Latex over pocket coil mattress question

I finally decided on and ordered the WJS Southard Archetype mattress. I think it was a good choice.

I did get some more information about the topper that they use just so I can better match it. It is natural dunlop made by Latex Green.

He orders 70-75 kg/m3 density, though on the Latex Green web site I only saw it starting at 75. He mentioned he thinks it is around 20-25 ILD. Would you say that is accurate?

Also, I see other sites (SleepEz, RockyMountainMattress, NorthenNaturals) selling toppers from the same source with a variance of ILDs in the 20’s range.

SleepEZ 20-22 ILD
Rocky Mountain Mattress 26 ILD
Northern Naturals 24 ILD

I do wonder if it is all the same 75 kg/m3 stuff from Latex Green?? Does each retailer do its own testing?

Hi zen4life,

As I mentioned … Dunlop ILD’s are “all over the map” and I don’t particularly trust any of them to be completely accurate. They are generally used to give a sense of relative softness but Dunlop is made to density. My “guess” would be more towards the 25 (or a bit higher) than the 20 part of the range.

Latex Green lists their 75 kg/m3 (+/- 5%) as 13 - 18 kgf which is kilograms of force. This would be @ 28.5 lbs to 39.5 ILD. Of course this is higher than the ILD really is because they are likely measuring this to a 40% compression rather than the more typical 25% compression which is generally used here. The “translation” to “our” ILD would depend on the compression curve of the latex between the percentages of compression.

They also make a latex topper which uses what they call a softer formulation than their latex cores but they don’t say if this is a lower density.

Latexco has a continuous pour Dunlop (slightly different from molded Dunlop) which is poured in the US and has a density of 60 kg/m3 and an ILD in the high teens which is comparable to Talalay but still has a higher compression modulus (so would feel firmer to most people than the Talalay equivalent).

The bottom line … especially with the ILD variance of Dunlop across the layer surface … is that it seems that almost every Dunlop ILD spec is somebody’s guess or a rough estimate. My contribution to the guesses for 75 kg/m3 +/- 5% would be more in the mid 20’s than the low 20’s.

Latex Green is one of the more popular Dunlop suppliers that are used because they make high quality latex and they are readily available. If they are all ordering the same density toppers, then the “real life” ILD’s would also be the same yes.

And congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I can’t seem to find many online retailes that have a decent price on a topper and also allow exchanges.

3" Dunlop Topper :

Sleep EZ ($520, velour cover) → $30 dollar exchange policy, 90 days

Rocky Mountain Mattress ($508, bamboo cover) → shipping plus 15% restock fee

I could not locate any others with similar price points. Do you know of any?

Hi zen4life,

Are you sure these return policies apply to toppers?

The Rocky Mountain site says that toppers are not refundable and I didn’t see the policy you mentioned anywhere.

The SleepEz exchange policy you are mentioning is their mattress layer exchange policy.

I would call and ask them if these apply to toppers. If you have and they do … let us know … it would be great to know.

SLAB has a return policy but you pay shipping and a 25% restocking fee.

If a return policy is a primary consideration … then the big box stores, some other larger outlets (Such as Sears or Wayfair and others that may each have a different policy) or Amazon have refund policies but their inventory often changes so it would involve an online search to find what they may have at the moment.

Phoenix

Weird, I thought I had replied…anyway, here we go again.

The ability to exchange is more of a priority than a return as I am already 90% sure the Latex Green Dunlop Soft (75kg) stuff will work fine. Just in case it is too soft, would like the option of an exchange.

I need to call Sean from Sleep EZ to verify the exchange policy on toppers as well as ask him about the density to see if it matches.

Rocky Mountain left me a voice mail stating they would exchange a topper as long as I pay shipping and 15% restocking fee. But you are correct, neither site posts a policy regarding toppers.

Hi Zen4Life, how do you like your mattress? what one did you go with? I’m in the northeast as well, looking for a king coil/hybrid, found your post very informative.