Latex Pedic Mattress

I finally came across a local place here in CA. Their website is a mess though. It’s all over the place.

I will be taking a look at their Organic Cotton mattress.
http://www.latex-pedic.com/Organic-Cotton-Latex-Mattress.htm

This is their brochure.

They are organic Certified.

Hi incognito,

The electropedic family of websites (including latexpedic) are all a horrible design and difficult to navigate!

You can read a little more about the Electropedic’s Organic Comfort mattresses in post #2 here. They use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their design.

The first mattress you linked uses Talalay latex which isn’t organic (there is no organic Talalay latex) but the second mattress uses organic Dunlop latex.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #7 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix

I’ve spent a great deal of time reading thru this site as I am in the market for a split king latex mattress and am trying to narrow down what to buy.

I’m lucky to be fairly close to Seattle and we have a couple local retailers in the area that I have visited. [the sleep store in bellevue, the six day mattress store in redmond]

I’ve tried out:
natures embrace unison 10
‘organic comfort’ [sleep store brand?] Talalay
PLB beautiful and WBM
electropedic 9" plush [who knows what model there website is terrible]
Natura organic [dont know the model but it was over $6k for a split king]

My question!
You said in the above post that there is no organic Talalay.
Are you sure this is true? I’ve had a few people tell me and even more websites lead me to believe that they are selling organic beds that are talalay.

second question:
I liked the unison 10 pretty good, the PLB beautiful a bit better, and the PLB WBM better still. Loved the Natura but its out of my budget. I have allergies and asthma and want to buy something that is not going to off gas at all. I have heard that the blended beds do off gas. What do you suggest?

Thanks so much for all of your time and this great wealth of knowledge

Hi nosamk,

Yes … I’m certain that there is no Talalay latex that is certified organic. If a retailer is claiming that their Talalay is certified organic then all you would need to do is ask them to show you the organic certification (which of course they won’t be able to provide). While some of the components in the mattress may be certified organic (such as the cover or the quilting) any Talalay latex in the mattress wouldn’t be.

There is more about the different “levels” of organic certifications in post #2 here and more about organic certifications in general post #2 here. There is also more about GOLS certified organic latex in post #6 here.

All latex will have some initial smell that will dissipate and reduce over time and all materials will have some degree of “offgassing” (even fruits and vegetables have a smell which is “offgassing”) but all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay and made with either natural or synthetic latex or a blend of both) are certified for harmful substances and VOC’s by either Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut and by most people’s criteria or by any reasonable standards all of them would be a very “safe” material.

There is also more about allergies (which are usually to dust mites or other particulate allergens) and methods that can be used to control dust mite populations or other allergens that can be related to mattresses and bedding in post #2 here and in post #3 here. There is also more about allergy encasements in post #2 here.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

While you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I can’t speak to which of the mattresses you have tested (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) would be the most comfortable or would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … you are certainly looking at some very qood quality options and in terms of durability none of them have any lower quality materials or weak links in their design.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for clearing that up as well as the helpful links!