Latex Pillow question / recommendation

We bought a couple RejuveNite Renewal (low profile) latex pillows from the Original Mattress Factory when we purchased our latex bed there in 2013. After about a 2 week adjustment period, I came to really like the pillow, relegating my old IKEA pillow to the secondary support position. My kids have come to love the pillows, too, so they have appropriated them for their own use. I’m looking to get another latex pillow, and I’m considering getting another at the Original Mattress Factory – though this time I think I would opt for the Restora high loft model because after breaking in the low profile version, I felt like a little more support would be preferable since I am primarily a back/side sleeper.

My concern about the pillows we have is that after about a year of use, I took off the protective fabric cover that comes with the pillow and noticed that there were a few small chunks of the latex that had come out, causing small divots here and there. There is a non-removable nylon liner that keeps the pieces from getting out, but I wonder how long it will be before larger pieces start to come out? Can I expect it to be a lumpy mass in 10 years? My kids do get a bit rough with the pillows occasionally, but I was surprised to see pieces coming off the pillow. Does this sound like a normal occurrence with latex pillows – I hope it isn’t happening to our mattress – or does it indicate a lower-quality latex?

I’d appreciate any recommendations for latex pillows, or testimonials from those who have experience using them. I was under the impression that The Original Mattress Factory uses high quality latex manufacturers (NuForm brand Talalay for the pillows).

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Jon K.

Hi jgkoch75,

Latex is a very durable material when you sleep on it but it can rip or tear easily when you pull or tug at it or grab part of a pillow or a layer so how much “chunks” would come out of a latex pillow would really depend on the circumstances and how it was handled over time.

Like many other manufacturers … Original Mattress Factory uses Talalay latex made by Latex International but all latex is a high quality and durable material … as long as it isn’t “pulled” or tugged to the degree that the latex tears. Even a tear or a few missing pieces won’t generally affect the feel and performance of a latex pillow but this would also depend on degree of course. The general suggestion with latex would be to be a little careful when you are handling it but when you sleep on it you will be fine.

There is more information and feedback about pillows in the pillow thread here.

Phoenix