latex & pocketcoils

I’m looking for a mattress that is made up of only latex & pocketcoils–i.e., I don’t want any of the myriad of foams out there (especially memory foam). I’m having a hell of a time finding what I’m looking for in Canada–everybody seems to like to sneak a layer of some kind of foam in there it seems. I found what I thought would be a great one at tmasc.ca, but the mattress would have to come from California and wouldn’t arrive for approx. 5 weeks.

I need it quickly, so I’m looking for something that is already made (i.e., not customized), and doesn’t have to cross the border from the U.S. into Canada.

Any chance anyone knows of some manufacturers that make what I’m looking for?

Hi icedawg,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in Canada in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market). While not a complete list, some of the better online options, including some members here of the site, that I’m aware of that ship mattresses and/or foam layers and components across Canada are also listed in post #21 here.

For what you are describing, TMASC would have been my initial recommendation, as they do offer what you were inquiring about.

If you can be more specific about your general location, perhaps there are site members with better knowledge of the local area who might be more informed of the specific style of mattress in which you have an interest (pocketed coils and latex, already produced, Canadian).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the welcome! I’m in Windsor, Ontario. The mattress doesn’t have to be Canadian–I just need it within the next 10 days or so, so I’m looking for somewhere that can get it to me quickly. Detroit is right across the border, but I worry about it being slowed down going across the border, and I don’t want to deal with freight shipping since I’ll need help getting it inside.

King size, somewhat soft (b/c I sleep on my side and have a low BMI), one-sided, only pocketcoils & latex (preferably Talalay).

Hi icedawg,

You can perform a forum search on Windsor or Detroit and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you. Perhaps there is someone carrying such a product with immediate pick up available.

Phoenix

Hrm. I had done that and really couldn’t find a good source for what I was looking for, but at your suggestion I tried again. Unfortunately a couple of the places mentioned in Windsor have closed. I’ve now visited multiple places in Windsor, and the sales people all look at me like I’m speaking a different language when I ask for a Latex/pocketcoil hybrid without any foam. They’ve ALL got foam somewhere. And they all want me to buy those damned S brand mattresses.

Is there any chance you have a list of manufactures–regardless of where they’re located–who have Latex/pocketcoil hybrids without foam? I can then try to see if any of them will ship to me.

Thanks.

Hi icedawg,

Within the manufacturing members here of the site (the only ones that I keep track of), for a latex/pocketed coil offering, you may wish to investigate:
Arizona Premium Mattress
Flexus Comfort Mattress Company
Luma Sleep
My Green Mattress

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I ended up going with a latex/pocketcoil hybrid from Black Sheep Mattress in western Canada. It’s a 2-sided mattress (their Devon line). It’s arriving later this week.

I’m just wondering if it matters what I put the mattress on? I’d like to just use a hard, flat platform. Any concerns with that?

thanks

Hi icedawg,

Wow – you went to the other side of Canada for that one. Well, congratulations on your new mattress order! :cheer: I’ll be interested in learning about your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Per Black Sheep:
We recommend either a box spring, a slatted wooden frame (with no more than 2" of space between the slats), or an upholstered foundation. Also ensure that your bed frame surface is flat (not bowed). The right base or frame improves mattress longevity and comfort, by allowing for better breathability (flow of air and moisture) as well as proper support and stability.

If you’re considering using a flat and firm surface, you may wish to use a coir bed rug on top of the flat base to allow for extra air circulation and to help control humidity.

Phoenix

I hear ya! It was the only one I could find that met my criteria. Well, there was tmasc.ca, who are a member, but they wanted me to arrange my own local courier (so that I could get white glove service), whereas Black Sheep arranged that for me w/o me asking. I just like places that simplify things, ya know?

Oh, just so you know, I bought a bed frame from memoryfoamcomfort.ca (a member here), but they wouldn’t honour the TMUD% discount code.

Thanks again.

Hi icedawg,

Thanks for the update. The TMU discount at MFC applies to the mattresses and not accessories. I’ll make an update on the members page to clarify that for others in the future. Thanks for pointing it out. I had it listed there previously, and then in one of the site updates I deleted it accidentally.

Phoenix