Latex or Memory Foam in NC

My wife and I are beginning our quest to get a new mattress. We’ve made two trips to retail stores (Sleepy’s, and the Sleep Number Store). I was not impressed at all by the Sleep Number Store. Sleepy’s had some comfortable Tempurpedics and Sertas, but were way more than I wanted to spend.

I have done extensive online research over the past month. I read a lot on sleeplikethedead.com, and then began reading extensively on this website. We are currently sleeping on a 21-year-old Queen Size Simmons Beauty Rest. We added a 2" memory foam topper about two years ago. Initially that greatly improved our sleeping experience, but after about 6 months, our comfort (especially mine), began to wane. I am not even sure what the density of the foam on the topper is, but it is too soft now, and the innerspring mattress below it already had severe permanent depressions before we added the topper. Needless to say, it is time for a new mattress, and we are not taking this purchase lightly.

From the research I have done so far, I think that a latex mattress or a high quality memory foam mattress will be what we end up with. At this point, I am initially trying to eliminate options to help further narrow my choices. Initially I liked the sound of the Bedinabox mattresses, but after doing research here, it appears that their top layer of memory foam is not dense enough to provide the durability we need. I am 5’ 7" and approximately 200 lbs. My wife is 5’3" and approximately 125 lbs. We are looking to move up to a king size mattress for the extra space. I live about 50 minutes from the Rocky Mountain Mattress Outlet store in Mooresville, NC. I have never been to this store, but I understand I need to call and make an appointment, so that is one place I plan on visiting in person. Their prices are quite a bit higher than Bedinabox or the Ultimate Dreams King Eurotop latex mattress made by Dreamfoam Bedding that I have been researching on Amazon. However, I would like to “try out” the mattress I eventually buy, if possible. I am also a member of Sam’s Club, and I am wondering if any of their Night Therapy memory foam mattresses are worth looking into, or if that is just a waste of time…

I guess my other questions for this forum are:

1. Are there any other local (or somewhat local) options for me to consider near Winston-Salem, NC?
  2. Does anyone have positive (or negative) experiences with buying a Dreamfoam Bedding mattress from Amazon site unseen?
  3. I have read most of the introductory information on this website. What else can I do to help focus on the right purchase?

Thanks in advance for your replies…

Hi Kham,

Lake Mattress in Mooresville is no longer open but you can visit the Lake Mattress factory in Conover and they can put layers together that use the same materials as the Rocky Mountain mattress you are looking at to give you a good sense of how their mattress will feel.

Night Therapy is one of the Zinus brands and you can read a little more about them in post #31 and #32 here along with post #2 here. A forum search on “Night Therapy” will also bring up more information about them as well including this post which would be a typical experience with lower density or less durable materials. I would tend to avoid most of their mattresses because they use lower quality/density materials than I would be comfortable with (see the guidelines here).

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Winston/Salem / High Point / Greensboro areas are listed in post #2 here.

Dreamfoam only sells online so everyone that has purchased them would be buying them sight unseen. A forum search on Dreamfoam or on Ultimate Dreams will each bring up hundreds/thousands of posts that mention them which includes a great deal of feedback about their mattresses from the members here. The Eurotop provides the option of changing the firmness of the latex comfort layer which can help reduce the risk of choosing a mattress that is too soft or firm that you can’t test in person. A forum search on Ultimate Dreams Eurotop will bring up more specific information and feedback about the Eurotop as well. I would be cautious though about using other people’s experiences as a guideline for your own because a mattress that is “perfect” for one person in terms of PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on and if you are considering an online purchase then I would always make sure that you have a more detailed conversation on the phone with an online manufacturer or retailer so they can “talk you through” the firmness level that has the highest chance of success and then you can use the firmness exchange option as your “backup”.

The mattress shopping tutorial has all the most important information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choices but of course if you have any specific questions that aren’t answered there then I’d be happy to answer them to the best of my ability as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I went to B & L Bedding in High Point today. The showroom wasn’t much to speak of. It was connected directly to their production warehouse. Boy did I learn a lot about mattresses today. The owner, Brian Walker, showed my wife and I how they put different types of mattresses together. We discussed foundations, innersprings, memory foam, and latex. We laid on several mattresses and have about decided to go with a King size latex mattress with 3" of Talalay latex on top and 6" of 2.5 lb poly foam core. He quoted us a VERY reasonable price with relatively inexpensive delivery and setup as well.

We haven’t purchased the mattress yet. I will probably shop around just a bit more. I appreciate you referring me to the local manufacturers in our area.

Thanks again. If you have any other comments, I’m all ears…

Hi kham,

Thanks for the update and your feedback … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

The materials this latex/polyfoam hybrid are all high quality and there are certainly no “weak links” in the mattress. If it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and it compares well to any other mattresses you are looking at based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering as a “final choice” IMO.

Phoenix