Latex options in Philadelphia

Hi, i have been looking for a new mattress for a couple months and recently bought (2 months ago) a major S brand foam mattress. I have been completely dissatisfied with the mattress and the support as it has become way softer in such a short time frame. I am a heavier person 225 lbs, who suffers from chronic low back issues and I just had a total disc replacement (artificial disc) at l5-s1 3 weeks ago. I have been lurking and reading on this site now for about a month and researching mattresses all over. I recently went to the verlo store in west chester hoping to try a latex mattress only to find that the owner Foster stated that they haven’t really been dealing with latex lately due to vendor issues and did not have anything available for me to try in latex. They did have alot of affordable quality innerspring mattresses and the owner was very open to building something specific to the customer but i think i am looking for foam or latex as opposed to innerspring. I am currently looking at two beds, the Aloe Alexis from Brooklyn Bedding and the Regalis from Select Foam and having a difficult time making the decision as I have not had the chance to lay on a latex mattress and all the reviews of both of these mattresses seem to be positive. Is there anywhere in the philadelphia area you are aware of where I could try a latex mattress to get an idea of if i would like the brooklyn bedding mattress? I do like the feel of the memory foam I have currently (serta cool elegance) but it is not supportive enough for my back when laying watching tv or working using my adjustable frame and when sleeping on my side at night it does not keep me aligned as my hips sink too far into the mattress. I assume you can’t recommend one of the two mattresses I am currently looking at based on them being and apples to oranges comparison. Any help you could provide or further insight would be great.
thanks!

Hi smeagol108,

Both of these use high quality materials and have no weak links in their design in terms of durability (including for your weight) but latex and memory foam are very different materials and have a very different feel and performance. There is more about some of the basic differences between them in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know which one you prefer (and it’s a preference choice) is your own personal testing and experience.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Philadelphia area are listed in post #4 here and there are a a fair number that carry latex or latex hybrid mattresses so you could test a range of different types of latex and different designs to get a sense of what latex mattresses feel like in more general terms (although there are many different versions of latex and latex hybrid mattresses that would have a wide range of firmness levels just like there are many different versions of memory foam mattresses that can also have a wide range of firmness levels).

I would also make sure that you have a more detailed conversation with any online manufacturer about any mattresses you are considering so you have some confidence that a mattress (or customized comfort level) you are considering is likely to be a good match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Thank you, i am going to try cellaluxuria in order to try the savvy rest and see what a layered latex mattress feels like. They are only a few blocks away from me. Hopefully this will help in making the decision between the Regalis and the Alexis.
thank you.

Hi smeagol108,

That’s fortunate that they are so close. I would also make sure you test the difference between Dunlop and Talalay (the Alexis uses Talalay).

Phoenix

So I pulled the trigger yesterday and spoke with Jason at Brooklyn bedding for about twenty minutes and ended up purchasing the aloe Alexis in a medium firm (level 5). He was very helpful and great to work with. I am looking forward to receiving my new mattress sometime next week. He gave me the mattress underground discount as well as the two free pillows. I will definitely be back with my thoughts both initially and once I have had some time on the new mattress. Thank you all for the great help and information.

Hi smeagol108,

It sounds like you did some good research and ended up making a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hey Pheonix, quick question, wondering if you could help. I am still waiting on my alexis from BB (should be here thursday, cant wait!). Anyways, Sleepys was here on Friday to pick up the Serta Cool Elegance mattress which I was returning withing the trial period. Prior to purchasing that mattress, I knew nothing of mattress construction etc… and it wasn’t until after that unhappy purchase that I found this site and educated myself. On that note, I looked at the Law tag on the mattress when i took it off my bed friday for sleepys to pick up. I have attached an image for you to see. Pretty much the law tag said:
98% Polyurethane Foam
2% Gel Infused Latex

Does this mean that in actually this mattress was truly 98% just polyfoam? I ask because 1, the mattress got super soft super fast (within 60 days) and two they advertised it has having about 5-6 inches of various Memory Foam/Gel Infused Memory layers above a foam core. When I saw this tag, I was like wow, did they really lie that badly about what was in the mattress?

The only other thing i thought was that maybe this law tag referred to their stretch knit cover specifically and not the mattress itself? Is that normal for there to be a different law tag for the mattress than their zippered cover which they tell you not to remove? I never removed it to look to see if there was an additional tag underneath. Thoughts?
Anyways, really doesn’t matter as the new Alexis is on its way!

Hi smeagol108,

Memory foam is a type of polyurethane foam so it’s not unusual to see memory foam listed on a law tag as either polyurethane foam or viscoelastic polyurethane foam. The law tag would be for the mattress materials but it includes the memory foam under the more generic polyurethane description.

Both memory foam and polyurethane foam have some very low quality and less durable versions so either one could soften fairly quickly … especially as it breaks in during the first 90 days or so. While I don’t know the specifics of the Cool Elegance … it’s clear that it does include memory foam in the construction so from this perspective they were giving you correct information.

Phoenix