Latex over foam versus full latex

Is there a huge difference in quality between a latex over foam mattress (Amazon.com specifically) and a full latex mattress?

Buying my first real mattress and I’ll be moving apartments at least a couple more times in the next few years, so just wondering if full latex would be worth throwing down an extra grand given my situation. Budget isn’t really an issue, just looking not to over/underspend and regret it later. I’m in Chicago but need to act fairly quickly as lack of a mattress is holding me up from moving. Dreamfoam from Amazon is appealing because of fast delivery time with Amazon prime, but I’m not sure it’s the best option. Thanks! Great site btw.

Hi mw1197,

It would depend on the specifics of each mattress you are comparing butpost #2 here has more information about comparing a latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress.

Posts #2 and #4 here include the better options in the Chicago area I’m aware of including one of the members of this site that may also be well worth a visit so you have “final choices” between “good and good” to choose between.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I was close to going the hybrid route, but decided to go check out some mattresses at Verlo (it’s 15 minutes away versus an hour for My Green Mattress, though I’m still thinking of making the trip down there). I could actually tell the difference between the latex over foam and full latex. When laying down they both feel good, but after a few seconds the full latex feels more comfortable. Could kind of feel when the latex layer ended in the hybrid and you hit the foam layer, so that has me considering going the all latex route. I can afford to do it, but I just have to try and wrap my head around spending 2000-2500 on a mattress (tax + delivery).

Hi mw1197,

Latex is certainly a more costly material but it’s also a higher performance and durable material than polyfoam so it can not only make a difference in terms of PPP but will soften and break down much more slowly which can make it a better “value” choice.

If you are in a higher weight range (or in many cases even if you aren’t) then the deeper layers in a mattress can make a big difference in how a mattress feels and performs.

Your experience also shows how important it can be to make sure you follow the testing guidelines and test a mattress you are seriously considering for at least 15 minutes fully relaxed and in all your sleeping positions so as much as possible you are duplicating your actual sleeping experience instead of just testing for the “showroom feel” of a mattress which can be very different.

A trip to My Green Mattress would be well worth it IMO so you can include them in your “finalists”. They have some great quality and value options available and they are very knowledgeable and provide good guidance to their customers.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Looks like My Green Mattress is the next stop then. I’m ~150lb, so it probably didn’t have anything to do with weight, but the deeper layers did seem to make a big difference as you noted. The $600 Dreamfoam mattress from Amazon was tempting and while I’m sure it’s good, I can’t imagine it feels nearly as good as all latex or even the more expensive latex over foam hybrids that I tried out at the shop. I think I’ll try out some latex over foam/spring systems as well at MGM.

Hi mw1197,

Depending on the specifics of the latex over foam hybrids you tried (the type and thickness of the latex, the cover, and the type of base layers) … they could be very close. The latex itself may even be the same (blended Talalay) so there may be less difference than the price would indicate. Do you know the details of the hybrids you tried?

I’m looking forward to your feedback after a visit to MGM.

Phoenix

Here’s the hybrid I narrowed it down to: Directory of Verlo Mattress Locations. Find a Verlo Mattress store in your town.

The store owner told me the latex layer is 4 inches of Talalay, though the site says 6. Quilted cover made of bamboo and wool. Support layer is 1.8 lb density polyfoam.

Hi mw1197,

If there is 6" of latex in the Triumph then the closest mattress made by Dreamfoam / Brooklyn Bedding would be the Aloe Alexis which also has 6" of Talalay latex and a wool / polyfoam quilting although the Alexis has layers that can be customized or exchanged and uses a higher quality base foam (2.17 lbs density). They would be similar but not the same.

If it only has has 4" of latex then it would be closer to the Bamboo Bliss which has 3" of latex vs 4" and a wool / polyfoam quilting and a single layer of Talalay latex which can also be customized or exchanged and the better quality base foam. The Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex mattress also has 3" of Talalay latex which can be customized (but not exchanged) but has 1.5" of polyfoam in the quilting (no wool) and uses a 1.5 lb base foam which is lower density than the Triumph.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

So I made my way over to Quality Sleep/MGM today. I tried a couple different mattresses and while I can tell the difference in full latex, I think for my first mattress given my situation my price range should probably be more in line with something around $1k or less.

So the main bed I’m considering from there is the Emily, a pocket coil system. Specs in their store said:
1" Ultra Premium Foam
2" Gel Poly Foam
1" Quilted cover

The specs on the site are different though and mention blended latex.

The only latex over foam mattresses I’ve seen in stores are in the 1300-1500 price range for a queen, so if I was going that route I think I’d just go full latex, being in that price bracket anyways.

So right now I’m deciding between the Emily which I was able to try in store, or taking a flyer on a latex over foam mattress purchased online like the Dreamfoam 10" or maybe the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss.

Thanks again for all the info.

Hi mw1197,

There are a few others that have purchased the Emily and been very happy with it here and here and here (and all three chose the double sided version).

I’m not sure why the specs are different but of course they would clarify them for you.

Either way … there are certainly no weak links in any version of the Emily and it’s a great quality/value choice.

It’s nice to have final choices between good and good :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Almost too many choices though, haha.

I’m not sure if the Dreamfoam has any advantage over the Emily but I’m starting to lean towards the Emily just because even though it’s more expensive due to delivery + tax, I was able to try it in store. I’d have to try to get the correct ILD ordering Dreamfoam online. Oh and for what it’s worth, the specs for Emily were changed to 1" Ultra Premium Foam, 2" Gel Poly Foam, and 1" Quilted cover. The website just hasn’t been updated yet. Also for the Emily gotta decide between 1 or 2 sided. I’ve been told 2 sided will be slightly softer, but since it’s a pocket coil system maybe that trade off and the extra price for 2 sided is worth it.

Anyhow I’ll let you know which way I go.

Hi mw1197,

Local vs online and the importance of testing a mattress in person can certainly be a consideration for many people in their personal value equation. If the current version of the Emily is a memory foam / pocket coil mattress then it would also be an apples to oranges comparison because the Dreamfoam mattresses you are looking at are latex / polyfoam mattresses.

Either way and regardless of your material preferences you have some great final choices that are all in the “good value” range :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to hearing about your decision.

Phoenix