Latex: Nature's Sleep in Canada?

George

Hi Natures Sleep Canada,

I’m not sure if you were replying to me or bcsteve but hopefully you will have the chance to reply to some of the questions and comments in my last reply.

I think that part of this is that so often in the industry what appears to be a “good deal” often isn’t and it’s important for a consumer to know the difference between a “good deal” and “cheap”. Value is always about much more than just price or the raw material cost of a mattress and there are many factors that may be important parts of each person’s personal value equation that have as much to do with the entire purchase experience both before and after a purchase and the service of the retailer or manufacturer they purchase from as the mattress itself.

Again … price is only one part of value and all the objective, subjective, and even intangible parts of a mattress purchase that are most important to each person and the ability to have the accurate information that makes meaningful comparisons possible are more important than just price alone … although of course price is always an important part of any “value equation”. Those that look at price alone often tend to make the biggest mistakes.

If you take a specific retailer or manufacturer out of the picture (in this case you as Nature’s Sleep) … then I think that you and most people would agree that knowing what you are paying for, what you will receive, and when you will receive it are just as important and due diligence about the mattress, the retailer or manufacturer you are purchasing from, and their reputation and history is always an important part of an informed decision. All of these are the basis of “trust” which is always an important part of any purchase.

If everything involved with the purchase went as expected then of course it has good value but it’s never safe to assume this in the broader market and there are many instances where similar “deals” with other companies (including with Nasafoam) have fallen apart and then the “value” of the purchase isn’t particularly good at all and a transaction that seemed to have great value certainly wasn’t.

None of this is of course about Nature’s Sleep specifically … only about the importance of due diligence and “risk management” in any mattress purchase in general … particularly when it is online.

I hope you have the chance to answer some of the questions from my earlier post or at least let us know which ones you aren’t comfortable answering so that each person can decide on the “value” of a purchase from Nature’s Sleep or any of the other related sites based on the criteria that are most important to them.

I also hope you don’t take any of this personally and understand that these are just legitimate questions that should be asked of any retailer or manufacturer as part of transparency, knowing who you are dealing with, and good research.

Phoenix

They are legitimate questions. And its unfortunate he chose to respond to a very old post instead of yours, which we’re all waiting for.

Btw, I don’t think he was responding to either of us Phoenix. It seems apparent he’s responding to post #12

Hi bcsteve,

I think you’re probably right … and I also hope that some of the unanswered questions can be moved into the “answered” column :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Did anyone end up buying the LivingSocial deal? It says 19 purchased… I hope somebody has feedback from their purchase!

Still hunting…

I am currently looking to buy a new mattress (feeling very overwhelmed but thankful for all the valuable info this website has provided). I found this company’s website and was interested but wanted to do more research and found this thread. Reading through the posts made me feel skeptical but still considering them, until I read the post about Kijiji Daily Deals. I am VERY wary of daily deals, but I actually worked for Kijiji Daily Deals, as did some of my close friends. I checked with a couple friends to make sure I was remembering right, but the reason they weren’t paid by Kijiji Daily Deals is because they didn’t provide the product. The reason I’m wary of daily deals is not because of the deal companies themselves, but there are a lot of shady companies that don’t provide the service/product and then blame the deal company. Anyway, I just wanted to share this info. Maybe people will end up getting a great mattress from them, but I personally wouldn’t go near them.

Thanks for your valuable input Tasoz~

Hi tasoz,

Ditto to Nat’s comments :slight_smile:

I still hope that they will provide more meaningful answers to some of the questions in this thread but in the meantime if I was considering a purchase from them I would be more inclined to make a purchase of one of their mattresses if I was local and that I could test in person in their showroom and take the mattress home that I purchased on the same day I paid for it.

Phoenix

Hi Tosoz,

Firstly your comments are incorrect,

You said kijiji daily deals didn’t pay me because i didn’t deliver? thats Not True! (i can prove this )

I called off this deal when i realized i was dealing with a Bottom Feeder organization who has no regard for there customers. also
when you sign an agreement with a daily deal site, the Terms of the contract are clearly written. kijiji defaulted on the terms of the agreement ,
i had never dealt with kijiji before, The only mistake i made was ever signing a Deal with Kijiji Daily Deals, but i guess you live and learn.

Cheers
George

Has anyone out there purchased the living social deal?

anyone?

WARNING !!!:

I wanted to add some information that I discovered this morning and add a strong warning for anyone who reads this that http://www.naturessleep.ca/ is a company that it would be a very smart idea to avoid completely.

I talked with George at http://www.latexglobal.com/ (this is their supplier not the George from Nature’s Sleep) this morning and they are about to take legal action because the latex they sent to Nature’s Sleep hasn’t been paid for and they are no longer even picking up the phone when they call to find out where their payment is.

They also made clear that Nature’s Sleep is not authorized to use any of their certifications and that the latex they sent wasn’t organic latex.

I also talked with John Meloche at Living Social and they confirmed that Nature’s Sleep didn’t abide by the conditions of their agreement… Some of the people who purchased their mattress through Living Social had already complained and received a refund and that there is a good possibility that none of them may receive their mattress. They are attempting to contact all the people who purchased through their deal to find out whether they received their order and for anyone who reads this and purchased through Living Social he asked that they call him directly.

EDIT: all questions about this deal can now go through their customer service department here.

For those who have purchased from them directly I would urge you not to accept any delays in delivery (and preferably not to deal with them at all) and if there are any delays to attempt a refund through your credit card.

With their history and the information in this thread it’s clear to me that this is not a company I would suggest doing any business with!

Phoenix

Glad I listened to my gut on this one.

Edit - nevermind, I see from another thread you’ve already talked to Geoff from Sleepys.ca. Carry on :wink:

I appreciate that, but actually I went with my gut on that one too. I live in Kelowna but decided not to spend my money at that store for various (but perhaps silly) reasons. Actually, its a bit ironic, come to think of it.

See, the “problem” (if we can call it that) was that his website clearly advertises a price match (“or its free” - yeah right) guarantee. I’m a responsible shopper, so I shopped. It was the Nature’s Sleep website that I was asking if he’d match, because it appeared to be an identical product but $600 less (since then and now, that same 10" product is no longer advertised at nature’s sleep, but it was there… I promise). It couldn’t hurt to try, right? Well… Geoff started getting defensive and saying that this “nobody” that he’d never heard of and he was a “fly by night” (and there, of course, is the irony… he was right!) and he uses Chinese latex (how would you know? you haven’t heard of him, right Geoff?), etc etc. But whatever, I can forgive all that. What really rubbed me the wrong way was that he then said, “look, I won’t match it but I’ll give you the very best price I can” and I was like, “great, that’s all I’m asking”… he then proceeded to do a bunch of calculations on his handy calculator before scratching his head for dramatic effect… and promptly giving me a $120 higher quote than he just gave me 2 days before for the same product. Huh? the “best price I can” is higher than the “hey you just walked in” price I just got? That kind of flippant off-the-cuff pricing is something I don’t like. It is very used-car-salesman and I chose to say “no thanks”

However: He WAS right about “George”. He IS very knowledgeable. His prices aren’t THAT bad. And he’s LOCAL. So I’m not at all saying your suggestion is a bad one.

I ended up ordering my bed online from a US retailer and I drove down to Orrovile, WA to pick it up. I saved probably about $750 after accounting for everything but my time. But honestly, considering the 2-3 months of research and frustration I put in leading up to the purchase… obviously my time isn’t worth anything in this regard :slight_smile:

Would I do it again? Yeah, probably. I think I have an identical product to what Geoff was offering at a significant discount… and, well, Geoff’s price flopping annoyed me what can I say? But I’m sure that was more of a personal thing that others really shouldn’t factor in with their decision… it was just me.

Hi again :slight_smile:

I said it may take me a while but just neglected to get online & actually post, sorry

We did purchase an all latex mattress made in Canada with the Latex being poured over seas but I will get to that in a minute

I have discovered a few places on the way that might interest some people that live near me

In Hamilton the is a manufacturer who has been around for a long time but seems to be missed Online
Their name is CJ Mulholland
They have 2 showrooms with one being the factory or attached to it or something. I visited the other location
Everything they have is made by them, they use local foam & other materials & all the mattresses look great
There are samples on most of the beds of the materials inside the mattresses
They also had a sample of a mattress cut open which showed all the good things you hear about for spring mattresses
like high quality gelfoam, metal side supports on spring frame, stapling of all sections,etc
They only had two basic Latex models, both natural but with a foam base,one tallaly & one dunlop
The best thing about them is that the sales lady was in direct contact with the manufacturer and she knew he would work with me on cost or talk about layers. She was unable to get an immediate response but called me the next day with lots of options

In Cambridge, Ont where Natura is (but is sold) there is a shop set up in “Southworks” now
I believe it is to sell inventory etc.of the original owner(lady said it is run by them)
They had a few on the floor to try of which one was said to be totally natural consisting only wool & latex & cotton (others have foam
What was more interesting is the sales woman was in direct contact with the owner {via txting with immediate response} who was willing to work out deals with me and also custom make a mattress’ for the other person in the store. At the time I had already made my purchase so I cant elaborate, sorry.

I hope this can hepl, especialy those who love a spring mattress, there are options

We bought our mattress in Toronto (at least I call it that :whistle: its actually Mississauga, so we didnt hit the traffic though they are planning a Toronto store…in actual Toronto)

We went to Dormio and talked to John(the owner) for a long time
Well I talked and he stayed well past close to allow me to talk & lay on every bed in the store!
He was really laid back and answered all my questions(even personal ones) without being pushy, just let us do our thing

All the beds were beautiful and clean, though he kept apologizing about the mess ( a few things out of place)
They were not even comareable in comfort to the Latex models i had tried at the other stores.
A lot of the beds had dual sides so you could try so many different ones and also custom make what you need
They are all made locally, as well as some pillows & the beds (I think in Ottawa?) we loved everything especially the pillows
So we had a bigger bill the nessesary but worth it to be a little spoiled

After trying everything and John teaching us what beds might work for our bodies we went with…

Dormio Delight Organic mattress from the Legacy collection

6" Firm
2" medium
and a 3.5"topper with

2"soft
1.5 "wool

my husband can have just about any bed as he is lean with even weight distribution but I am short & hippy so I need some softness, which is ok because he likes softness. We chose this one because we both loved the feel of the topper. We tried another bed with the same “stats” but wasn’t quite the same. It was nice that we can have the same bed so we didnt get a dual though the prices were close, making me think that maybe we were going to actually pay for the bed not just a fad

The one thing about the store was that each mattress had its own price sign. The top price was a little crazy, then the list price, then some had a lower sale price. I liked though that it listed all size prices not just twin or queen, so you could easily visually price compare in the store.

Our bed was listed at 3,198.00 for King size (which is what it is on the website right now)
but John did bring the price down a little for us. Maybe he liked us :wink:
(or maybe he wanted me to go home, or post on Mattress Underground, or he felt bad for my husband,or we bought so many other things) :silly:

I did mention this site and he was familiar with it because you had apparently contacted him & drilled him for over an hour
I loved that!! It made me feel even better about this site! He said there may even be discount options later on?

Since that day my husband and I have been communicating with Steve
emailing stats, informing us about things and arranging delivery

Our bed was made and delivered in the 3 weeks John said it would
All except our pillows(which apparently comes from another manufacturer)
but Steve informed us previous to that asking if we would like the bed now & pillows later or wait and deliver all at once
Our pillows have arrived a little over a week later via Canada Post. Again with a prior email from him

Delivery was on a Saturday morning 10am(said between 9 & 12)
They even apologized for being later than expected
It was a small clean truck and the 2 men were clean and well mannered and smart( coming in to asses before moving anything)
Though I am not convinced they were both professional movers, they managed the packages well and were very nice

So now I have my bed, well it feels like it, as king is huge, I am so happy!
Everytime I sit on my bed I giggle a little, like I have forgotten how comfortable it is.
My husband sleeps like a log & I stay asleep longer, its great
We both agree it smells a little but not in an offensive way, just different. It isnt bothering me anyway

Thank you so much for your help & I hope this helps some others as well

Let me know if you want more informtion
But hopefully Dormio will end up on here along with CJ Mulholland, just because a girls gotta know she made a good choice :kiss:

Hi sherren,

Thanks for sharing some great feedback … I appreciate it.

They certainly make some good quality mattresses and they are listed as one of the better sources in Southern Ontario although I wasn’t too impressed with the owner and more by their staff. You can see some of my comments in post #8 here.

I have also talked with John on several occasions and was impressed with his knowledge and experience and the service he provides to his customers. He is clearly “mattress people” :slight_smile:

Most of all … congratulations on your new mattress. It seems to me that you certainly made a great choice :slight_smile:

Thanks again for sharing your feedback and I think it will be helpful for others that read it as well!

Phoenix

Phoenix ,

Honesty i thought you where trying to be a mattress expert of sorts, but rather i am finding your blog to be more of a gossip colume of who said what ?? Lol

I have been in contact with living social and they inform me that this slanderous, malicious statement you are making diid not come from John Meloche and or a Living Social employee?? (I have this in writing from living social)

So why are you in fact making these malicious, slanderous comments,? if you read below i have spoke to Living Social and your information is completely false, and due to your inability to follow up and confirm as there are always 2 sides to a story and I’m sorry to say (you don’t have a clue as to what you’re talking about)

Remember when we spoke originally i had concerns with regards to you being impartial if you are in fact collecting payment from other Latex manufacturers when you send referrals to them, you are clearly not transparent and in fact biased!

Please read below, Living Social Sent me an email asking me to contact you to remove your comments and they claim non of it came from them?? I would recommend you contact the undersign or remove your slanderous comments because they are untrue.

QUOTE "Our best recommendation is discussing removing these reviews with the owner of the
blog website. "

We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,
Sayra

Sayra Ramirez
Merchant Services Representative | Merchant Services | LivingSocial
[email protected]
Merchant Services: 877-556-4078 | Fax: 866-789-1777

Oh God… give it up man. You’re a fraud. Period.

The amount of money Phoenix could POSSIBLY be bringing in from referrals vs the amount of time he OBVIOUSLY puts in… give me a break. He’s educating us while you’re trying to pull the wool over your customers’ eyes.

Really… just get a proper job to make money and stop trying to trick people into parting with their money.

Hi Natures Sleep Canada,

I’d think you would realize that the email you received is a “standard” customer service email which they would send to anyone that had an issue of any type and is just generic pacification. They certainly weren’t apologizing for anything that Living Social did wrong because they didn’t do anything wrong.

As you also know (because I posted it) the information I posted came directly from the sources I listed.

I also talked with John again today and he said that all concerns or questions about this “deal” should now go through their customer service department so I’ve removed his phone number from the previous post and replaced it with a link to their site so their customer service department can deal with any further concerns and questions.

As to the rest of your comments I think that each person can decide for themselves about credibility.

History sometimes has a way of repeating itself.

Phoenix