Latex: Nature's Sleep in Canada?

I’ve hesitated too, and perhaps I’m glad I did. There’s a bit of a “too-good-to-be-true” worry in me. At first he seemed to dodge telling me what was in his beds other than saying “latex”. When I pressed and asked about Dunlop vs talalay, he said “whichever I want”… same price. When I asked about how many layers, it was “whatever I want”… same price. Then when I asked him to tell me exactly what company my talalay latex would come from, he seemed really unable to provide me that. I pressed and said either I know where it comes from, or I move on… I said, “for example, if it is Latex International latex or Radium, then you should be proud of that and let me know. If its not, just let me know what it is so I can do some research”. His response was actually kind of assuring, but then we get back to “too good to be true”. He told me that I could have “international latex” [sic] if I want… same price. I sent another email asking, “if by ‘international latex’, you mean Latex International, the company based in Connecticut that manufacturers talalay latex, then we can do business”. He responded indicating that’s what he meant, and he’d even show me the invoice to prove it.

But something still has me saying, “hmmm”. His claim is that the margins on latex beds are so high that it really doesn’t matter what goes in it, he’s making money. If that’s true, then fair enough. But if he’s telling you you’re buying one thing and putting in another… well…

So which is the case?

I emailed Latex International asking if there was anything particular about their latex that I could confirm, once its in my hands, that it is their product. Markings, tell-tale patterns, etc. No response yet. I think if there’s no way I could confirm it comes from them, then I won’t chance this transaction.

One other “fishy” statement he made: he claims he moves over 500 latex mattresses PER WEEK. How in the world could he be that busy and successful, yet he is the guy that answers the phone EVERY TIME, and he has the time to spend hour+ on the phone? I mean, that’s great customer service and all… just seems like either he’s not as busy as he says, or he’s got a time machine in the back. Or, I suppose, its possible he just has a super well-managed company and chooses to put his own time directly into customer sales calls while delegating the rest of the operation to others.

Bottom line, for me, is that trust becomes an important element when faced with the awkward proposition of purchasing something like a mattress online. Its not like you can just “send it back” if you’re not happy with it. At the very least, there’s rather huge shipping charges. It isn’t like the US where UPS ground is reasonably priced. I don’t think the online shopping model works here (Canada) for mattresses without an extremely high degree of confidence that you’re buying the item you want. And that’s difficult enough with mattresses without feeling uneasy about who you’re buying from.

That said… I’m screwed either way. I don’t trust my local store either after having extensive discussions with him. Things went sour quickly the last time I was in there. I think I annoyed him once I didn’t buy on my 2nd visit and came back with more research and questions. So I don’t want to buy from him either. And he’s the only one that fits this site’s criteria (ie. no big box names and no big name mattresses).

I am very close to just giving up, going to Sleep Country and buying a mid-low end bed (Restwell Haylee, pocket coil with some memory foam for $730) simply because my wife and I “liked it” twice. That is, we went into two different stores (both sleep country) and chose the same bed in both stores as one we liked. I’ve gotten to the point that all this research has left me well informed, but confused. And the options just don’t seem to exist where I am.

Sad :frowning: I haven’t had a good sleep in months.

The plot thickens… Too good to be true?

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/345-york-region/deals/769766-organic-mattresses-4-sizes?afsrc=1&utm_campaign=personalized&utm_content=345-york-region&utm_medium=email&utm_source=blast

I am also in the market for a latex mattress but am hesitant to pull the trigger when I came across this thread… Let me know if anyone goes through with it… Sale lasts for 7 days!

azureSleeping

Hi azuresleeping,

A mattress is only as good as the suitability of the design for your needs and preferences and the quality of the construction and materials inside it regardless of the brand name on the label so from that perspective it may be very good quality/value.

There are also many people who are very unhappy with their purchase from companies run by the same person and some of the “coupon” deals that were involved (groupon and others) so I would strongly suggest a goodle search on “nasafoam” … particularly some of the review and forum sites about them … before making a purchase. No matter what the quality or value of the mattress, the entire purchase and delivery process itself is important and while I “want to like them” based on my conversations with them … based on an internet search of their history I would suggest caution.

Phoenix

Oh I am so happy to not be in this mattress search alone!

I currently own a 8 yr old Sealy posturepedic from sleepcounrty
It was noisey after 2 & uncomfortable after 6 but now completely unbearable

I want to go more natural as I have become more sensitive to smells
Latex would be great as my husband loves that squishy sink in feeling

I have 4 small children-2 of which I will need to purchase mattresses for in the next year
So the feeling of- I just need something good from good people at a good price… :woohoo:
so I never have to do this again for 20 years until I have time to lie down & actually shop for a mattress

I know others must feel this way & I didn’t want to be the one to just go to the local wherever
then because I’m tired & have little time buy the first thing that feels better
Then have a headache from the smell
Then have to replace 5 mattresses in 5 years ( crazy but true)

My postal code is N0J 1G0 as I said small town

I appreciate this so much
Thank you

From my (limited) experience… latex does not = " squishy sink in feeling". That’s memory foam.

Hi sherren,

The first place to start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices.

As bcsteeve mentioned … latex is a fast response foam so while it can have a “squishy” feeling in soft versions and you certainly will sink in to some degree (depending on the firmness of the latex) it’s important to make sure you are not thinking of the slow response feel of memory foam which is very different (see post #2 here)

Some of the better options I’m aware of in your general area are listed in post #2 here. There is also some feedback from the area in this thread.

I would also be aware that all foam materials including latex will usually have an initial smell but if the materials are certified (which all the latex you will encounter has been) then it has been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s and the smell is not harmful and will dissipate.

Phoenix

PS: I switched your post and the replies to a new thread which can help me keep track of different topics.

Thank you for all your help.
It will take me a while but I’m determined to test out loads of beds
I will let you know what happens

I laugh now at the squishy as it was never appealing to me
but my husband likes things soft but anything will feel softer than our current mattress
I thought latex would appease us both

The smell thing is crazy right! I think I’m crazy but I swear my couch gives me a headache

I am really greatful for the links about the children
I was thinking a lot of the same things
but now I know that firmness really is important & glad that a basic latex will work well

Thank you for all the diligence & caring you put into this
Take care Phoenix
Ill be sure to update

Hi Sherren,

It’ always a good idea to take your time and I’m looking forward to your feedback about your experiences … and of course any questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your input. Can you link me to some of the negative feedback you mention regarding this same person? I searched for Nature’s Sleep and only found this thread. Also, based on the link I provided for the Lavender Latex mattress, has there been past claims that this mattress is not 100% latex and that it contains nasafoam?

Don’t try so hard to believe a good deal is a good deal :slight_smile:

I don’t think anyone said that mattress was or wasn’t 100% latex or that it has anything to do with nasafoam. The “read between the lines” that YOU, as a consumer, are responsible for… is that the purveyor of these goods is the same who’s reputation is perhaps tainted from past dealings.

I personally have come to the conclusion that I can’t trust this company and, more specifically, the person running it. That was my own opinion derived from my personal conversations with the man, and reinforced by the evidence showing he has some ties with controversial past dealings.

Should you come to the same conclusion? That’s up to you. But try not to be too enamoured with a price to the point that you ignore indicators that suggest you should proceed with caution, if at all.

Hi azuresleeping,

Nasafoam is the name of a company not the name of a material in a mattress and a google search on “Nasafoam reviews” will bring up some of the information I and others are referring to … particularly in some of the reviews and threads in several forums that discuss them in connection with coupon “deals”.

Again … each person needs to make their own decisions but as bcsteeve mentioned I would proceed with caution and use “best judgement”.

Phoenix

Has anyone purchased from naturessleep.ca??I am seeing this deal and its hard to pass up… please help with some advise.

Hi, Im sorry you have totally misunderstood our conversation,

Yes i am involved with many companies, although with regards to Natures Sleep the only products we carry is Latex, Dunlop and Talalay.

Thanks
George

Hi Pheonix,

Hope your well, firstly natural bedding, sonno, maverick and some others are independent dealers, of my products…
Take Care
George

Good Day, BCSTEVE,

Firstly to clear the air, the negative feedback on line from (2011 − 2012) you are referring to has nothing to do with natures sleep.
Yes a dealer had arranged a sale thru Kijiji daily deals (they are no longer in business as they have shut down that end of kijiji)

to make a long story short no consumer who purchased that deal got their product. why Kijiji deals didn’t pay me for the merchandise and after 2 months of waiting for payment , i called the deal off for breach of contract for non payment.

any business would do the same thing, so in that case don’t believe everything you read!

Cheers
George

?

[quote="Natures Sleep Canada " post=23391]Good Day, BCSTEVE,

Firstly to clear the air, the negative feedback on line from (2011 − 2012) you are referring to has nothing to do with natures sleep.
Yes a dealer had arranged a sale thru Kijiji daily deals (they are no longer in business as they have shut down that end of kijiji)

to make a long story short no consumer who purchased that deal got their product. why Kijiji deals didn’t pay me for the merchandise and after 2 months of waiting for payment , i called the deal off for breach of contract for non payment.

any business would do the same thing, so in that case don’t believe everything you read!

Cheers
George[/quote]

You wrote that to me George, but I don’t understand it. I never said anything about any “negative feedback on line”, so I couldn’t have been “referring to” anything of the sort. I’ve only relayed my concerns about my personal conversations with you by phone and email.

However, now that you bring up this Kijiji deal that went bad… that does give me even more concern. As a business person myself, I believe whole-heartedly that it is the business that chooses to accept a risk in the HOPE of a reward (in the form of a profit). The customer isn’t privy to that reward, and thus does not partake in the risk. So when a 3rd party (in this case, Kijiji) doesn’t pay you… that shouldn’t AT ALL affect your responsibility toward the customers that paid good money in expectation of getting a product. Now, if they got their money back from Kijiji, I suppose all’s well that ends well, and I should hope that was the case! But this reminds me of a recent event here in Kelowna. We had a local version of this kind of social deals thing (like Groupon, etc). It was called Twongo (and later GoSango). It went belly up and a whole bunch of businesses went unpaid. Customers had already paid but the businesses weren’t getting any of it. SUCKS TO BE THE BUSINESS, but that’s the risk you take as a profit-seeking business! The respectable ones still honored their deals. They sucked it up, provided the product or service and wrote off the loss as they absolutely should. Those that felt “it wasn’t my fault” and refused to service their customers, are what I call “crooks” (but you call “any business”). Some of them would have had to declare bankruptcy had they honored their deals… and while that’s unfortunate, that’s what they should have done. What they chose to do instead was far worse. They now continue to operate a meager existence with this stain that will never go away. Some even changed their name hoping it wouldn’t follow them (sound familiar?).

Of course, that’s just an anecdote. I’m not saying that relates exactly to what happened in your case. But your flippant “any business would do the same thing” got me a bit fired up. I absolutely would not have. I would have taken advantage of the situation and made sure the local papers and radio knew I was going above and beyond to honor them even though I wasn’t getting paid. But I guess that’s just me.

Anyway, that’s beside the point. My point is that you were quoting me as having referred to this past sour online deal. I didn’t.

• Steven

Hi Steve, You misunderstood,

Kijiji collected the money then ended up refunding there clients,
i couldn’t deliver product that wasn’t paid for?? and of course it was kijiji responsibility not mine to refund as they had there clients money…(Which they did in the end)

Cheers
George

I don’t think I misunderstood… I acknowledged that I didn’t have all the particulars to make a completely informed opinion. As I said:[quote]Now, if they got their money back from Kijiji, I suppose all’s well that ends well, and I should hope that was the case![/quote]And I’m glad to hear that was the case. In any event, I never brought that up… I never even knew about it before you mentioned it.

I admit I have a poor opinion of those social “deal” sites anyway, after having been personally “screwed” on several deals by Groupon and the aforementioned Twongo. I’m sure that negative bias came through in my last statement and it, perhaps, unfairly tainted the post with a negative light to you. I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t my intent… but it was unfair since I didn’t have all the info, so I’m sorry for that.

Hi Steve,
No worries, you’re a Gentleman for apologizing, Thank you.

All The Best to you, and i honestly hope you purchase a Latex mattress (regardless who you purchase from) rather than settling for an inferior sleep system. Eg, Coil, Memory foam. I am certain you will be glad you did!

Cheers,
George