if anyone has made a purchase and what the experience has been.
Thanks for any and all I formation!

Hi Sleepless in bflo,

This is a much more complex question than you may realize.

It also depends on how important an organic certification is for you for personal reasons and which parts of the mattress have an organic certification or even if the entire mattress is certified as “organic” (and there are very few that are).

The issue of an organic certification is also not the same as the separate issue of the safety of the materials in a mattress.

For those that are interested in the complex issues of “mattress safety” or who may have a different answer to the question of “how safe is safe enough for me?” than most people then post #2 here is a good place to begin your research.

There is also more about organic certifications for latex in post #6 here and organic certifications as a whole in post #2 here.

For most people though … making sure that the materials in a mattress have been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s and have a credible certification as being “safe” such as CertiPur (mostly used for polyfoam or memory foam) or Oeko-Tex (mostly used for latex) would be “safe enough”.

The only latex that is “GOLS certified organic” is 100% natural Dunlop but there is little to no difference between latex that 100% natural Dunlop or the same material that has an organic certification in terms of quality or performance although the certification does add to the cost of the material.

Cozy Pure is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them (and Cheryl the owner) and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service. You can see some of my thoughts about them in post #11 here and a forum search on Cozy Pure (you can just click this) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

I have discovered Jamestowm mattress (in my area) produces organic mattresses. Jim was incredibly knowledgeable and forthcoming with information.
Question: I am now, after a lot of research, vascillating between Cozy Pure and Jamestown. Would you say these two businesses are pretty equal in terms of their organic products or does CP have the edge? Also is it best to buy a 6" latex core followed by 3" and possibly 1.5" latex or is it best to do 3 3" pieces of latex and be able to change if needed? help! The confusing world of mattresses is bogging my mind down! It’s difficult for me to make that large a purchase if I don’t try out the product but not able to get to Virginia to see Cozy Pure.
Thanks for sorting through this underground world!

Hi Sleepless in bflo,

That would really depend on the specifics of all the materials and components in each mattress you were comparing and on the “organic” criteria that were most important to you or on how you define organic. I think that Cozy Pure puts a little more emphasis on having all natural or organic materials and components in every part of their mattress (down to the thread used in the cover) because this is their specialty and they also put more emphasis into “green” manufacturing (using alternative sources of electricity) and only use natural or organic materials in their factory but the only way to know with any certainty would be to compare every material and component used in the two mattresses you are comparing.

They also have different designs and options in their mattresses so which one would be the best choice for you would really depend on everything that was part of each mattress purchase, how you feel about buying locally vs online, return or exchange policies, and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important for you.

Once you are down to final choices between “good and good” and there are no clear winners it usually ends up depending on smaller differences between them and on which one you are most comfortable dealing with and purchasing from for reasons that are unique to you.

I think highly of both of them.

Phoenix